Element 40” 1080p LCD HDTV

Kmart has em for $400 on their site brand new.

I was referring to the Walmart link that showed THIS woot item as brand new for 450. The 120 Hz is 489 at Walmart.

The main reason I know of these things is that I’ve been following the Element TV’s at Walmart for a few weeks. I am wondering about this one, as I can get a new 32 inch 120 Hz Element there for the same price as this refurb 40 inch 60 Hz on Woot.

Decisions, decisions!

Wow I don’t understand how you haven’t order this already! 32in? really?

I have to admit, this caught my eye. I am looking for a 42" LCD and have been watching the prices come down more and more at Costco for their Vizios. It used to be at Costco that the same size (different brands) were separated and you would have to go back and forth to try to judge the picture, however the last time I was in there they place all the same size LCD’s next to each other so you can truely A/B/C etc. them. Turns out that Vizio ( I realize there different models of their 42’s) doesn’t have a bad looking picture at all. I thought that for the money, this might be the ticket and save a few bucks in the process but since I am looking for more than just a basic budget brand, I don’t think I will mind spending the extra dollars for a set that has all those little things that this one seems to be lacking in that has already benn mentioned in previous posts.

Just my opinion. Happy wooting everyone.

yeah yeah 1080p, 30000:1 contrast blah blah.

i want to know what was the terrible secret the group was hiding? what was behind the mysterious circumstances of the death of the elven ranger?

Absolutely yes. I do that with both of my “monitors (which are 32” and 37" 1080p LCD TVs), and the picture is fantastic. If your video card has either an HDMI output or a DVI output, with the appropriate cable you can connect to your LCD TV’s HDMI input and have some truly spectacular gaming. If your video card is recent (say, 2 years old or newer) and is a gaming-class card, its drivers will almost certainly recognize your monitor and “just work”.

World of Warcraft and EVE Online look amazing on the big screen.

The one from Kmart isn’t the same model; it actually is a slightly better model, with 3 HDMI inputs instead of 2 (and probably a few other minor upgrades as well).

Wait - but if this TV won’t help me out in the inevitable event where I am kidnapped and tortured by an old friend who was wronged years ago during an RPG, then what reason do I have to buy it? I mean, the 40 inch LCD screen in 1080p just isn’t enough reason for $365!!

Oh, wait… yeah. Yeah it is.

If I had more money, it would be bought by now. But as it stands, I have to decide whether I’m willing to forgo t-shirts for a while so I can replace my old, giant, weighs-more-than-my-dad Sony Trinitron.
This seems like a pretty darn good price for what you get though… I’ll have to check out the reviews and other links everyone has posted - thanks for posting them by the way! They will be muy helpful-cito in decision making!

Well, it mostly comes down to two things. 120 Hz is twice the refresh rate, and I’d rather have a smoother picture than a bigger one that is going to “blur” when there is a lot of action on the screen.

The second thing is the 40 inch here is a refurb, and since I’m not really sure how good an Element TV is, I might want to go with something I can return to a store that is only 4 miles from my house, rather than ship back to a really cool warehouse in Texas.

I might wait until the morning until more people post about the quality (or lack thereof) the Element brand.

This is a really excellent price for this tv… add in the $50 squaretrade warranty and you’ll come in well below the price of a new tv this size at Sam’s club. I’m personally waiting for a great price on a 120 Hz because of my penchant for sports, but if you don’t watch baseball or football (or if you just want a great deal), and this is the size you want, then you need to jump all over this

Product Website

manual

More or less half the internet is blocked here at work so I can’t find out who makes the TVs, all the AV forums are blocked :frowning:

As far as using a 40" 1080p TV as a monitor goes, it will work just fine. Don’t expect high res gaming to look as sharp or good as it would on a 1080p (or higher) computer monitor though.

What’s the advantage of a 120Hz tv?

Consumer Reports

HDTV Review

froogled

Check out this article on response rates.

or this one

As far as I can tell, most people wouldn’t know the difference unless the displays were right next to each other. But the idea is that the picture refreshes faster, which decreases the “blurring” that you may or may not notice when the camera is moving quickly laterally.

The only way to tell if you really care is to watch a 60Hz and a 120Hz side-by-side with your favorite type of show playing. The best way to save money is to buy a 60Hz and tell yourself with conviction that you don’t give a damn…

This brand is often found at Best Buy. I am using a smaller Element set for a computer monitor and it has worked great for over two years. Good picture, good sound.

i have a 19" element 720p that i received as a gift about three years ago…i havent had any problems with it, and have used it over the past year as a computer monitor rather than a television…i don’t know how well element does on their refurbs, but its a good budget buy…it would serve well as a television for kids, give them a large enough screen for video games and movies

Where does it say it’s 60 Hz? I won’t do anything less than 240… I should probably make my next purchase a Thin Plasma as those operate at 600 or more.

I don’t need a TV, but that picture on the TV is awesome, can we get a copy of that in high res.?