Design Craft Solar Garden Lights

If I was to aim these down from a pergola (patio cover), do you think they’d give some nice light on the couches/table below? or are they too dim?

Good question. If they were pointed down like that, I would be worried they wouldn’t get enough direct sunlight to charge properly, and if they don’t get enough, once they come on, it probably wouldn’t last long. Pointed down, they may just want to stay on all the time because the light sensor wouldn’t get enough light, which is even worse. Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

It looks like the sensor is a small panel at the end of the string, not on each individual light. So if you strategically place the panel, that would not be an issue. Sorry I can’t help with brightness.

On the low voltage set, Design Craft 60507 Mini String Light, Low Voltage, can I string multiple sets together or can I tie them into an existing low voltage system? I would like to use 3 sets but don’t have 3 plugs to give up. Thanks

The vendor wrote in to tell us:

“For those multi-light kits which are on a string to a separate solar panel and can, the photocell sensor is built into the panel. So, the lights can absolutely be mounted in a downward position if desired.”

It looks like you can daisy chain them given they have that screw like endcap.

These are really, really weak lights. The string lights are .07W each, basically a standard small indicator LED as would be on the front of a computer. The other lights are not much better, .1-.2W. Consider, by comparison, that the lowest wattage LED MR16 bulbs sold for use in real landscape fixtures is about 5W. None of these lights will do anything more than identify a location. They will not provide enough light to illuminate a path, dine, or anything else remotely useful. IMHO total waste of money. The best lighting for a pergola that I’ve found are the LED rope lights Costco sells before Christmas (which includes now). I fastened 3 strings to the beams around the outside of the 300 square foot structure. They put out about 1W/ foot of rope. On a dimmer, it goes from perfect mood lighting to more than enough to play cards.

Hello from Design Craft - We actually carry 10 light extension sets for those who wish to string multiple sets together. While currently not part of this sale, we do have them available. Reach out to Woot Customer Care and we’ll be happy to arrange for you.

Hello from Design Craft - We can assure you that these lights are indeed bright white LED’s and have ample light output for use as pathway lighting. The string sets are great for use in mulch, gravel, or installed directly into wood surfaces such as decks or docks. We also include a spade bit specifically for those applications.

Do you have the exact measurements of the lights? I bought the Phillips one off of Woot years ago but it stopped working shortly after I hooked it all up… wondering if these will fit in the same holes i already drilled

DesignCraft-Can you post the lumens for each of these lights??

This would seem to make sense since the brightness of LEDs is determined in Lumen output, not Watt consumption…

Thanks!

I would also like to know the lumen per light.

I’m thinking a few lines of the 60507 would look great in the ceiling of my patio but need to know if they’ll only be accent lights around the border or can be used to light the patio for night time activities.

The lights themselves do not need to have direct sunlight as the large solar unit that connects each light, sends the power. You could easily mount that up on the pergola out of site making it a clean install. You would have to get lumen specs on the output, but if your looking for ambiance, any light works well.

Does the company have a website to look at installation options? I am thinking path lighting, but do the individual lights have a stake? Or can they be set in mulch?

With all due respect, bull. Provide the lumens specifications as requested by another commenter. That said, those 0.2w “path lights” are going to be in the range of 10 lumens each, which is maybe one third of a nightlight bulb. You can certainly see that in the dark, but not much more than that. Similarly, the 0.3W “spot lights”, in the 15 lumen territory, aren’t going to put a useful amount of light on anything. Not a door, a tree, a bush. It won’t be totally dark, but it’s a complete joke in terms of landscape lighting effect and path safety. Typical, useful LED path lights are in the 4W range. That creates a large enough, bright enough pool of light that tricky areas in paths like steps and turns and doorways can be seen at night. Less than that and you’ve got “runway lights”, which aren’t path lights at all, but which most cheap (and not so cheap) solar lights seem to wind up being deployed as. And certainly the idea of permanently installing such pathetic lights ina deck surface where powered and comparably priced alternatives are available is laughable.

Hmm, Googling the product description/number brings up this site for these bulbs. There are some product specs available.

IF that is the right stuff:

The 60503 (5 light set, 0.1 watts) : 10 lumens.

The 60504 (3 light, 0.3 watts) : 13 lumens.

And you can just change the product number in the URL to find the rest of the specs.

All of this hostility really isn’t necessary. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

It’s not hostility, it’s objective, fact and experience-based data supporting the conclusion that the bulk of these products don’t perform the function for which they are advertised.

Fine, if you think a set of runway lights is a good idea, go for it. I see a lot of houses with them, so you definitely wouldn’t be alone. But they don’t do much, and frankly a set of cheap, disfunctional lights detracts from the appearance of your home and landscaping. You don’t want people looking at your lights - you want them looking at what’s lit.

For the same money as these poor-output path and spot lights, you can get a single low-voltage fixture for about $20-75, depending on quality, that does the same job as at least 5 of them. You can up light a major tree with one well-chosen fixture and bulb. Most paths only need about 2 real lights.

Sure, it’s a bit more work putting the wires in and you have to buy a transformer, another $50. But it’s a massive difference in function AND value.

Fact:
Light output is not measured in watts.