eMachines 1.6Ghz Desktop Computer

AND Acer owns eMAC/GTWY, so go figure…

Not familiar with the Acer Emo, or whatev… more ram? Core2Quad?, 22" All in One Touch Screen or a (Archie Bunker slo-mo headtwist) NeyyytttBoooook?

It would be pretty stupid to turn this down at 5 bucks. The Vista key alone could probably make you a profit on eBay, as could the 160gb 7200 rpm hard drive.

I wouldn’t pay much more than that, but $5 seems about right.

Looks like Sata II (checked a review and Nvidia page for Integrated Series 7 also mentioned Nvidia raid)

Looks like 4 sata ports when you zoom in on the newegg pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114072

2 reviews

1 from someone who does not seem to understand celerons are slow, and no one gives out restore discs anymore.

1 who points out its a machine you can upgrade, and lists some possibilities.

the 250 watt power supply seems a little meager to go to crazy with…

YMMV…
I’d think for light duty or a kids computer more than enough.

Honestly, the Atom, though pretty good for lower power is slower than the Celeron in this machine. As for Celerons, when the next gen drops down into the Celeron range they can be a decent deal, look at the E3200/3300 for example, pretty close to the original E6600 in specs at a lot lower power. The 7050 graphics are no comparison to the 9300/ION though. It’s kind of a toss up, the Atom 330 in an ION nettop for $200 would be a nice deal though.

Ha

No it’s not.

Not more than enough, but perhaps “just enough”.

Whatever it might be useful for, it’s just not worth $200. If this is your price range, you’re better off getting something used.

Same thing happened to my emachines computer. Took about 2 years.

Will this upgrade to 4gb RAM? and a Dual Core Processor (not a Core2Duo), downgrade to XP?

OR is there other units not worth this hassle?, same or close to price?

Gateway bought Emachines

Acer bought Gateway

this is an Acer LOL

Just in case this hasn’t been clarified yet (I didn’t read through all the comments), this baby comes equipped with 1.6 GHz of lightning-quick single core processing power.

Most atom netbooks (or nettops, for that matter) are 1.6 GHz dual core. I have no idea what they were trying to prove by installing Vista on these, they must take half an hour to boot. I would say that you could just wipe the hard drives and install XP or Ubuntu, but hell, This is probably more of a Windows 98 machine.

Do yourself a favor and ask a system builder to put together an Ubuntu netbook if you want this sort of thing. It’ll probably be the same price or cheaper and you’ll get more processing speed and less power consumption.

true true
huhsecond post on hereand i’ve figured it out…joy

Is that a g-g-g-g-Ghost?

Mods, if this post ain’t kosher just delete it; and my apologies.

EVERYBODY WHO BUYS ONE OF THESE eMACHINES:

I’ve got some leftover processors sitting on my desk at work. If anyone is interested I’ll list them on Ebay for $8 each with free USPS shipping.

10 - 2.0GHz Celerons (SL6SW, SL6VY)
1 - 1.8GHz Pentium 4 (SL5VJ)

$50 cheaper than newegg, and msrp is $299.

not a bad deal.

and what do you know about that - my itunes bill - anyway, the amount is, uh, it’s sorta hard to read with those, i guess they must be poutine stains.

Joke, right? Buy a box from a brand with the worst reliability reputation in the business, and make it a server - the one machine in your house you would least want to see fail?

You’d be better off buying a used off-lease IBM desktop from a wholesaler, putting in a new drive from Fry’s or Newegg, and turning that into your file server. It’d be cheaper, and I’d still trust it way more than an eMachines box.

I used to have an eMachine and sold it online after 2 months of use. It’s garbage. It’s loud and slow.

Here is this Computer on sale at Best Buy. It gives much more detailed information about the specs. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9352381&type=product&id=1218089773835

Same thing happened to me about 16 months down the line on a crappy little desktop I bought. With the processor so slow on this one I wouldn’t even bother. Get yourself an eee pc instead, it’s just as cheap and 1000x better.