Derby Preview #782: Sci-Fi

Yeah, I will sometimes only sub to every other derby to give myself extra time to design. This derby thing has went through so many changes.
The announcements used to be on Thursdays at noon and the Derby would open on Friday at noon. There was a time, where they made the derby run Monday to Friday, then have a second derby that just ran over the week-end, the “week-end” derby winners only got $200 up front. I knew a few people that just subbed to those only.
Back in the day, they never printed anything but the first thru third place, then four more directly submitted for the rest of the days of the week. They had no ongoing catalog. They had the TOP 20, and as long as your shirt was in the top 20, you continued to sell. The top 20 in sales each week would stay and the lowest 7 would be gone forever. It was far more cut-throat.

I appreciate having the designs live for a bit longer. A few people bought a t-shirt after they saw me/a friend wearing it. It has been nice to have been picked as editor’s choice a few times, since I’ve never been in the fog of war at the time of ending the Derby. So I guess I shouldn’t complain too much about the rule changes. It just that the topics seem to be more like a reaaaaally general guideline, and sometimes it can be frustrating to work on a design for a week, keeping the rules at heart, and then seeing designs that are absolutely great, but not really on topic clean the house. I guess the other side of that coin is that those great designs may never see the light of the day if the rules become more strict. Anyway, I know I am ranting.

Oh yeah. If woot was as popular as it used to be, I would probably never get a print. I submitted over 300 designs before I got my first print.

2 Likes

Daily reminder to never complain… there’s always someone who has gone through more than I have, on everything :). I better get back into the coding zone. Super great convo!

2 Likes