Dyson DC22 Turbinehead Canister Vacuum

Try the Oreck XL at Costco – similar price (less occasional coupons), light weight, bigger bag, plus a handheld and two years of maintenance from the local Oreck store.

We also own a Roomba bought from Woot and find that – like my mother-in-law’s 1960s Electrolux – it continues to suck.

this is true, but this is a lesser model for your $400. If you go to this page and click on canister type vacuums, the price/performance difference of this DC22 vs. Costco’s DC23 is very easy to note:

The DC22 Turbinehead lists for $ 700 at the Dyson store.

Already have upright Dyson – a thing of beauty – makes vacuuming positively rewarding: vacuum house once – oodles of filth to toss (yeeeehaawww). Do it again, right away – more oodles of filth (yeehahahahaw). But it’s HEAVY, hurts my poor boomer-back. Question: little Dyson or Roomba? (There is a lot of mess on the floor in my house – we’re talking lego parts, discarded clothes, shoes, pieces of paper – can Roomba deal with that kind of clutter?)

Keep in mind this is a turbinehead unit, not a motorhead. The difference is that the suction of the vacuum is used to turn the brush vs having a separate electric motor to turn the head.

I also find it interesting that people rave about their Dysons, but Consumer Reports really does not have much of a hard-on for them.

As for pricing, up until last month you could buy the Turbinehead DC23 from Costco with a $70 instant rebate for a whopping $329.99…

Throw in that this is an older model and… Well, ymmv.

Ack, the timing is so bad. Our vacuum just died a few days ago and while we love woot, the $ to time trade off just doesn’t work for us this time. We got the same product with 2 day shipping somewhere else for a bit more.

:slight_smile: Damn you woot, why don’t you have teleporter delivery yet :slight_smile:

From the comparison chart at the Dyson site. The 23 is heavier, does not have the turbinehead or the floor tool and seems to be slightly less powerful (220 vs. 230 air watts, whatever that is).

JUST CURIOUS WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN THE DC22 AND DC23 in dollars? Sorry about the caps.

I have a DC25 Animal (one of the ball models) and I love it. I don’t think it’s any louder than the vacuums I’ve used in the past–Electrolux, Kirby, Oreck, Hoover.

I’ve also used a DC17 (Mom’s, a refurb from Woot several yrs ago) and it’s as loud as the DC17, so I’d assume this DC22 Canister is about the same.

meh

you can get dc25 animal for 280-300 from kohls

trick is to pricematch with target
and use their 30% coupon

I keep waiting for my handed-down 1970’s-era Electrolux canister vac to die so I can get a pretty new one, but it just keeps going. If it ever does quit I’d buy Miele before Dyson, though.

That kind of ‘clutter’ spells DOOMBA for Roomba! Better a Craftsman ShopVac! Or a Shovel!

Woot Gods, why must you tempt me so. I’ve just moved into a new apartment and need a new vacuum. I missed the Oreck deal at Costco and didn’t really want to spend more than that($240). Well, since I’ve decided not to fly down to San Fran to see Tool next month maybe I’ll take the extra cash and treat myself to this. Perfect size for a one bedroom apartment without a lot of storage it seems. Choosing a vacuum cleaner over seeing Tool…I must getting old.

How do you like the DC17? We have a German Shepard that is shedding like crazy right now, and would really like to purchase this model.

I think there is something REALLY weird going on. Now yes, the DC22 Turbine is listed at dyson.com for a much higher price than the DC23 Turbine… but have you also noticed that all DC22 models are listed at dyson.com as being out of stock? This makes me think that maybe the DC22 is a previous model that is being phased out, and the new model (DC 23?) is simply cheaper than the previous one. Wouldn’t be the first time an innovative company has their first wave of customers pay the lion’s share of the innovation. More expensive is not always better.

Using the dyson web site for comparison of the two models: yes, the DC23 is heavier, because the DC22 is only 2/3 the size of the DC23. The all-knowing-garbage-pile (List of Dyson products - Wikipedia) lists the DC22 as “DC23’s little brother”. And according to Dyson, the DC23 has an additional “Bactic Safe” filter, whatever that is.

Either way, I’m not in the market for a dyson. Or maybe I am? I have the DC25 Animal (the one with the Ball) and the little DC31 handheld. The DC31 annoys the crap out of me because the air comes out to the left and right of the handle – in tight spaces, this causes so much air circulation in the room that you end up distributing the mess (e.g. coffee grinds in a corner) before you have a chance of vaccing it up. The DC25 Animal has its exhaust in the ball, which is still a totally less than optimal place for the exhaust. I mean, how obvious is this from a design perspective: Put the exhaust as far away as possible from the vaccuum nozzle. You want to leave the to-be-sucked-up dust as much alone as possible, stab it in the back with your vacuum cleaner, not tell it you’re coming with a big blow of wind. That said: If i had realized this DC25’s design flaw any earlier, i would have gone with a canister model instead. But one with a motorized brush bar, not merely a turbine head.

Wow. This turned into a rant, or rather, my $0.02 :slight_smile:

I got a dyson ball from woot for $269 last year and I LOVE it. Dyson makes it almost fun to vacuum.

Woot read my mind, well almost… I have been searching for the DC25 all day. Close, but I don’t have stairs so I really want the ball vac.

dyson’s are hi-performance; its hi-tech good looks are an value-added bonus.

the haters are people who can’t or don’t want to afford the ferrari of vacuum cleaners…mine was a former woot, and is still going strong.

I have this. Works well but the power cord is WAY to short. Have to keep moving it from outlet to outlet even in small rooms.

Kohls has the dc23 also, but it is 449, but I think the “saveinjune” coupon gives 30 percent off, which makes it a pretty good deal. Of course you need to use your Kohls charge cad with that.

Got a refurbished DC21 off woot back in November 2009, and it has been great. of course it also cost a lot less than this ($225 w/shipping).