Dyson DC35 Multi Floor Vacuum

@lildetroitmama

I’d like to buy a Dyson for my grandmother, as she has a huge, extremely heavy old vacuum that she can no longer manage to push. She has mostly carpet, with a couple of heavy rugs in the non-carpeted rooms. I need one that’s light enough but still able to be the only vacuum she uses. Grandma is 87, and there’s no stopping her from vacuuming every week.

Any thoughts on which would be best?

WE got a DC35 a month ago and now don’t even use the corded dyson in the lower floor of our 2700 sq ft house. And we have a German Shepherd who constantly sheds and brings in all kinds of dirt from the yard. Pricy, yes, but sometimes there are measurements other than price. BAttery life is something we got used to…not a big deal. Floor has a couple area rugs and the rest is bare.

Max power for 6 minutes? Usual power for 15 mins? No wonder these are needing a secondary sale! Even in my paltry residence, that would be insufficient time to vacuum the floors. My teenagers (lazy sods) would be thrilled to own this.
Mom, “Did you run the vacuum like I asked?”
Teenager, "Well, yeah, for as long as it would run! What! You think I could have accomplished more than a stripe in the hallway? "

FYI - my last Bed Bath & Beyond coupon came with “Exludes Dyson” on it.

I found this review to he more thorough than the review posted above by CowboyDann. They cover more topics, and for a handheld it appears to be pretty top notch. A comment about the Hoover Linx that was made was dispelled by a review done by the same review on their channel.

Confirmed, looking at a BB&B coupon now and under ‘Excludes’ is ‘Dyson Floorcare’

Got one at last offering & it is my FAVORITE of the 3 vacuums I have. It is not designed for heavy use, but to pick up the day to day dirt my 2 dogs bring in from outside. Love It, Love It, Love It!

I bought one of these a few weeks back when they had the exact same sale. I had returned it the next day after I received it. Woot gave me the return label it shows it was delivered back to them. Woot kept the vacuum and my money and wont respond to my multiple emails BUYER BEWARE WITH WOOT. I am out $235.00 this is a crappy Co.

Thanks for clarifying Frank.

Can anyone comment on how advantageous the Animal model is over this model? Lady of the house has her mind set on the DC35 Animal…

I have wanted this vac for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. Got tired of hauling my Dyson upright plugged in with several extension cords to the curb to vacuum my car. Who are my neighbors going to laugh at now?

I have the animal and the only difference is a smaller head is included, similar to the optional turbo head you can buy for corded dysons, but this head turns with an electrical connection. I only found it useful for car carpets for dog hair. Maybe if you had fabric furniture with animal hair it might be useful.

This source, Vacuum Wizard, would appear to have a pretty standardized set of tests the do for all their vacuums. I already linked to the Dyson DC35 above and they also did a review on the Dyson Animal. I cannot comment on either owning neither but they did. =)

I love my DC35. I never use my full sized Hoover anymore. And this is with a messy 12 year old and a dog in the house.

The DC35 Animal is quite new; when the DC35 was offered on sellout.woot a few weeks ago, I did some research. As Artnc notes, the Animal version comes with a mini-turbine head that is an accessory available with other Dyson Animal vacs. It can be purchased by itself at The Parent Corp for $67.80 (free shipping). According to the reviews, the mini turbine tool was redesigned because it tended to fail easily and the new design has received relatively negative reviews. I was particularly turned off by the information that the tool doesn’t work especially well on soft surfaces but is fantastic on harder surfaces. Um, I would use it to remove dirt and dog hair from soft furniture!

I only have one piece of upholstered furniture that isn’t covered by slipcover or blanket: an Ikea ottoman that the dogs use to launch themselves onto the couch. I’ve found that vacuuming it with the regular beater bar removes quite a bit of dirt from it; it is visibly less dirty after I vac it and it’s frightening how much dirt is visible in the canister afterwards. I’ve never managed to get the ottoman completely clean, although if I spent more than 20 seconds vacuuming it, maybe I’d get better results. :slight_smile: The top of the ottoman is showing some wear; I’m not sure if the Dyson beater bar is damaging it, as it’s impossible to dissociate the damage the dogs do to it from the damage that vacuuming it every other day (or so) does to it. It was “as-is” at Ikea and I believe I paid around $30 for it, plus I don’t have any kids and rarely have company, so I don’t particularly care about it being slightly dirty. I have pretty severe allergies, however, and I do care about minimizing pollen/airborne irritants in my house.

