Do you bake your own bread?

I feel like a bread machine is cheating. Set it and forget it?

I love fresh baked bread and go through short phases throughout the year where I’ll bake bread often. Homemade loaves are excellent for grilled cheese and French toast.

Unfortunately I have to limit my baking, otherwise my body goes into baby seal mode and tries to triple in size every 4 days.

seal pup baby GIF

6 Likes

I do Blueberry Banana Bread allll the time, or sometimes Banana Chocolate Chip (especially if it needs to be more shelf stable for shipping to friends).

I do pizza dough often enough, and bake regular breads a couple times a year.
I bought a Bread Maker here on Woot! LAST JANUARY actually, but it hasn’t made it out of the box yet (tsk tsk tsk ::hanging my head in shame:: ) - I really should try it out soon!

5 Likes

4 Likes

hmm,
you could turn your freshly made bread into resistant starch by freezing fresh slices and toasting them the next day
can avoid the glucose spike pretty well
then there’s sprouted grains breads too, like ezekiel found at the grocers ready made.

2 Likes

Starting a sourdough colony was my COVID project during that original quarantine in early 2020. I’m proud to say the colony, Mark ‘the plague’ Wahlberg, is still alive and produces a loaf every week!

5 Likes

This is one source of lightly-used or never-used bread machines seen listed for sale. :grinning: I thank people like you.

Seriously, I challenge you to take it out of the box, plug it in, open the recipe book included, and simply dump in the ingredients.

There seem to be two completely different species of people. After the first experience some are hooked. Some quietly put the machine in some dark corner, ignore it for as long as they can, and then sell or give it away (or maybe leave the task to their heirs).

I’m hooked. However, I gave a machine to a granddaughter who is so like me in many ways. Uh-uh. She is the other type.

No real logic I can see as to which type people find they are. But hope you take the challenge. You’ll either have a new friend in your kitchen, or you can clear out shelf space and try to find the orphan a good home. :grinning: :innocent:

Oh yeah, resale prices vary. But $25 is common. Almost new ones like yours somewhat higher. And there are regional differences and other variants.

2 Likes

I’m downright astounded at the number of references to bread machines in this thread. I thought they had all gone the way of every other 90s kitchen gadget… like the Ronco Rotisserie or the Dehydrator. Y’all making salads in your Presto Salad Shooters too? Maybe you’re more of a Veg-o-Matic kinda person? But really, no shade. I’m impressed.

3 Likes

I’ve actually owned one in the past - a hand-me-down from my grandma that eventually got lost during a move. But I did love it when I was using it.

I think fate might be conspiring for me to start making more bread… my mom just randomly sent me a kit for making your own Sourdough Starter.
:bread: :croissant: :baguette_bread:

Will this weekend be the time to open that bread machine box??? :thinking:

(gonna have to ease into sourdough! lol)

2 Likes

LOL love the name!

3 Likes

Of course I bake my own bread. Challah, Pan de Crystal, Sissel (rye), Pumpernickel and more, not to mention bagels of a wide variety, and bialys, english muffins and crumpets. All depending on my mood.

2 Likes

I only bake my own bread using my bread machine for the past 12 years now. I bake about a loaf each week. I never have to suffer with that store bought stuff and all of the added chemicals. I add chia seeds, ground flax seed and sunflower seeds to my mix to make it even better. Less than one percent of my loaves are ever have a problem. I keep my yeast in the fridge and mix all dry ingredients before putting them in the bread pan.

2 Likes

That sounds delicious!

2 Likes

Do you bake your own bread?
Not lately, my wife does that.

I used bake the bread when we had our sourdough starter going, some starter that I made myself. Named it Rambo. He got very strong/potent tasting after a few months and made the very best breads.

2 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

I’ve been baking my own bread in a bread machine for more than 12 years now. Hundreds of loaves. It’s great!

2 Likes

The problem with bread is it disappears and then you keep having to make more – it’s a vicious cycle.

cat try again GIF

3 Likes

When my last bread machine died (about 30 years ago) it was replaced with a dough machine instead since it was rare that I used the bread machine to bake the dough it mixed up.

Sure, it means extra handling of the dough in order to shape it, but I found the texture was better (to my tastes, of course) that way and the main purpose I used either machine for was the mixing and kneading. And I cannot completely avoid that if I want to make something special like pan de crystal, but the part I was always lazy about was the initial mixing, so…

2 Likes

No, my body isn’t hot enough.

I use my oven.

2 Likes

My bread machine is more than 20 years old & still works. Haven’t used it yet this year, but I make bread with it a few times a year. One thing I like is that it has a horizontal pan not the round one. Got it from DAK. Anyone remember them? They were like sharper image before they were a thing. I still have the recipe book that came with it. I think it’s a collectors item lol.

I should use it more often. The house smells wonderful when it’s baking.

2 Likes

Oh my, yes! I do remember DAK. I used to buy from them a lot. I bought my first bread machine from them, although it was the round pan type. I still have a couple two-line phones I picked up from their catalog.

2 Likes