Dyson AM02 Silver or Blue

**Item: **Dyson AM02 Silver or Blue
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $19 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Dyson AM02 Silver or Blue)

[Search Google](Google AM02 Silver or Blue)

Let’s check out the product page

Read all about it at Dyson
Great reviews from BestBuy

[youtube=6kWBz4fqGFY][/youtube]

Great reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) over at The O and homedepot.com

Only issue I have with this is that it could be a fad like the ionic fans of yester years when it was discovered the O3 that it puts out is bad for your lungs since we were breathing in ozone. Any thoughts on this?

It’s just a fan so no health issues. There’s a small powerful fan in the base which pushes air through the “blade loop” and also pulls more air from behind for the “multiplier effect” (same physics as the lift on an airplane wing). No ozone generating, just air.

We have 3. All work exceptionally well. We paid much more than this, it’s a great deal. If you want a Vornado noise maker then you don’t have airconditiong. These aren’t loud and push a lot more air then you would think.

All fans need cleaning especially the fan blades themselves to keep the performance at optimal leval how hard or easy is this very expensive fan to clean.

Perhaps I just don’t understand.

Woot and Dyson want me to pay 4x the price for far less than 1/2 of the CFM air movement of a good quality “regular” fan?

For me, that simply doesn’t compute.

Psh… enjoy your buffeted air peasant.

While your fan tosses air at you in large brick like chunks those who prefer the better things in life will be basking in a comforting unbroken stream of air like a lover blowing on your neck uninterrupted for as long as you want.

Plus you can throw balloons through it.

Those folks are mighty proud of their stuff. Mighty Proud!!! They certainly are not shy when it comes to their pricing. To date I haven’t felt any overwhelming (or underwhelming for that matter) desire to own one of their expensive fans but my wife is on her 2nd pricey vacuum sweeper. Even at Sam’s Club the things are expensive as all frell.

Never thought about these (they’ve been out for a few years) till our toddler started walking around and putting his hand in everything. the fan motor is in the base, and the are is “shot out” of the circular “blade” Works as good as their vacuums and super safe for the little monster.

I keep hearing this term “buffetting” from the common style fan blades. I don’t notice it so it’s not a problem.
I had seen a cut-a-way of these type of air movers. The fan seems to be the one used in the vacuums, makes sense and hopefully the moving parts, the motor to be specific, will last a very long time.
The gentle airflow minus the possibly dangerous fan blades for kids fingers and pets tails makes this a very good addition for concerned parents.
When I looked at the display unit operating at a big box store, it was impressive with a gentle airflow. The price was the wow factor, lol. Though the woot price is higher than the old basic blade fan, it does introduce a safety factor for families.

But you’ll be the envy of your friends and neighbors and your hipster quotient will get quite a boost.

The question about these Dyson fans is about noise level. My wife and I use a traditional 16" fan on a tall stand at the foot of our bed for her, but I personally find the noise of the fan to be more bothersome at night than the supposed “buffeting” of the air.

Can anyone who owns one of these state that they are quieter or about the same noise level as a traditional fan so perhaps I can get a better night’s sleep or not?

I have two of the am03 and a small table one on my desk at work. These are quiet, the lowest setting you don’t know they’re on at all. There are times i notice it’s on only bc i feel it, or see the power button…but from a soudn point had no idea it was on.

On a medium to high setting certainly there is noise, buti’m very happy with them and if i needed another fan i’d buy this immediately.

what exactly does “factory reconditioned” mean?

Basically these fans are just fraudulent marketing. Dyson fans work by transforming the airflow from a tiny blower in the base into a narrow laminar flow from the ring. In the process, air is forced through a tiny, constricted plenum. This creates back pressure, limits air flow, and partially accounts for the relatively high noise level (compared to air output).

The actual CFM rating of the fan is the same as the tiny blower in the base. Now Dyson won’t tell you the CFM, they’ll only tell you gallons per second. Multiply this by 8 to get CFM. Energy and momentum are conserved - this thing doesn’t miraculously create more energy.

Now the phenomenon of “air multiplication” is real, but it’s not what Dyson wants you to think it is. It works through a principle called entrapment, where adjacent air molecules move due to friction. This is used in some industrial applications. One example is an air multiplication nozzle used on process lines. You hook compressed air to it, and it outputs a beautifully smooth and dispersed airflow. The output airflow is no greater than the input, but the transformation is useful for example in drying applications.

Similarly, much of the energy of the air molecules leaving the Dyson ring is transferred to adjacent molecules. But, just as you learned in high school physics class, there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL). Those incident air molecules lose a corresponding amount of energy. What you are left with is a relatively smooth, albeit slow volume of air.

Dyson’s marketing is admirable, but these are bottom line incredibly overpriced and ridiculously weak fans. For less than half this price, I picked up one of those Woot tower vornado’s. It moves almost ten times as much air as the Dyson.

Why do I know these things? I manage people in a large, high end tech company that include thermal design engineers. If there was some black magic in air multiplication which allowed us to get more air energy out than was drawn in by the air mover, we’d use it to save enormous amounts of fan power to cool electronics. But it doesn’t and so we don’t. I’ve even reviewed Dyson’s patents just for fun. We just have a good laugh at how Dyson can get away with these fraudulent performance claims.

A “factory reconditioned” item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It’s as close to new as you can get without technically being “new”.