Early Warning Radar and Laser Detector EW-3400

ROFL bad luck :stuck_out_tongue: But woot heard your cry for help! Now you can buy this product and speed at your leisure! The detector doesn’t detect only when the radar/laser is on you, just when it is nearby. Gving you plenty of time to put on an innocent appearance.

cops are more advanced than a $60 radar. If you really need one get a valentine one. :wink:

Also if your car has an “overdrive” option is addition to the standard “drive” you’ll get better gas efficiency in “overdrive”.

Illegal to buy, or illegal to use?

I got my first radar detector through Woot. I’m sure it has paid for itself.

/Huh? What?

Maybe tomorrow’s woot could be a lawyer to get me out of the ticket! I wasn’t so lucky today unlike my first speeding ticket when the cop gave me a break and I got a ticket for having a college sticker in my rear window! $35 fine and no points, cant complain with that!

Depends on the car, but normally between 60 and 75. Does anyone have this detector and if so is it any good.

Last detector I bought from woot didn’t make a sound when I got my last ticket. How would I know if this one is any better? I’ve seen some say they are happy with their cobra, but even cobra has both cheap and expensive models. What am I supposed to look for in a detector today?

I’ll bet the cost of this woot that I’m the only person under the age of 30 that got the MAS*H reference.

The cobra looks much nice then this :slight_smile: But this probably works better :frowning: To bad for me I bought the Cobra couple weeks back.

couple things

Anyone own this exact model, curious how well it works. My brother always raves about his cobra ones.

Secondly optimal gas milage depends on your vehicle. My 5-speed jeep cherekee at higher speeds is optimal around 55, but most newer vehicles are made more for 65mph in mind. And a constant speed does not necessarily save you gas milage. Letting you car slow up hills and regain speed down hills obviously saves gas.

That’s why you have to hope they hit the person in front of you first :stuck_out_tongue:

Not quite. Think TV, 1970’s and 80’s, Gary Burghoff as Walter “Radar” O’Riley.

You definitely want 360 degree detection, no line of sight needed, for radar scans at least “X” band radar and “K/Ka” superwide radar, with anti-radar detector-detector technology

Lasar is instant on instant off. When your detector goes off from a lazar gun
its to late for you to do anything…except maybe pull over and get your ticket.
If your lucky the LEO may have targeted the car in front of you.

Just a few thoughts on radar and laser detectors. The 360 degree coverage is a marketing gimmick, radar and laser can only detect the speed of objects coming toward it or going away from it. From the side they do not show speed. Radar detectors can only detect a radar that is transmiting. If the cop has his radar on hold, sees you and then turns on the radar, he will have your speed locked in before you know he is there. All you get from your radar detector is advance notice that you are getting a ticket. Planes and helicopters do not use radar, they calculate your speed based on how long it takes you to travel a known distance. The only sure way to avoid a ticket is to slow down.

It is not illegal if you have a HAM radio license… Federal trumps State every day.

True, they use the Average Value Theorem from calculus to figure out how long you have been speeding. Fortunately, they can’t do that in Illinois! w00t!

Really? Then why the hell did they invent a detector for it?

Really? I drive alot becuase I commute about 30 minutes to college everyday…It seemed like everytime I turned Overdrive off, I got alot more gas mileage? Or am I just imagining all of this?

Except the energy required to overcome wind resistance goes up with the cube of the speed. In other words, it takes eight times the power to go 80 compared to going 40. This is an approximation and a gross simplification, though, so … well, your mileage may vary.