Disposable 4-Layer KN95 Mask 40/80/120

Reminds me of the argument over some “US DOT approved” roadside reflectors. The federal department of transportation does not “approve” or “certify” equipment. As long as the reflector was manufactured to DOT regulation/standards/whatever they could claim to be “DOT compliant”. Or some such nonsense.

1 Like

I also received the red packed masks, 2 boxes of 40 and 40 more loose in the package (120). What I find stranger is that I read the comments before purchasing last week and it was a different thread, but this is where the orders page sends me. I distinctly remember someone linking a suspect report on the masks I purchased.

1 Like

If you search the forums you’ll probably find it. There’s a lot of them.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

1 Like

Is it common for the purchased item to point to a new comment thread?

Found the thread

I am interested in hearing back on the manufacturer and share concerns on the lack of any information included with the masks. Every kn95 I have purchased from woot included manufacturing information and standards that could be followed up on

I’m not sure why it would direct you to a different one. I’m guessing it’s a glitch of some sort.

We have this weird glitch where an old sale will sometimes go to a new repeat event. They’re working on a workaround for this but it will be a while.

The vendor comments are here:

1 Like

Thanks TT, any recommendation while waiting for information?

The “fda certified” comment is of concern, I am of the same understanding as others that this is a marketing term and has no real meaning. If we can find out manufacturing information that can be matched to cdc testing it might help, but that begs the question of how to correlate the info with the packaging as the packaging doesn’t have any of that information.

I’d like to keep them but not without some data backing up claims of the manufacturer. I expected to be able to look them up on the CDC website after receiving them.

1 Like

We’ve updated it to FDA registered. It’s the same manufacturer. The report is linked in the features.

If you’re concerned with them at all, reach out to Woot! Customer Service and they’ll help you with a return.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

NIOSH tests, certifies only a fraction of what is sold, and in egregious cases of unapproved product changes has banned manufacuturer products for use in health care workplaces. It tests N-95 masks only. There are some KN95 masks that legitimately pass Chinese standards. 60% by one estimate do not!

CDC links to NIOSH resutls if available. They do epidemiology. They do no product testing and do no certification. it is updated weekly. Just because it is listed does not mean there is an endorsement. Caveat emptor.

FDA registers products and permits Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) but registration does not imply adherence to quality or endorsement.

For N-95 masks - it is clearer and stricter. How to tell if your N95 Respirator is NIOSH Approved

Yes, it can be confusing. It is easy enough to accidentally conflate the words, but we must do some reading when purchasing for our own, our family’s, or our workplace safety.

Hope this helps clear up some misunderstanding and is helpful to you all.

3 Likes

Thanks for the well presented information, I for sure mixed up terms. I was referring to this information the cdc links to for test results provided for non niosh respirators. Not being in the industry/field myself does make it difficult to navigate so I appreciate your insight.

2 Likes

Open and close case in the effect that these are probably not to be trusted. A product that has no manufacturer or model name on the package, wants us to believe that it passed the tests to be safe. I think not. Time to start a new search of an appropriate KN95.

Woot, you should not deal with this vendor anymore. It’s clearly that they’re just trying to make a quick buck.

FWIW, we’ve instructed the vendor to not make substitutions in the future.

2 Likes

Thank @ThunderThighs for looking out for your extended “family.”

Based on this thread, please know we come back to Woot largely because of you. On other competing sites, we might not go back.

5 Likes
1 Like

@ThunderThighs does this best at Woot:

1 Like

What is the conclusion? Is it legit product or should I return?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no one who does not have your received product can tell especially because more than one product seems to have been shipped even within the same order. You have to look at your box, what if anything is printed on your mask(s), and do your own research. Resources are shared above that can aid your decision.

We live in dangerous times. You have to do your own due diligence. Many Americans have not and the consequences are sadly obvious.

1 Like

I agree with this sentiment, thanks @ThunderThighs for your prompt responses and help.

2 Likes