Dyson DC28 Animal Upright Vacuum

HAVE HAD ONE FOR A YEAR NOW…GREAT MACHINE…THE BEST THING TO DO, IS VACUUM THE ROOM WITH YOUR CURRENT VAC. AND THEN FOLLOW IT UP BY THE DYSON…SEE THE DIFFERENCE!

Sounds like you need much more than a vacuum!

I paid about $285 for this very vacuum but that was with a bunch of coupons and an employee discount.

It is an awesome vacuum; certainly the most powerful I’ve ever owned but it’s not w/out problems.

1. The filters can be finicky when putting them back in after cleaning them. Take your time and slide the casings until they go back in place where you found them.

2. The extension handle/wand is small in diameter. This allows for some clogs if you get a stiff price tag or piece of plastic stuck in there. Keep a wire hanger around for “snaking” the handle if it becomes an issue. Usually the vacuum is powerful enough to force everything through but I’ve had two clogs in the past year.

3. The debris opening behind the rollers is also on the small side. Last week the rollers finally had enough random string around them to “grab” a wad of pet fur and clog the opening. It was a simple finger battle to unwind it all and problem solved!

4. This vac is heavy and can be hard to push. I’m pretty big so I enjoy the workout but my sisters and wife don’t appreciate the stress of pushing it around. Believe in the air muscle! You will during the first use!

Even with these four things I still wholeheartedly recommend this vacuum for this price. The attachments are great, the cord is long and the whole thing is a beast!

I will say, as a proud Dyson owner, they’re worth EVERY penny!

A mouse trap too, I suppose. The best we’ve been able to do is use the shop vacs on the hair. I really want a real vacuum, though.

What kind of experiences have people had with refurb. dyson’s?

Don’t take it personal. I couldn’t resist! And you opened that door pretty wide!

A real vacuum? IMHO a Dyson is as real as it gets.

Yeah, and all of this is very clearly stated on the vacuum and in the manual you get with the vacuum. I cannot abide stupid people. The proof they are among us is that this video had to be made!!! I can’t be the only one that goes nuts seeing this type of thing. The instructions actually show the pictures for cleaning the filters and recommend doing so monthly depending on your cleaning needs. I have 4 shedding dogs. Therefore I clean the filter monthly like Dyson recommends!!!

I’ve had a refurbished DC07 for about 4 years now. I have both cats and dogs, and the Dyson has no trouble with all that hair they leave behind. I wouldn’t trade it for another brand.

Of course, now that I’ve written that, it will break tomorrow. :wink:

BTW, why does today’s Woot Digest (in the Monte/Mortimer section) mention a hidden BOC somewhere on the site? Is Woot trying to drive me insane? Because that is a very short trip, guys.

Same experience here. I keep a small pair of dedicated scissors that are used to cut the buildup in four even places (imagine slicing the bar in half and then half the other way) along the brush bar and then it get sucked up when I turn it on! It takes about 10 seconds as opposed to the 2-5 minutes I would usually spend.

I agree, especially considering the base price for vacuum cleaner repairs at Sears in my town is $79.99.

IMHO, the original Yellow version (DC07 i believe) was much better on my hardwood floors… this does great on the carpet, but not so great in the very close corners…

It does work, never clogged, but my hardwoods are never as clean as the older model.

Also, the shield over the exhaust tends to get caught on things, so be careful with hanging comforters and other such items!

…THEN what had been predicted by inventor Dean Kamen will have finally come true…lol.

I did the research on this last time. As you say, only two manufacturers were on record as specifically saying the Dysons would void the warranty. The core issue is that a vacuum with a beater bar is reportedly rough on wool carpet fibers. If you don’t have wool carpet, this is a non-issue. Models that don’t have a beater bar, or which allow the user to disable it, should be fine for wool carpets.

I like using the wide hard floor attachment. It actually works a lot like the ball vacuum with it’s slick turning. The only drawback is the heavy hose!

Back for a temporary engagement this week,…

Product website:

Product support page:
http://www.dyson.com/support/help.asp?article=32

including pdf manual:

Sooooo excited! Thank you Woot! I’ve been researching and looking for vacuums, especially Dysons, all week long! This is an Animal, too!

Question: Squaretrade warranty on this is $45 for a year, is it worth it when it only covers for 6 more months than the included Dyson warranty? I’ve always wanted a Dyson, but lets be real - there are reports they can clog and any vacuum that deals with all the hair in my house usually doesn’t last long. How do I know if there’s a local technician? With large items, this seems more complicated.

Awesome vacuum, I borrowed my friend’s after I vacuumed my house with my wind tunnel. Could not believe how much dirt and pet hair etc it sucked up off my “clean” carpets.
Buy this machine! Best vacuum I ever used.

My DC07 has several spots where a piece can be easily removed to clear any clogs. I’m guessing the 28 has something similar. In fact, Dyson’s web site has walkthroughs (complete with pictures) to troubleshoot any problems.

That said, clogging really hasn’t been a problem for me. Also, I’ve never had to have mine serviced, so I can’t speak to that.

I bought one of these (refurbed) from Woot the last time they were up (not counting a woot-off appearance or two). So far, I’ve had no issues (except for my wife’s hair getting caught in the beater bar, but that’s not a problem unique to the Dyson and is easily fixed with scissors). The machine works as advertised and didn’t show any signs of prior use. I’ve noticed it is a little more difficult to operate on a shorter pile carpet, but I blame that on the suction. Speaking of suction, I think mine is getting stuff out of the carpets that the previous owner’s pets left behind! But the best part about getting a refurb? The cat is STILL playing with the box.

TL;DR Just as good as new, for a much better price.