electric guitars

My fourteen year old has taught himself to play the acoustic guitar, quite well actually, and now would like an electric guitar for Christmas.
Does anyone know a good site where I can get a good starter guitar and amp without spending a lot?
After he taught himself to play piano, he lost interest fairly quickly and I don’t want to spend a lot of $$ if this turns out the same way.
Thanks.

I don’t know any sites, I would just check the local pawn shops if I was you.

I agree if you are not wanting to spend a lot of money a pawn shop would be your best bet. Just make sure that it works.

These two links are the modern incarnation of what I started playing guitar with.

The guitar is an epiphone les paul special II.
It is essentially a basic starter electric guitar.
I still have mine, and still play it occasionally.
I have had it for about 10 or 11 years, and it shows wear and tear.
But it was a perfect starter guitar to learn on, and play with.
If you or your son wants to try it before you buy it online, go to Guitar Center, they should have one up on the walls.
Also, you can usually make deals with the guys at guitar center, basically ask them if they will include anything with the guitar, or lower the price. Usually they do something for you.

My son did exactly that. Tried it out at the Guitar Center and bought it from the musicians friend site.
This was only last year.
My niece actually bought a guitar at the guitar center two years ago. She had looked around a bit before.

I don’t know if they are the best buy. They were looking for good value and had done some shopping around.

Thanks for the imput all.

I bought an Electric Guitar-amp combo at Target, (on clearance) for about $89…
It’s not a bad guitar, it “looks cool” and once tuned, actually sounds as good as the real thing.