Echo Plus (1st Gen) with Built-In Hub

Echo Plus (1st Gen) with Built-In Hub

Would this be worth replacing my 1st gen Echo (not the Plus), which is still working well after 4 years? I don’t have any ZIgBee items which this contains the hub for.

If you don’t have zigbee items, then I would say no.
These items come up often enough that I wouldn’t pounce on it for something you may do in the future.

I have some smart dimmer switches from Costco and they use Wi-Fi so zigbee is not really needed unless you are getting into battery operated devices like door locks. For powered items, Wi-Fi is not an issue.

2 Likes

How are those dimmer switches from Costco? Can’t beat the price…

They are pretty nice. You can use them like a regular switch or dim them if you want. I just yell “Alexa turn off the bedroom light” and it happens. Sort of like the clapper.
Make sure your bulbs can dim - no CFL or non-dimmable LED bulbs or they’ll burn out. I had a couple non-dimmable LED bulbs that stopped working.
You set it up with an app (basically the same way you setup a new echo) and then link the app to Alexa or google home.
They require a neutral (white) wire in the switch box so they can be powered. My house is about 22 years old and has them in every box. If you have a old house check a switch box before you tear the Costco switch 2-pack open.
I really like them because you can then schedule them or turn them all off at once when leaving.

Keep in mind that just because a switch box has a white wire in it, that doesn’t mean it’s a neutral. Quite often it’s just acting as a switch leg. You’ll find a white wire connected to one side of the switch and black connected to the other. Or in the case of a 3-way switch it might used as a “traveler” or “toggle” line.

Hey thanks for the response! I’ve been trying to get my parents to upgrade the light switches in their house. Finally got them some dimmer switches to work with LED bulbs but want to help them set up a schedule. Gotta check on the neutral wire, since their house is 40+ years old but might make for a good gift in the future… hope the prices don’t go up!