Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor Dog Fountain

Is the plastic BPA-free?

[MOD: Yes, it is.]

i think this is the correct answer

Awesome pic! thanks

That has been the prevailing thought around the office…

I bought one of these last time they were on here. Seemed legit, unfortunately my dogs ate the bottles. While the unit itself seems pretty sturdy, the flimsy plastic bottles were no match for my two big dogs. Fortunately the unit still holds a ton of water, so I’m able to just use it as a big water bowl… which is ultimately what I wanted anyway.

It is BPA free.

Wouldn’t work out outdoors here in Eastern Idaho. Our hard water problem is highly deleterious to outdoor watering containers during the months from October to May. We are frost-free in August, though, so it could safely be used outside for 2-3 months of the year.

I had a gravity feed water dispenser, holds about 3 gallons.
BUT the problem is that the tank turns all green from algae after about a month. No matter i changed the water every day or two, still got so bad its unusable, and the opening is too small to put a hand in to clean it.
Question here: Will algae grow in these tanks, and can the tanks be easily cleaned inside?

we have two indoor water fountains for cats (drinkwell brand). we do not use the charcoal filters, but run all the parts except for the pump through the dishwasher every 1-2 weeks and clean the pump by hand. We use filtered water from the sink and have not had any problems. have had for approx 2.5 yrs.

Can anyone weigh in on the nitty gritty details of refilling these?

I’m disabled, and my specific issues are related to strength and flexibility. I have weak grip and I can’t kneel or bend over too far (I can reach, at most, about a foot off the floor).

Right now I have one of those water-cooler-style bowls but it’s way too heavy for me to fill on my own, and I’m not coordinated enough to manage to flip it upside down partially filled. Does anyone think this might be easier for me to use? Right now I just end up taking the water-cooler-bottle-thing off and pouring water directly in the hole.

I don’t need to refill often as I have a small dog (pug) and a cat and they don’t drink THAT much, but regular bowls are pretty splashy to fill with a pitcher from a foot off the ground, so I’m hoping to find a solution I can sort of “drop in” better. It looks like I might be able to hold the top of the bottles and put them in… maybe? Not sure how it all connects inside the fountain.

Also, does it dispense water if not powered?

Is it really heavy when empty? Cleaning shouldn’t be a problem as I can always use my ol’ grabbery device to pick it up and clean 'er in the sink, unless it’s real heavy.

I also have a gravity container…It says to clean the interior with a bottle brush, which I bought for that use only. There is also a video here that shows a set of special brushes for cleaning the unit. So, get busy…lol I use a mild dish-washing detergent, and it is a fast job.

We have one that our 3 cats use. We used to have the small fountain, but our largest cat decided he wanted to ‘play’ in the water and ended up slopping most of it onto the floor. This one works well for us.
I would recommend that it either be an OUTDOOR fountain or put far from where you spend most of your time when you are home. It is very loud. Not the motor pumping, but just the water falling.

Each of the tanks holds about a gallon, so they are heavy. I do believe that it will dispence if not pluged in (three prong) but I’m not 100% sure. Also, the sound of the water falling is rather loud, least it is in our house. We have not had to long enough to have to take it apart to clean the motor.

A better option for you might be the Petmate fountian.
http://www.petmate.com/deluxe-fresh-flow
That is what we used till our 17lb cat decided he wanted to play in the water and daily made a mess of himself and the floor. The Petmate is easier to use, is lighter and does let water trickle down when not plugged in, though you would have to refill more often. The motor can get stuck to the bottom, as it is held on with suction cups. So you may need some help when it needs cleaning. I usually cleaned it once a week and usually had to pry the motor off with a butter knife.

Seems like a lot of maintenance for a simple task.

As it is, I already empty, clean and refill my water guzzling, 100 lb. dogs, 2 gal. bowl every other day with filtered water. Takes all of 30 seconds. This is probably okay for cats and small dogs, but can’t see spending $40+ on a glorified water dish.

Dog looks like an English Setter, but not 100% sure. http://tinyurl.com/k4b26ls

Why is this a test? :slight_smile:

Dogs ears are too short to be a German Longhair Pointer.

Looks more like an English Setter.

Dishwasher safe, hope you have a large one, fills up a lot of space.

A small turkey baster works great for cleaning out large debris that is tracked into the bowl, just siphon it out to a cup or bowl. As long as the unit is not getting slimy and the filter is rinsed once a month and changed about every three months. When water does get slimy or an odor is present in the spare reservoir, clean with a mild bleach solution and rinse thoroughly.