DigiPro 8'' x 6'' USB Graphics Tablet with Cordless Pen

In for one, here’s to hoping it works with Vista 64-bit. If not I’m donating it to my church.

I want woot to sell a Cintiq.

does this work with widescreen monitors?

I’ll try to tell you everything I know about UC-Logic tablets.

In general: The stylus uses 1 AAA battery, unlike Wacom tablets that require no battery. Apparently, this type of tablet is cheaper to produce, but you can read the technical details on Wikipedia. The stylus automatically sleeps, so the battery lasts pretty much forever. Holding the stylus above the surface (hovering) moves the mouse. Tapping the surface clicks. The harder you press, the wider (or darker) your brush strokes are in a painting program. It’s pretty intuitive. The nib is a plastic nib that will wear out, especially if you use it much or use it on a rougher surface (e.g. tracing on paper). Finding a replacement stylus will be challenging, a problem exacerbated by cheap production quality.

On Windows, the tablet drivers come with miscellaneous software for annotations and such that I doubt most of you will use. You get to configure the active area of the tablet and how it matches up to the screen, as well as any gestures to launch programs and such. The tablet driver is the Wintab type, meaning any applications that support the wintab interface work, that being the majority of them (Photoshop, Painter, Artrage, etc.). It does not give you the Ink capabilities of Windows Tablet Edition, nor does it give pressure support to programs that only support Windows Ink.

On Mac, UC-Logic’s tablet drivers work with Leopard (10.5.2) all the way back to Tiger or something. Check UC-Logic’s website to be sure. It’s pretty simple. You don’t get too many options, but the Ink icon will show up in Mac’s System Preferences after you install it. Works as advertised.

On Linux, don’t attempt unless you’re daringly good at configuring X. They seem to present themselves as a standard HID device and the data from evtest looked correct, but for the life of me I couldn’t get Ubuntu to recognize it correctly. It will function properly as a simple pointing device, with left and right click, so you can use it as a mouse, although the coordinates are a bit off-scale.

[Edit:] It’s been a while since I tried it on Linux. Instructions for using this tablet on Ubuntu are at TabletSetupWizardpen - Community Help Wiki

can i use this to ‘wrie’ email and to draw a figure on the outlook express new message screen? can i create a txt file and draw a figure on the page of the file? can i do all this without creating it, saving it, and then attaching it? i dont want to do that… i want to write directly to a file page or email page… i use xp… i would appreciate your advice…

yes please!

in for one of these anyway. i always wanted a tablet but i didn’t want to spend $$$ for a starter tablet.

Bought one of these for my daughter for Xmas. She’s photoshopping in architecture design classes and loves it. BTW, the pen is battery powered because the pad tracks its position as it hovers the pad without touching it. The pen’s tip is also pressure sensitive (i.e. the harder it’s applied to the pad the wider or darker the mark). Thought it was a great deal for the money. I may have even paid 10 bucks more for it then.

Does anyone knows if this product works with AutoCAD?

Good post… Lots of good info.

512 levels of pressure? that’s kinda low.
the norm is 1024.

How does this work with MAC? Is the software included compatable? Are there restrictions on a MAC that are not there for a PC?

I would buy this immediately, except that I already own a medium size Wacom Bamboo which is great… but much more money.

The wacom Bamboo and Bamboo Fun are 512.

Not at all, especially at this price. Now if it was a wacom, which is industry standard, then it’d be another story :slight_smile:

Hmm. The UC-Logic site states 1024 levels. Maybe this is an older model.
Since this is significantly cheaper than a comparably sized Wacom, I just ordered one.
Not sure how this will react to a dual monitor, wide-screen setup.
I’ve never used a tablet with PS Elements before so hopefully it is useful.

Sorry to plead my ignorance, but what is a woot-off? I’m new to this and have heard the term but not sure how this works.

http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx#q9

I thought this video might be useful for those of you are interested in seeing the product and a short review:

Video Review

Does this work with anything other than Painter or Adobe Photoshop?

Hmm where’s my post? Anyways, this might be post #2. Getting 2 of them. 1 for the photoshopping wife and 1 for me! The love to draw on MS paint guy. Been looking for a cheap entry level tablet to mess around on! Thanks woot!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8981/buttcheeseeo8.th.jpg