Dyson Air Multiplier 10” Bladeless Table Fan

This is a great deal. I just bought one at Costco 10 days ago. They had an Instant Rebate special of $100 off, bringing the price down to $200. Woot beats them by 50 bucks. It really is a good fan and most intriquing.

the stubborn among us will keep hitting refresh for another hour in the fruitless hope that there was some sort of end-of-woot-off ERROR

Yeah. Don’t stick your head in the middle of the hole. I’ve heard bad things happen. You get sucked through a wormhole and have to travel back across the galaxy to get home. And gas prices aint cheap neither.

This fan is not actually bladeless, technically speaking. It does have a regular fan blade array inside the cylindrical base column, there, acting as an impeller. Then the air that it sucks up is just blown out around the ring.

So, it blows a hole of air at you, using a fan blade array to do it. Oh, and it only costs ten times as much as any other fan, while not cooling your face if you’re in the center of the airflow.

How do you clean it? Is there a filter in the base?

Yesterday!

I think people must just buy these for the design and style. They’re fairly noisy, don’t really blow all that much air, and cost vastly more than a normal fan while doing approximately the same job. And if you were to open up the base you’d find that, yes it actually does have blades. Basically, put a canister vacuum on exhaust and connect that to two nested funnels on a stand and you’d have almost the same thing, but with even more airflow (and even more noise). Why would anyone do that? Beats me, but then again I don’t really understand why people buy these either.

Wow, I knew this would end up on woot from Dyson. I really love its look and style. But I know 2 people that bought one and they both say it is just ok, but it is cool looking Consumer Reports liked it but couldn’t justify spending $275 more. With woot your only spend about $125 more.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/appliances/dyson-air-multiplier/overview/index.htm

Pretty decent Gizmodo review that refers to the, ahem, manhood of Dyson making fans at a new price point.

I predict the next item: a Ford F150!

Yay, now there’s finally a solution for all that “buffeting” my regular fan’s been annoying me with all these years. All hail Sir Dyson!

Snake oil city.

I saw one of these today at the local Big Box Store (BBS is a copyright phrase of Big Box Industries, Inc)

It was several hundred dollars more there, and really moves an amazingly large volume of air. These things would be great in a nursery, or any house with small children.

High priced, sure, but I’m a fan of this fan!

Not sure if you’d call this a commercial or Dyson originated viral video but a great use of these fans.

I like the way you think. :wink:

You mean it doesn’t run on magic?

I looked into these a while back, pretending I could afford one. I concluded that these are the fan equivalent of a $1000 set of speakers. Most people can’t tell any difference, but for the people who can, it’s the best thing to ever be invented and an absolute must have.

So if you’ve ever been annoyed by something about normal fans, if you find them “buffeting” for instance, this can be the pivotal moment of your life. If you think normal fans are fine, you probably won’t appreciate this enough to justify the money.

It’s actually an issue under investigation. Apologies for any lasting mental harm it may have caused.

There are lots of videos on youtube for these little suckers… uh, blowers… uh, well you get my drift…

Here’s one:

Very “cool” product. They also now make a heater version (it also acts as a fan by setting it all the way down to the lowest heat setting) called “Dyson Hot” for $400.

They look cool, but having lived with a shopaholic who could not resist the “cool factor” of a Dyson fan, all I can say is that you’re paying a hundred dollars or more for what amounts to a glorified table fan which moves less air than the regular old thing. If “cool industrial design” is what floats your boat, then buy this. But if you’re just looking for a fan that works well? Pass.