Do you know how to fish?

The waters can be dangerous, no?

6 Likes

1 Like

I know how. Iā€™m just shit at it.

1 Like

I was just discussing this with my siblings not long ago. When we were kids, our Dad (who wasnā€™t around much) used to take us out fishing on the somewhat rare occasion that he was home. I guess that it was his way to fit in some ā€˜fatherlyā€™ thingā€¦ Anyway, I did learn how to fish. However, I found that my luck just wasnā€™t what othersā€™ was. The rest of my siblings and my father would catch fish all around me. I RARELY would get a nibble. I think that, in my entire life, I managed to catch ONE fishā€¦ and it was too small to keep, so we threw it back. I donā€™t know if I was doing something wrong, or if I just had absolutely terrible luck. I seemed to be doing exactly as everybody else was, but never had much luck. But, regardless of why, I just didnā€™t see much value in fishing. It became more of a drag to me, and would have rather just been left at home. My brother (who DID catch a fish from time to time) remembers it much more fondly, and even fishes on occasion, to this day. I, on the other hand, have not been fishing since I was around 12 years old, when my parents separated and divorced. (Then, after that, my father no longer had time to take us fishingā€¦ instead, Iā€™d have to sit in his apartment and get screamed at for having a %#^#* #^$&@# mother, every other Friday evening through Sunday evening, until I turned 18.)

Ahā€¦ such fond memories of fishing and childhood!
The Simpsons Animation GIF by FOX TV

2 Likes

Same here! Well, not in such dramatic fashion, butā€¦

4 Likes

Fishing, like many activities is most enjoyable if your first experiences are with a person that really knows what they are doing and can make it fun.

My grandparents had a ā€œfarm pondā€ as they called it. They had a bit of property in the county and they dug a pond and stocked it. We would go there and it was fun.

My great uncle had a cabin up in Michigan, I would go up with him a few times and spend a week. The fishing was AMAZING. He knew all the spots and when to go, and what pole to use. We cleaned up.

I used to go fishing in the local creeks and under bridgesā€¦ caught chubs and other weird little feesh.

I havenā€™t fished in many years.

1 Like

water fail GIF

1 Like

Poker Face Chump GIF by Rooster Teeth

Does this count?

6 Likes

I caught my first Rainbow Trout off a bridge when I was 6. Since then I have fished many times and many different places but my favorite spot is still my first.
Sip Trout GIF by Early Riser Coffee

2 Likes

There is something fishy about this question.

(Sorry, low hanging fruit as my friends would say)

2 Likes

Yes.
Fresh & Salt water fishing.

Havenā€™t gone in years but I still have all equipment.

4 Likes

I used to know a guy who fished with dynamite. His name was Stumpy.

4 Likes

Does it turn out like this?

4 Likes

Really this isnā€™t very specific. What constitutes fishing?
Putting bait on a hook and throw it in some water?
Throwing dynamite into a pond?

2 Likes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give that man a Swedish Fish (or ā€œScandinavian Swimmers,ā€ the alternative generic store brand), and he will say, ā€œYa, vas is gummy!ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been fishing since I can remember. Every summer my family, grandparents, and uncles and aunts and their kids would go up to the Sequoia National Forest to camp and fish. My first fish I can clearly remember catching was a rainbow trout from the streams there. We also went ocean fishing at least once a year, went clamming and crabbing, and hunted for abalone and mussels. We didnā€™t have a lot of money, so it was less of a pleasure thing and more of a way to get extra food on the table. I even caught a leopard shark once. Oddly enough, it tasted like calamari. Now that I have kids of my own I keep trying to make time to teach them how to hunt and fish, but itā€™s hard when all the places I went when I was younger are fished out, have little water from the drought, or are fish sanctuaries. But one day they too will learn how to catch, clean, and prepare a fish. And hunt. And grow things. And fix things. Became if there is one thing I want itā€™s for them to be self reliant. Itā€™s better for them to have the skills and never use them than to flail around helpless in case of an emergency.

2 Likes

Close up: man sitting in a small boat holding a fishing pole. The line stretches to the water. A slight breez blows by the boat.

Pan out to show the boat is the only one in a large lake.

The camera slowly goes below the water line to show a sinker on the end of the line with a worm laden hook about three feet off the bottom.

Pan further back to show there isnā€™t a fish anywhere to be seen between the boat and the shoreline.

That is me in the boat. Whenever I drop a line the fish disappear. Absolute waste of time. But a good reason to drink beer!

mehā€¦ as long as you can grow good olā€™ tomatoes and homemade wineā€¦ youā€™ll be golden :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Does ā€œskin a buckā€ mean something different than literally, skinning a buck?
Cuz, thatā€™s the easiest part, cutting it into the proper cuts is the tricky part.
Save the backstrapsā€¦ those are yummy.

1 Like

lolā€¦ I think in the song he means the whole process, but ā€¦ even at thatā€¦ that may be the easy part for you. If I were to try that, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™d end up looking like a slasher movie gone wrong :rofl:

I learned a long time ago, what I think of as the easiest thing in the world may be like climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for others.

2 Likes