Econo-Heat Wall Heater

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/bb338963-1dcd-4527-a9d3-0810e35f3446.png

Econo-Heat Wall Heater
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Feb 16 to Tuesday, Feb 17) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Econo-Heat Wall Heater) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Econo-Heat Wall Heater) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Econo-Heat - Google Shopping Wall Heater)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/12/2015 - $59.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)
2/11/2015 - $59.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (7 comments)
1/10/2015 - $59.99 - Click To See Discussion (18 comments)

12/8/2014 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)
8/14/2014 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)
6/10/2014 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)

Pretty good reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) over at HomeDepot.com

Heater?

What is a “heater”?

It’s the middle of February, and, here in Arizona, my air conditioner isn’t working so well! :smiley:

Seriously, I lived in Hawaii, before I came home to Arizona, and 95% of the houses that cost more than $500K had NO heaters in them! (Think about it, half a Mill for a house, and the heater didn’t even work, because it wasn’t there!)

Here in Az, 50%. I’ve run mine 5 hours, this “winter” if you want to call it that.

STEVE

4.2 Stars over at Wayfair

There are multiple models - one with a thermostat, one without.

This appears to be the one without. You’ll need to supply your own, or turn it off and on to suit your heat requirements.

I have with (with thermostat), and it does a good job in our basement TV room. Takes the chill off and keeps it pleasant. As it’s an old (1900s) house, there are radiators everywhere buy down there, and would cost a fortune to add them.

Adding this works pretty well.

Thank you for the commentary. Now I feel ready to make a purchase. What are your thoughts on the price of tea in China?

In new yawk, with a half a mil house, your heater probably doesn’t work either.

The packaging on these is awful. Shipped in a display box with no protection. A flat ceramic item, with no additional precautions taken…what do you think that looks like when you open the box?

Mine was split in half. Order at your own risk…complete luck if it arrives in one piece.

Same here… Happen to me on my last order.

2 out of 3 box of rocks!

I had the same problem with a broken product when it arrived. You could tell by the box that it was going to be damaged before it was even opened. Woot was great about the return process, and although I would have tried my luck again with a replacement, they just refunded the money.

Agree about the packaging…mine appeared intact from the front, but plugged it in and 2 large cracks appeared when it heated up…and this model does heat up… and up. Very hot to the touch.

I bought one of these from Woot! in January. 1+ on manufacturer’s flimsy packaging resulting in a broken heater arriving DOA. Also 1+ on Woot’s relatively painless return policy.

I bought one these from Home Depot a couple of years ago. I installed it in our bathroom along with a towel warming rack to make the bathroom more cozy when my wife showers. The whole setup is tied into a timer so it has time to warm things up before using the shower. It works really well in a small room like the bathroom. Completely quiet and raises the temp in the room 10-15 degrees. Mine is also the non-thermostat version and we really like it. I don’t know how it would perform in a larger space.

P.S. I did see the disclaimer that they are not intended for use in a bathroom. Mine is located away from the shower and hard wired into the wall rather than plugged into a wall socket. The only way it would get wet would be to actually go over to it and dump water on it.

This device may not work in the US because in the US we use 60 cycle electricity.

READ this: Power Rating: 3.3 Amps, 120V, 50Hz

No one at WOOT was checking this.

50 or 60 cycle makes absolutely no difference for a heater of this sort - it’s only a matter of volts and amps. Now if it were a turntable or phonograph! (a what?!?!)

These should definitely be double-boxed, IMO. Mine came in one piece no problem, though. And after mounting it’s been happily heating the bathroom this winter season without a hitch, giving me a decent experiment in minimalism. I wouldn’t say it quite meets my needs. But in more temperate climates, it’d be great, and the small footprint is terrific in tight quarters.

I would caution folks, too, with their expectations. If you live in a place like NY, and are planning to place this in a room with poorly insulated exterior wall…it’s gonna suck. My bathroom is all of 50sqft with 64sqft of uninsulated brick exterior wall. The 400W spec by itself is not powerful enough to heat my bathroom past 69F unless it’s only modestly cold outside (say, in the high 40F’s), no matter how high you have the thermostat set (I’ve the version with a built-in thermostat). The thermodynamics that they hope to achieve is also a bit oversimplified, too, unless you’re talking about, say, a basement space where the walls are actually pretty well insulated from air outside. In a space that features an exterior wall, the dynamics you actually end up with will feature this small heat source generating an small upflow of heat against a relatively huge downwash of cold air from the heat dissipation that the rest of the wall experiences…so a much more mixed result of “air circulation,” even after it’s achieved a balance of thermal mass with the wall.

Also, for those who hope to attach this to a timer and achieve big swings in temperature throughout the day…temper your expectations. At 400W, you will be unsuccessful in moving the mark much over the course of a few hours. All you will do is give up the thermal mass it’s built up in the adjacent wall. If your ambition is to have the room’s temp drop down a couple of degrees at night…midday, and warm up when you need it, this is not the product for you. You need power to pull the temperature swings around like that. 900W, 1200W, 1500W…those specs will help alot if your ambition is to swing your temperatures all over the place. This spec is designed to be low power persistent heat, creating a wall of thermal mass that deals with moderate thermal needs.

Mounting the supports is also something of an exercise in drilling precision. If you get it wrong, you’re going to put tensile stress on ceramic. Does ceramic stand up to tensile stress at all? No. And their approach of giving you a styrofoam template to mark mounting locations leaves, IMO, WAY too much margin for error for a the standard (ignorant) consumer to get right. So I’m not surprised there’re tons of reports of cracked heaters. If you drill 4 mounting holes all at once, and they’re off by a few mm…you’re asking for trouble, and it doesn’t feel like your fault because you’re following instructions. but it makes a difference. My recommendation is to make your own drilling template using something that won’t flex, like the cardboard that it came in, and tap your hole before you drill it, so you’re pretty darn sure it’s not slipping sideways any. You’ll benefit from the precision.

It is a neat experiment in minimalism though. And I love it’s form factor…very unobtrusive…can be painted. For my needs, I’d seriously want to double the spec…perhaps double the surface area (buy two??) to deal with my northeastern US winters.

I purchased 3 of these in order to heat several rooms in my house. We run on oil out here in the country (Virginia) which isn’t cheap.

The trick with these is to turn the overall temperature of the whole house down about 5 degrees, then install these in the rooms you occupy. Right now the house is set to 62 degrees.

I didn’t have any trouble with the packaging or electricity that some of you are talking about.

Be prepared to pay significantly more for your electric bill if you run these kinds of heaters. My electric bill was $200 last month.

I"ve been using this in the US for a while now. Works without a glitch. It took 3 shipments for UPS to arrive it in tact though. This is a good price.

I would like mine to be mobile and wondered if anyone has an opinion as to whether it would be ok to put it on a easel?