Echo Show (2nd Gen) - 10.1”

Echo Show (2nd Gen) - 10.1”

We have this Show 10 model and love it. $90 is well-priced for this functionality.

With the replacement of this Show 10 with the funky and crazy expensive “follow me” latest Show 10 balanced-on-a-grapefruit model, Amazon left a gap in their Show lineup. (I’ll admit the latest Show 10 does sound better but the original Show 10 has solid, if a touch boomy sound.)

Our Show 8 is also excellent and a decent price-size compromise but the extra size of the Show 10 is a better match for longer video streaming or ease of reading searched content. Amazon has been selling the Show 8 1st gen, new, for $60. (The 2nd Gen Show 8 has a dramatically improved camera.)

We’ve found sold by Woot used Echo devices to be solid and when we did once have an issue, Woot Customer Service was very responsive.

1 Like

I’d agree with the used Amazon devices sold here. We have a bunch of 1st gen shows in our house and they continue to perform amazingly as long as they each get an occasional reboot, which is no big deal at all!

1 Like

We’ve not found that with our Show 8 & 10s, but have found it to be true with the various Echo smart speakers.

Perhaps not a bad idea with all tech devices, whether they be smart home devices or smart phones or tablets or laptops… to regularly clean out the cobwebs with a restart.

1 Like

We have one echo show 8. Tbh I find it a lot worse in general than the 1st gens. I don’t think that has anything to do with woot, I think the quality of the 1st gens just plain holds up.

Everything electronic can occasionally use a good reboot to clean out lingering code in the RAM and let it perform a little better. Or as you put it, cobwebs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Except the Show 8 never had the common banded screen failures that trashed the reputation of the original 1st gen Show (7).

1 Like

Could be true. I’ve got 5 1st gen shows running in our house right now, though, and they have been for years and not one has had an issue.

How is the sound in comparison to the echo show? 8? I actually think the I guess echo show 8 pumps out better than expected sound. I wonder how this largest speaker sounds in comparison.

If it’s an improvement over the echo show 8, that would be enough to fill a room I think. Might make a good gift for my sister or something

If you’re asking how does the sound compare between the Show 10 (“2nd gen Show”, not the latest grapefruit-mounted, motorized Show10) and the Show 8 (both the 1st and 2nd gen Show 8s have identical sound)…

The Show 10 does have “bigger” sound than the Show 8. However, I would not describe the Show 10’s sound as any “cleaner” than the Show 8’s sound. To my ears, both Shows have equivalently clean sound. They both sound fairly good, but definitely not amazing. I’d say the Show 10’s bass frequencies sound a bit boomy, and over emphasized. The Show 8 sounds tighter, but with less bass.

If I were considering the Show 10 and Show 8, solely based upon sound quality, that would be a tough call with the Show 10 winning slightly. But it likely depends upon the types of music you prefer.

The bigger screen of the Show 10 is what really shines vs the Show 8 for consuming streaming video. Or for video calls.

1 Like