Duracell Alkaline Batteries

If you going to buy Chinese Duracells then get them even cheaper on Amazon at 3.299 cents each. Nevermind. Please do not buy these unless you have money to waste on a crappy product.

I’ll stick to my Eneloops. Rechargable and less waste.

First of all Duracell or rather the parent company Proctor and Gamble DOES make Duracell for the European and African market in China.

The trash can with the X on it is a dead giveaway as the American made ones do not have that.

The American ones also have an arrow sign next to the + sign.

Canada will often import the European versions of these.

Also note batteries are one of the biggest markets for knock offs. Did you know razor blades are still the biggest knock off items in the world?

@kimbee4, after seeing this Woot I happened to be at Costco today…

Sure enough at Costco, 100% of the Duracell AND Kirkland/Costco bulk batteries were made in the U.S., except the Quantums, which were made in Belgium of all places!?

And the Duracells that come with flashlights at Costco were made in China - not surprising since the flashlights were made in China so they’re not going to ship a cheap item like that both ways.

We’ve virtually stopped buying Proctor & Gamble stuff - not because we have anything against them - rather because one can see the cost of all their Brand Managers/marketing staff + advertising + packaging reflected directly in the higher prices of their products.

Why should it take ‘detective’ work to figure out that these might not be the Duracell we buy at the local store? If there is a difference in product quality then it appears to be deceptive selling. C’mon woot, put all the info up front in the description and the specs.

Costco price $14.89 or about 0.37225 per battery for a 40 pack. Woot is 0.4165 per battery… not a good deal for me…

No love for 9 volt. Try this with a AA.

edit: I now see one package that is a combo pack with AA and AAAs, but why not any solo 9V? Do they just not have the respect? These go into smoke detectors- I would think people would need to replace 5-10 at a time when updating smoke detectors.

My standup electric bass only takes 9-volt batteries. I have plenty of leftover AAA and AA batteries from previous purchases. Plus, nothing sucks like having a battery die in the middle of a gig. It’s lithium 9 volts for me. Pass.

FYI: Just received my box of batteries and they all have expired expiration dates. Disappointed . . . :frowning: Is this the new corporate Woot?

Try- this site. Medic Batteries

Interesting battery site @gak0090 - always looking for good sources. But in this case wouldn’t buying the lithium 9volts directly from the mothership make more sense? ($4.50 ea shipped vs $8.25 each shipped @ Medic Batteries)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralife-Lithium-Battery-10-Pack-U9VL-JP10CP/dp/B005EJMTC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382040626&sr=8-1&keywords=ultralife+lithium+9+volt

That is a nice deal. I bought some alkaline 9 volts from that medic site- I’ve never used the lithium 9v. I just assumed since I got a good deal on the alkalines that the lithiums were a deal too. But Amazon definitely wins. How long do you think those Lithium 9v would last in a smoke detector (hard wired, just battery back-up)-do you think you could get 5 years out of them?

Yeah, the expiration dates on these batteries (see photos) say “2013/04”. What kind of degradation can we expect from these expired batteries (in bulk, no less)? I can’t imagine many folks would use these all very quickly.

@chrisdazzo, what leads you to think that “2013/04” date is the expiration date and not the manufacture date?

Each of the detail pics also shows a “2019” date on the side.

@gak0090, I don’t have experience with lithium 9 volts either. But I have a hard time imagining them reliably lasting 5 years in a smoke detector, even if only as a backup.

Due to the safety aspect of smoke detectors I’d rather pay a buck or so for an alkaline 9 volt and replace it every year. I suppose the average person wouldn’t want to hassle with replacing every year tho.

Vs. 5 years (if that is the time frame), that would be a break even vs $4.50 per lithium 9 volt battery.

My biggest purchase disappointment since I first made a Woot purchase. One package of the 4 pack AAA’s was open & packaging & loose batteries in shipping box. Ok, I can handle that but come on WOOT these batteries have EXPIRED expiration dates of September 2012 & August 2013. If the dates are old at least tell your customers BEFORE they order so they have the option not to order. Shame,shame:(

I’m very sorry about this. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

UPDATE: Could you double check and make sure you’re not looking at the manufacture/build date? If it indeed the expiration date, could you send a link to a pic to CS with your email. Upload the pic to a hosting site like imgur.com. Don’t attach it to the email. That gags our CS email system for some reason.

UPDATE 2: The vendor has verified that there are 2 dates on the battery: Manufacture and Expiration. Also, they are looking into better fitting boxes.

^ This for the dates, the date at the top of the “copper” part is the manufacture date. Keep looking on the battery and you’ll find another date, mine were 2019.

I will say any sort of tissue packaging would have been amazing to stop these from breaking a part in shipping.