As I was browsing the various Dyson attachments looking for the mini turbine tool linked above, I’m wondering if the mattress tool would be a better choice for upholstered furniture. The Dyson “Pet Clean-Up Accessory Kit” is on sale for $30.84 at The Parent Corp; it’s listed for $99.99 at Dyson and I think it usually sells for around $70 on amazon, which is why I haven’t bit the bullet yet. It includes the mattress cleaning tool and a flexible crevice tool that looks like it might get into tight spaces that the Dyson itself doesn’t (it also includes some carpet-cleaning stuff). The mattress tool by itself is $23.38 and the flexible crevice tool for $27.00, so the Pet Accessory kit (on sale) might be a good bargain even for those without pets. At this price, I think I’ll give it a whirl (pun intended, sorry). I’ll report back next week when woot offers the DC35 again.

http://www.woot.com/Forums//emoticons/emotion-5.gif

A few other notes, as long as I’m writing a dissertation about this vacuum. :slight_smile: The included crevice tool is a rigid attachment that’s great for getting dirt off the surface of the slipcovers or off the window ledge behind the couch (Dog spends 15 hours a day hanging out on the back of the couch as part of her Very Important job as Captain of the Neighborhood Rabbit Watch). I have not yet figured out a use for the “combination accessory tool.”

I have one, got an extra batter on ebay. Never runs out.

A little about the BB&B policy and how to get around this. BB&B accepts ALL expired BB&B coupons. It has for as long as I can remember. It also accepts competitors coupons (remember Linens and Things), but those do have to be current.

They also used to only accept one per purchase, etc and all that’s been done away with. Because people would get in a new line and just go in line over and over again. So, sometime in the last few years they changed things so that you just have to meet the minimum purchase requirements on a coupon.

Which means they no longer even require you to hit $15 or $20 on a single item. You can ring up fifteen $1 items and then hand them a coupon for 5 dollars off a $15 purchase. The cashiers tend to be very efficient and very good at advising you which coupons to use for what.

Obviously, for any large purchase you want to use a 20% off coupon…but what about those pesky exemptions. Dyson, Miele, etc. Well first, they vary and aren’t on every one, so read them as they come along. And second, and most importantly, they only started exemptions in the past few years. So if you have old coupons, they probably just say 20% off, and yes, you can use they on Dysons, on whatever. So don’t use coupons oldest to newest, keep those old ones without exemptions for when you really, really need them.

Don’t have an old coupon? Ask around, people have been hoarding those things for well over a decade, and when you get a couple a month and don’t go to bed bath and beyond that often, people have stacks and stacks of those. Some are willing to give them away or they’ll want to trade two new coupons for an old, or something like that.

Also, if you have a Discover you get cashback. Which you can apply to gift cards and get more bang for your buck. They vary among retailers, but for BB&B for every $20 of cash back, you get $25 bed bath and beyond gift card. That’s 20% off there.

You save up your cash back and order a lot of gift cards, you can pay for your entire purchase that way. Combining with coupons really adds savings. But obviously, don’t order the gift cards until you know you’re going to use them (or if you’re a frequent shopper there, go ahead), and keep track of the gift card laws in your state. In some states they can depreciate and in others, they can’t. And try not to lose them.

I have to say though that in terms of large purchases like vacuums, I tend to research, decide what I want and then look for the best deal and best customer support policy (in case I do get a lemon). Bed bath appeals to me most for getting a lot of things done at once. You need to outfit a dorm, pick up stuff for a new apartment or just have a list of things you never got or have to replace, bed bath is a way to get good quality stuff with a good return policy and it’s pretty affordable–especially if you go armed with a stack of gift cards and coupons.

In fact, getting basic drugstore items in many cases is cheaper at Bed Bath (without coupons or cards), and when you ad those, you come close to getting warehouse store prices. Which is both impressive and weird.

Anyway, there’s your loophole. And how to save still more. If you think it sounds creepy, don’t worry–at BB&Bs you’ll see lots of people pull out folders of coupons, and then start slowly doling out giftcards and then hand like four cents to the cashier (or worse put in on another giftcard). You’ll have lots of company. There are probably message boards where all the BB&Bers talk about their habit and share even more tips to saving money there.

I bought a dyson dc24 - its like a mini normal ball upright from Woot. It’s very light, ball type, and is easy to use. I have pain issues and it’s made it so much easier for me to clean.

I think your grandma might like that model better than trying to hold this dc35 in her hand and press the trigger all the time.

I did buy an extension hose from Amazon.com, and a home cleaning (attachment) kit from Overstock.com - they have a good sale on attachments. I ordered and got them this week.

I needed the extra hose length to be able to easily use the dusting attachments. No matter what refurb you get I think you’ll want the attachments and especially the extension hose.

Hope this helps.

I tried several times to buy this but your site was under maintance. Do you have any left???

I’m sorry but this sale ended at midnight CST on Saturday, 5/26. Keep checking back though because we may offer again.