EdenPURE Quartz Infrared Heater

Consumer Reports says that Edenpure’s statement that it will save money is long on talk but short on facts.

Natural gas costs about 1/2 of what electricity will cost to heat the same room to the same temperature.

Only if you heat with something else like oil will electricity possibly be cheaper in that situation.

The unit that was recalled from costco I had simular ones from eden pure that grampa purchased back in 06 i believe.
They do work great in small rooms I would suggest 10x12. Never let them run continuously or else elements do fail. I had to bypass a couple of the elements to get it to run properly after they failed. Eden pure actually replaced it when I called them about the units as they changed the warranty terms and we did not know it.

But i donated them to a family that has 1 propane heater in the hallway so they could help keep the kids rooms warm without burning up all there propane. They are totally happy with them & they have less worries with the kids touching it.

Never had fan issues. Only had elements go bad in both after couple years.

There literally is no difference between these & the old ones. they operate the same just look nicer & have bit more to them.

Also there customer service is great. they paid the return shipping also.

Claiming an item contains “cured copper” (as the manufacturer states) is like marketing a house and listing “cured paint” as one of its features.

We bought one of these a couple years ago (not sure if exact same model but looks like it) in the hopes of saving money since oil was on its way up.

It didn’t heat our very small one story four room house very well at all. We had to shut it off to two rooms and then it worked adequately. Even then, the electricity costs were high enough that it was a wash. When you consider the cost of the unit itself, you’re probably wasting your time.

If you’re only going to use it for a small area, it’s fine. Also, doesn’t get hot enough anywhere on the surface to injure yourself or catch anything on fire. Ours is probably two or three years old at this point and though we don’t get it out very often we’ve never had any reliability issues.

You can’t go wrong with “pure” and “eden”. Some marketing weenie is going to end up where there’s a lot of heat- forever. This is a forced air convection heater, not infrared. And it’s made of plastic which can burn. I like my heaters all-metal. BTW any resistance heater which uses 900 watts of electricity emits exactly 900 watts of heat. They are all 100 percent efficient, but they are the most expensive form of heating.

You would be a sucker to not get the paint curing upgrade on a new home.

My folks use them to heat small space – room they happen to be in so they don’t have to crank way up the thermostat for the whole house. They have 3 of them-- bought one and then after seeing how great they were added 2 more.
They work very well for that purpose.
Not sure if they have this exact model.

One problem – the also have those energy saving lightbulbs in a lamp connected to the same plug => fuse trip. Plug needs updated. So a good incentive to get that done. ( In the meantime moved that heater. For some reason using different bulbs is not an option in their way of thinking)
and yes I will be calling an electrician for them.

That said --They are safer then many other heaters cause they don’t get hot on the outside at all. My mom is seeing impaired, and so this safety feature is important.

BTW : even with the safety features and the move to an update plug—
I ordered 3 of the duel smoke/fire detectors that were on sellout. woot the other day.
Their’s are old and this whole fuse tripping thing made me do a lot of thinking of safety updates of all sorts.
Just thought I’d mention in case others have old detectors and need a reminder !
( did some research and they seem to have some good reviews – but I think they are gone… but you know how it is… stuff often shows back up sooner or later : )

All home heaters are limited by law to 1500 Watts.

Is Woot down to about six total things it sells nowadays?

I love going to the Salvation Army thrift store and seeing the product fads of past years.

There was a quartz rod tower heater there that reminded me of a comment one guy told me back when these were new in the early 80’s.

He said quartz heat only warmed living things (IE humans), not inanimate objects.

Beware of bad info and heater fads. And if you need a singing wall fish, the SA store has quite a few…cheap.

A sunroom on the north of the house is a great place to eat your Vegemite sandwich.

If you don’t eat Vegemite, your sunroom should probably be on the other side.

I know Edenpure gets a lot of hate, but we like ours for what it’s worth. It’s obvious that it’s no more or less efficient than any other electric space heater, but we primarly bought it because we have a toddler running around and appreciated that every part is cool (or at most, slightly warm) to the touch. That’s definitely important to us.

EdenPURE Infrared Heaters, like all “infrared” space heaters are marketing gimmicks that prey on the general public’s inability to sort out relevant electrical specs from bullshit. This company provides no coherent back-up for any of their claims and there is no justification for them to charge any more than the cost of a comparable wattage electric space heater at Walmart. EdenPURE is a substance-less embarrassment to free enterprise and brings shame to any retailer who is naive enough to associate with this worthless and unethical company.

Woot! You can do better!!!

For the price, performance, and capabilities, i would rather buy this at the same price:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589678_200589678

I’ll put my 3Kw Stack heater up against this thing anytime and you can buy these at yard sales for <$20. All you need is a 240v outlet and a big checkbook to pay for the spinning electric meter along with convincing that warm toes are worth it!

Me thinks thou dost assume too much…

Really, check out the one star review on Amazon…

Not even close to worth the money, ANY electric heater will be 100% efficient, 1500 watts of heat is 1500 watts of heat, no matter what kind of element is used (short of heat pumps, those can surpass 100%, but they are also NOT very portable).

You can buy 5 basic 1500 watt space heaters at a certain “orange” home improvement store for the price of this one.

Also 1500 watt moniker is somewhat misleading, these cannot legally put out 1500 watts on 120 volts, they can only achieve 1500 watts on 125 volts. At 120 volts you are only getting 1440 watts, but ALL heater companies lie about this, cannot fault EdenPURE more than any other company. Max allowed continuous load on a 120 volt 15amp circuit is 12amps (12*120=1440).

I swear by this technology. These heaters are terrific! That being said, THIS one (unless it’s a typo) is rated for 300 square feet. For roughly the same price, you can get a similar heater that is rated for 1500 square feet! Mine heats our whole downstairs, and has saved us around $100 per month on our gas bill. Granted, my furnace is an OLD, clunky, inefficient gas beast…

You sound like you know electrical, but I disagree with your claim about efficiency- 15 100 watt light bulbs use 1500 watts, but don’t give off near as much heat. It’s the same with a red-light element, or oil-filled heater versus infra-red forced air- energy is lost via other means than heat. I’ve tried ceramic, oil-filled, radiant, and NONE heat the same area as efficiently as this type (not this particular one, though.) THIS type of heater does not get super hot at the source, yet spreads warmth over the entire room. The others mentioned above get uncomfortably warm close to the heaters, and don’t heat the rest of the room evenly.