Econo-Heat Wall Heater

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Econo-Heat Wall Heater
Price: $64.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Oct 16 to Monday, Oct 19) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://sellout.woot.com/offers/econo-heat-wall-heater-33) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Econo-Heat Wall Heater) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Econo-Heat Wall Heater)

4.3 Stars over at Home Depot

Why would I want to heat the wall? I’d rather heat the room.

Does this have a thermostat or does it need to be manually turned on? And does the panel itself get warm? I’m thinking of installing it in a stairway and wouldn’t want someone to accidentally touch it.

Purchased two a year or so ago. They work well in smaller rooms, but both of mine have cracked.

Home Depot shows a three year warranty. You should contact them about the cracks.

No thermostat - just on / off switch. It does get warm - I could touch it briefly but my family (who are kind of wussies about toaster ovens, etc) felt it “burned” them which it really didn’t. But you would definitely pull your hand back quickly.

Got this last spring, so haven’t used a whole season yet. Our issue was with receiving a cracked panel. Three times. But the company was great to deal with directly - first panel, I had to email the company and attach photos of the crack. They sent one out, received within a week. This one was cracked. I emailed her and she sent another without them requiring a photo.

Again damaged. This time I called her and said that I understand if they give up on delivering to us (it had now been a month)and they could refund our money if they preferred. She sent out one more, which made it in one piece.

Kind of makes me wonder what the production cost is on these, if they can afford to send out four for one purchase. Hmmm…

So make sure if you order, you open right away and check if it’s in one piece!

Reading the description might give you an answer:

It operates at relatively low surface temperatures (165–195°F, dependent on the ambient temperature), and uses minimal electricity

I have 2 of these, one in each child’s bedroom. They work excellently and exactly as advertised and I recommend them highly, but there are nuances you should know before deciding if they will meet your needs…

1. Think of these panels as a room heating booster, not a primary heat source. We set our home thermostat to drop the temperature in our house at night to 58 degrees and use these heaters to keep our kids rooms warm (and a heated mattress pad for us). This keeps everyone toasty all New England Winter long and saves us a bunch of money. However, those heaters are not strong enough to actually keep a room warm with the heat totally turned off.

2. They require precise installation if you don’t want them to crack on the wall over time. They give you a wall template to drill the 4 holes required, BE CAREFUL and make sure your holes are perfectly centered. The panel has a very thin ceramic coating on top that expands and contracts as it is heated. Those bolts must be perfectly centered to allow the ceramic the correct expansion room. If they are even a little off, the repeat tension will crack the panel. The panel will still work technically when cracked, but it looks bad and the crack could expand and expose the internal wires, which is bad.

3. The plate is definitely hot to the touch. No you won’t actually burn like touching a pan, but it will actively hurt and you’ll snap away from it, so try not to install it someplace you’ll brush against it a lot.

4. It takes time to heat a room. It is manual with no thermostat. We turn ours on when we are getting the kids ready for bed, around 90 minutes before the thermostat for the house drops the temperature. This ensures a seamless transition in room temp for our needs. Allow for a least 30 minutes to feel a difference in temperature.

5. This unit will effectively heat a 11’x13’ bedroom, but I would not go significantly larger than that (or install 2 units).

6. There customer service is excellent. We had a heater crack on the wall due to imprecise placement and they sent a free replacement with no hassles. Once we learned from them that the crack does not damage functionality as long as the internal wires aren’t exposed, we decided to keep the cracked one up too in our other child’s room, and it has been working great for 2 yrs now post-cracking (3 yrs total).

Hope this all helps!

I bought this on woot over a year ago, and I swear by it. I have it set up in my kid’s room for the winter.

I set my thermostat to 60 degrees at night, which is way too cold for a small child. So my only option was to heat the entire house to 68 to keep her comfy. Then I bought this on woot.

I have this set on a timer to kick on an hour after the thermostat goes down, and to turn off before the thermostat goes up. I used it all last year with success. I spend $.44 running this for 8 hour hours. So versus heating my entire house to for 8 hours I save about a dollar a day depending on how cold it is outside. That’s $120 a year in savings on average for me.

This will keep the room temperature about 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house in my observation.

I highly recommend it for supplemental heat for a bedroom at night. It works wonderfully.

Yes the panel gets warm…the whole thing. And you can touch it w/o getting burned, just not for prolonged periods of time.

I have 3 of these in my Buffalo,NY home. Would cost a fortune to heat this old house w/o them. I heat 2 baby rooms and a loft with them. They’re awesome. I’ve had them for 6 years now. I have to shut off the heating vents in those rooms or it would get too hot.

We have these in our bedrooms, work great for smaller rooms (highly recommend!!!). However, I don’t believe they’d be very effective in a stairway where any warming would be quickly disbursed. Plus you need an outlet within a few feet of the unit, which not many stairways have…

One of mine cracked 3 years ago (it’s 6 years old) and it still works fine. The paint hides the crack well. It was cracked during a move…I have to assume someone dropped the box.

Darnit, I came here to make the same stupid joke.

I have used both this and an oil radiator and determined that by using a $40 oil filled radiator, it works out to be a much lower cost option and much more flexible.

Most oil radiators have three settings, low, medium and high, along with a thermostat. The low setting runs at 750 watts. With the thermostat at 3 (out of 1-6), it keeps a 12x12 bedroom at a toasty 72 degrees, when it is in the 20’s outside. Best of all, it “clicks” on for around 30 minutes per hour. So I am actually using less wattage than this item. Plus, I have the portability of a unit on wheels, I can place it in middle of the room for better heat disbursement, the control of a thermostat. And finally, it’s only $40

however if you do want a wall mounted unit, I would recommend www.envi-heat.com - it is double the cost, but has many benefits such as built in thermostat, much lower surface temperature, simpler install and much less cracked panel issues than we see with this unit.

Much like the electric heater discussion of a few days ago, I’ll remind everyone that all heaters are 100% efficient. 400W isn’t much, so no matter what “tricks” it uses, it will still only heat so well. As mentioned, an oil-filled radiator will usually operate at 750W+, which is almost twice the heat generated, and of course will be better at warming large rooms.

I see this a lot - does this mean there is almost no difference bwtween a $10 wal mart fan heater and a $300 monstrous ceramic machine if they both suck 1500 watts?

I have a larger family room (about 12 x 25) on the lower level of our split level home and wondering if installing one on each side would work to heat the room. My concern is that there are two open entries to the family room (one standard size and other about double the size of a normal door). For those that have these in their home, do you think they could maintain the heat in this area, or would I just lose it to the rest of the lower level and/or have it just rise to to the upper level?