Dyson DC14 All Floors Vacuum

The DC14 is larger, heavier, and a bit more powerful. It doesn’t have the ball, which is no big deal to me.

We have the DC14 Animal and it does a terrific job on cat hair.

Dyson makes great vacuums.

Not to mention they generally have great warranties.

If all you have are hardwood floors - do not purchase this. The hose is so tight that you spend your time fighting with it…

Beware if you have higher-pile carpet. After having problems on a room-sized shag rug, Dyson told us our “All Floors Vacuum” really wasn’t meant for high-pile carpets. We also find the hose attachment to be unwieldy. Overall, we are disappointed. It is good on bare floors and regular carpet, however.

I got a refurb pet model from woot a few months back. I don’t have a lot of carpet downstairs where the cats are most of time and yet I swear I manage to get a small kitten in the dust bin after vacuuming. It really is pretty amazing.

Was the blue one ever available or is it just a holdover?

cat carpeting?

Thanks to those replying about the DC14 vs DC24. I have severe back problems and saw that the DC24 is several pounds lighter and the ball adds manuverbility. So I’m going to look at the DC24 for that reason. Thanks again–Just wish I could teach the cats to vacuum for me :S

Thanks for the responses on cat hair. Several people should get QP ratings for this.

bought one back in 07 and still working great, was a dc15 ball, had to replace handle under warranty and Dyson was quick to respond. getting this one for my in-laws, a Christmas present that really SUCKS!

I have a dyson, but my old Kenmore picks up pet hair much better.

Also beware if you have rugs which are unsecured to the floor. After having the unit suck the rug right into the vacuum, Dyson told us that our “All Floors Vacuum” really wasn’t meant for rugs which are unattached to the floor.

Based on how long this stretch of the woot-off is taking, I would say this vacuum really sucks.

I know, this pun has been made before. It will be made again.

I have had my Dyson Animal for 6 years and I wouldn’t trade it! I have 3 big hairy dogs and it pulls out a puppy everytime I vacuum! I just bought the canister vac just to keep upstairs and I am equally as thrilled!

Used to own one of these! The unit has two filters and the Hepa Filter is hidden! Didn’t realize it had 2 filters and the motor seized!

Brought it to their repair center and the guy just shook his head saying the dual filter BS has resulted in more blown motors on these vacuums than any other model he has seen.

Never again will I buy a Dyson, the salesman pitched the thing to my wife and never mentioned this second filter! I don’t get it, everyone else manages to use a single filter why does Dyson need 2?

I have two cats and a lab, and we love our dyson (the yellow one). I’ve had it for about two years, and it’s still going strong! I do have to empty the canister often, but that just tell you haw much crud its picking up. :slight_smile:

I also bought this model from Woot a few months ago. It does work really well, even with a black lab and a fluffy orange cat in the house.

Two things I consider idiosyncrasies, if I ram it into, say, a dining room table leg, the machine starts making terrible noises until I turn it off and turn it on again. Puzzling, but not that big of a deal. More annoying is that if my sleeve so much as brushes across the top where the hose attachment is, it switches the suction from the floor to the hose attachment, again making me have to turn it off and back on again.

Weirdness aside, it really does a good job on the carpets!

couldn’t agree more, we’ve had our DC14 for a little over 7 years now. I take out the brush and tear down the canister to clean everything out and it works like brand new even though its pretty beat up lol. It IS very disturbing the amount of junk these Dysons pick up!

We have one of the earlier model Dyson DC07’s and other than the high quality plastics have not found it to be anything special for the crazy high prices they used to get. Perhaps $179 is a fair price.

BTW, all you University of Michigan alumni are required to buy BOTH the Maize and Blue units! (Our DC07 is Maize)

Go Blue! (10-2 + BCS Sugar Bowl the very next year after thankfully dumping Rodriguez!)

I have one of these and love it! I don’t have a cat, but I have a dog who sheds. This Dyson removes hair and anything else that’s found its way into the house. You won’t believe how much it removes!