DJI Phantom 2 Backpack Bundle

Will the gimbal be compatible with the Hero 4 black or silver?

Have you considered the Cheerson CX-20? Many of the same features, plus it’s equipped with an APM Open Source FCM so basically the capabilities vast. Price point about $250ish.

That would be wrong, because the definitions do not match. I can give a one sentence, easily understandable definition of ‘fully automatic firearm’ to differentiate it from a watergun. What is your definition of “drone” to differentiate it from this item… other than you not liking the term?

They updated the specs on the page. It now says it is V2.0. Yesterday it did not.

Actually the DJI Phantom does have Automation. You can set up way points and it will fly on it’s own to those way points. Here is definition, as well.

an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight:
the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
(loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
a radio-controlled drone.
an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight:
the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
(loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
a radio-controlled drone.

This just in:
TOY HELICOPTER LOST IN WASHINGTON, D.C.! DO PANIC!!!

Woot deities, you may want to put on the product photos a note that the GoPro camera is NOT included. I know it’s in the description, but the photos by themselves are rather misleading.

I’ve seen woot put in-photo disclaimers for iPhone accessories that the iPhone wasn’t included with the $10 accessory, an obvious statement. This GoPro not being included for a nearly $900 item is not so obvious.

I’ll pass this on to the team. Thanks!

You might be able too. But the panic’d sheep masses don’t. These are the same types that believe anything that looks black and scary is an “assault weapon” despite having the same action of most modern hunting rifles. It looks scary. It sounds scary. Therefore it is scary and the federal government must step in and do something about it!

Further - the definition can be amended at will by the elite class above you or I (or anyone here for that matter) to mean what they want. Hell, in parts of NY or NJ, an air rifle you can get at walmart is considered a firearm requiring a license, a slingshot is an “assault weapon”, an NFA regulated SBS shotgun is considered a pistol, and a Henry pistol is considered an SBR. I don’t make the rules. I just try to keep up with them so I stay out of silver bracelets.

Low information voters. Sheep. Call them what you will. They scare easily, like deer, or meerkats.

To answer your question:

If it requires a user to be within LOS, with a handheld radio, it is NOT a drone. If there is an operator with a handheld TX, it is an RC helicopter. Nothing more.

Enough scare tactics.

I have a few questions that may sound silly but for the life of me, I can’t find obvious answers. If I add a go pro to this (I know it doesn’t come with the camera), can I move the camera while in flight via the remote? I’ve heard of ‘upgraded remotes’ allowing for this, but I don’t know if the remote coming with this package supports that or not.

If it doesn’t - does this mean that the gimbal will simply keep the camera pointing at one spot irrespective of how the drone flies and turns?

The reason I ask is having played with other drones with built in cameras, I am used to steering via camera when drone is far away…

If I need an updated remote to turn the camera, can I actually see the camera via the remote (I.e. not need a dedicated laptop) or either way will I need a laptop/smartphone to view camera?

thanks…

Not silly at all. This hobby is filled with technology that can befuddle just about anyone.

So first answer… assuming the TX shown in the product pictures is actually the one included, you’ll have limited control over the camera. The camera will automatically adjust pitch and roll to compensate for the motion of the aircraft, while allowing you to use the silver dial on the upper left corner of the TX to control your pitch center point. In other words, to adjust the “up-down” angle of the camera to control if it’s pointing more at the ground, or at the horizon.

Here’s a simple example of how the brushless gimbal works: Quadcopter Gimbal Demonstration - YouTube

As far as using the camera to steer… this unit does not include FPV right out of the box. You’d need to add an FPV transmitter and receiver, plus a ground station monitor. There are a number of ways to do this. DJI offers a couple different very robust (albeit very costly) options, or you can hit the budget hardware on eBay or Amazon and accomplish this for as little as $130 for FPV transmitter, receiver and ground station monitor. There are also options that will allow you to use your smart phone as a monitor.

This already has a name. It’s an RC helicopter or quadcopter. An unmanned aircraft. Nothing about its operation is automated except the emergency safety features. A drone is synonymous with devices used by the military to fly automated patterns to spy or launch missiles. It has negative connotations already and need not be applied to hobby aircraft.

I’m also interested in knowing this. FYI, if the gimbal has a GoPro connector, it’s v1.0. If it has a USB ribbon cable, it’s v1.1.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I suppose I don’t ‘get’ its current configuration then - if you cannot see what is being broadcast, how the heck are you supposed to ensure you are getting the shots you want? I mean, ok, so I can’t use the camera as a steering mechanism, but sounds like I also couldn’t ensure in real-time that I am getting the video I want. At least, like you say, without potentially costly upgrades.

Aye, that it technically the case. Two things work in your favor though. First, GoPro has a fairly wide FOV. So it’s pretty easy to eyeball what you’re looking for and it’ll likely be in your shot. Also, if you have the motor skills to actually fly one of these in manual mode, chances are you also will learn pretty quickly to eyeball your shots pretty closely. Finally, you actually have the ability to pre-program your flight and the aircraft will execute your flight plan autonomously. With just a small bit of planning and mathematics, you’ll easily be able to ensure your shot.

But… for those that are particular about their images, that’s where an investment in FPV gear pays off. You can add video goggles like the FatShark Teleporter system for around $200. This system will transmit the actual GoPro video signal to your video goggles and you’ll have realtime video feedback.