Digital Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer

Digital Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer

Is this different from the digital I/R temp meter I use to check my A/C vents? I suspect it is calibrated differently to determine body temperature from the temperature of the skin of your forehead.

But I could be wrong!

I don’t have this specific model, but I do have one that is similar, and to answer your question as best as I can, yes, it is calibrated to adjust based on body heat readings, but mine (which looks just like this) also has a “surface temp” setting, which doesn’t make the same adjustment that the “body temp” setting does (it increases the temp measure by a couple of degrees, as far as I can tell, to accommodate for the fact external body surface temperature is inherently lower than the body’s internal temp.

I wouldn’t use this thermometer for the higher heat readings that I like to use for my BBQ grill or cast iron pan temping, though. I don’t know if that’s the same or different than the use case you mentioned. We have a discrete IR thermometer for that purpose specifically that’s calibrated for higher temps.

Dear Woot!,
You need to get over Chinese made products! US made products will be more expensive, however, some customers, myself included, will pay more to keep US citizens working. Please advise!

2 Likes

Curious, which brands of thermometers are made in the USA? I wasn’t aware of any but you’ve piqued my interest.

Exergen are “assembled” in USA. (Made in Massachusetts, depending on your politics… ) They are about 3 times the price as this one, if you can find them. I don’t know for sure, but I would guess that most of the actual components are still from China. There are strict guidelines about what “Made the USA” means and the next step down is “Assembled in the USA”.

2 Likes

I guess my point was more I didn’t think there were true “made in America” thermometers, but was asking them to prove me wrong. I’m all for infrastructure & US jobs but a biz can’t just pull out of thin air what doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

That was my point as well. It’s not really clear to most people how little actual manufacturing happens in US.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

The instructions are worthy of a third year med student to comprehend.