Electrolux Oxygen 3 PlasmaWave HEPA Air Purifier

The best way to eliminate litter box odors is to eliminate the cats. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is, how its work @company’s website.

I have no experience with this unit, but I have tried lots of air filtration devices. The one’s that have worked best for me have had electrostatic washable filter plates rather than the “furnace filters” that this unit uses. I have found that every ozone producing unit aggravates asthma sufferers (as well as cats with respiratory disease), so I always have to turn off the ozone function.(Ozone does seem to help with odors, though). This unit does not appear to have the option of disabling the ozone. One other observation: I’ve never seen the “clean filter” warning correlate with the actual condition of the filter, but maybe this one’s different.

What exactly does a Library sound like? hmmm

While a different product… it may operate similarly. The one you posted is for a $400 model… the EL500.

I read about this, but then found one that is supposedly better at www.new-aire.com . It’s called the XJ-3000C and it has both a UV light that kills the bacteria and viruses in the air and a HEPA filter that has three layers, one prefilter, then a charcoal filter, then the hepa filter that takes all the crap out of the air. I got one and truly can tell the difference in the air, (and it has Ozone if you choose to run that, but they say thats not good for the rubber in your house or something). I say shop around…

ATTENTION: If you have a central HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system and you’re concerned with air quality, the most effective solution is to use an appropriate filter on your HVAC system.

Your HVAC system circulates approximately 400 CFM per ton. If you have a 5 ton AC, the system will move 2000 cubic feet per minute through the filter on the system.

There are a myriad of filters you can purchase for your HVAC system…charcoal, HEPA, electrostatic, etc.

In a nut shell, you probably already have the infrastructure to condition your air. This product filters a relatively (compared to your HVAC system) insignificant volume of air.

If you only have radiators and nothing that forces air through a filter, you might benefit from this. If you have an HVAC system, take a look at filtration systems designed for the high volume air movement your system handles.

this looks like it would tip over if i bumped into it i wonder if it can withstand a couple of falls

I bought one of these in a previous woot last year and I love the unit, and it works well but buying a new filter was both hard to find and expensive.

There is a carbon filter that needs to be changed every 3 months or so (3 filters for $20 or so), and a Hepa filter that needs to be changed every year or so (50-60)…

Anyways the filters were really hard to find.

Where would be the best place to put this for a small 3-level open-floor residence? Or would one need one per level?

I bought two Filtrete Air purifiers a few years ago right here. Great price. The filters were sold locally, and would be on sale now and then. Now, only online, and they cost 20 apiece, and do not last longer than 6 weeks. Very good filtration is wonderful, but you need to find out the running cost of the Air Purifier. Had I known, I would not have bought them.

Does the ozone thing really make a big difference? I have a 4 year old son and am worried about that.

My concern with replacement filters is that someone will stop making them and I’ll be left with an expensive fan

That unit seems to be sold under various names. It is available on Amazon for a little less. http://www.amazon.com/Surround-Air-Multi-Tech-XJ-3000C-Purifier/dp/B000HVRIAC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

There is another unit by the same manufacturer that gets high ratings and has a washable hepa filter - http://www.amazon.com/Surround-Air-Multi-Tech-S3000-Purifier/dp/B000ZKM83W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The washable filters would seem to help lower the cost of operation. This unit is about $152.00. Considering the cost of the filters for this woot, it wouldn’t take long to recoup the price difference. It is also listed to support up to a 600 sq ft room.

Great idea. I have tried various special filters for my central HVAC system. Unfortunately I have never really noticed any difference with them.

I had a outside smoking roommate some time ago, while he smoked outside, his clothes smelled so bad, the odor would wake me up in the morning from him coming in the house from the back door!

I tried special filters then as well and they didn’t help. Of course with filters in the HVAC system you would need to run the system fan all the time.

At least most of the smaller units like this one have timers and other features making them possibly more practical then running the larger systems fan all of the time.

I’ve owned an ozone air purifier and it gave off a distict ozone smell. Does anyone know if this does the same? Its hard to describe the smell, but once you smell it, its hard to forget it. Brings me back to science labs.

or toilet train your cat, like i did.

seriously. if i could teach her how to flush, i would be all set.

It probably does make a difference, but I wouldn’t use the ozone feature, myself.

I work for a restoration company, and we use ozone (in much greater concentrations than the one this unit produces, mind you) to remove the burnt smell in a structure after it’s been exposed to smoke and/or fire damage.

It works great for that, but has to be handled with caution.

Before ozone is injected into a room, that room needs to be sealed off, and anything that’s living in the room (plants, pets, whatever) must be removed from the room if they want it to continue living; I’ve heard of plants turning black after being left with a room injected with ozone. As well, any rubber or soft plastics need to be removed from the room as ozone will react with and deteriorate them.

Again - we’re working with much greater concentrations - so take from that what you will.

Well…I feed my three top quality basically pure protein EVO brand kitty food and their poop does have odor…as well as their pee. So I am in for one :slight_smile: