Eaton Wi-Fi Smart Universal Dimmer Switches

Eaton Wi-Fi Smart Universal Dimmer Switches

**** NEUTRAL IS REQUIRED ****

3 Likes

Will this work in a 3-way circuit?

Yes. Here are the install instructions from the website. It’s standard and pretty straight forward.

Will this work with Google home?

Just so I’m clear, this is a 3-way switch as is, but can someone please explain this: Control same load from multiple locations (available separately)?

I’m assuming that just means you need to buy a second switch for it to work in a three way config (it says you can use a normal 3-way switch too, or their auxiliary switch). I agree though, almost seems pedantic if so… hmmmm, thinking out loud… if you want to use a second smart switch, you will still need the normal 3-way circuit (the dimmable load) AND you will need full power to run the switch as well. This may prevent people from being able to retrofit existing circuits if house power isn’t already in the box.

Don’t forget to look to see if your lighting is even capable of dimming before installing. Not all lights are!!! (most incandescent lights are… cheaper LEDs aren’t.)

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE ALUMINUM WIRING. (like it says) DON’T INSTALL THIS IF YOU HAVE ALUMINUM WIRING.

1 Like

I see a Lowes review on Feb 17 2021 that says it doesn’t work with Google Home. YMMV though.

The iOS app hasn’t been updated in over a year with only a 2 star rating from reviewers. The Google play store app hasn’t been updated going on 8 months with similar poor reviews, and TechHive in a November 2020 review gave it bad marks all around.

Sounds like a dying product then. No Google Home, poor reviews, and a 50% discount definitely make me question if this product will be here in a year when I need another one.

That being said, I see quite a few of the negative reviews made by people that just don’t know what they are doing. The number one rule in construction, plan, plan, plan.

50% discount from MSRP? Sure.
Smart wifi dimmers hang around $20-25 most of the time. If this is at or better than Levitron or Lutron quality, than the $50 original price makes sense but I doubt it.

And per techhive:
Eaton’s new Wi-Fi smart dimmer comes without one common component that is virtually ubiquitous across today’s smart home landscape: A mobile app. Aiming for a “frustration-free setup,” Eaton decided to rely on the Amazon Alexa app exclusively for setup and control.

Uh yea, I don’t use Alexa. Non starter. If I can’t integrate this into my other switches and control with the app of my choice, this make the switch no better than a manual switch.