eMachines AMD Dual Core Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
how 'bout some Jell-O, wooters.us?

eMachines AMD Dual Core Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium [Refurbished] - $269.99 + $5 shipping

1 * eMachines ET1331-02 AMD Athlon II X2 2.7Ghz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB SATA, DVD±R/RW, Win 7 Home Prem

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Product Website

Ugh, eMachines. Also know as Gateway crap.

Just had an eMachines box die one day out of warranty, and not only were they not willing to give me a break on the parts, the parts weren’t even available anymore. So, I’m scrapping it an buying a new one from Dell or HP.

tldr version: eMachines sucks. Stay away.

This used to be sold at Costco for $499, but that included a 20" monitor and a 2 yr warranty.

Here’s a review from PC Mag

Here’s a review of the video card at AnandTech

In this months Consumer Reports they rated Acer/Gateway/eMachines the worst in customer service.
Though some of their computers ranked very well (#1 rated Netbook (Acer 532h-2730)) They actually deducted points for the poor customer service.
This desktop was not ranked. But seems it would be a good basic computer for surfing the internet and basic M$ Office stuff. Not bad for 270 bucks if you don’t plan on gaming and know your not going to get any help WHEN it breaks.

I had a bad experience with an emachine. The build isn’t great and the fan/power supply seems insufficient.

does this have slots for like putting in your own video card like pci express slots or anything?

Interestingly, a week ago woot’s other site (there’s another site?!?) had a very similar machine for $30 more. http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13133 The differences: the other machine had an Intel processor (this one has AMD) and a 750G hard-drive (this one has 360G). But also, the other machine had ZERO memory expansion slots, while this one has two. Worth $30 more? Or more than that? I don’t know.

I do know there was much discussion about eMachines quality (or lack thereof) and whether it had risen above it since being acquired by Gateway which was then acquired by Acer. So if that’s an issue for you, read up there. http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13133

I was very interested, looking for a basic utilitarian machine, but did not buy it then. I don’t know if I’m going to buy it now.

Emachines sucked before Gateway, and they still suck now, however this is a decent deal if you change the power supply out of the box (which you might try on your dead machine). As far as replacing it with an HP, they are garbage, and support is just as great as Emachines. I have heard that Dell is ok now, but have no experience with them.

love the writing. how about the editing?

“the move has left my a little strapped for cash,”

If you look at the Inside View, you can see one PCI Express x16 slot (the orange one) and two PCI Express x1 slots (the two small ones below it), as well as one plain old PCI slot below those. Which is all nicely confirmed by the motherboard specs that Viggo, erm, NightGhost (sorry) posted above. So, like, yes.

I have LOTS of great experience with Dell, Lenovo/IBM, and decent experience with HP. I service computers for a living, so I can tell you, it’s all about knowing what you’re needing.

If you don’t know computers (and thus would ask if this is a good one) or you have a friend who doesn’t need to know computers, this is a good computer for them. Don’t expect that this is a device you can upgrade a lot of parts on - that’s not really the intent of this device. It’s a great standalone take care of business machine, and nothing more. It’ll definitely get the job done, and at the price, I’d say it’s worth a buy if you see a need for a device that handles simple office applications and video/music playback.

Do you have any statistics (heck, your personal experience will do) about eMachines failing more than other brands? They’ve had a rep for being of cheap quality since the brand first came out.

OTOH, I have two of those $150 GQ boxes that Frys used to sell, and they both still work.

Be careful if you have 32-bit drivers for wi-fi and whatnot. You will need to make sure there are 64-bit drivers available for Windows 7. Also, for customer service, the one post at the end of:
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13133
by punk1984 mentions a support company called “Revonate”.

It has one PCI Express x16 slot, which is what most graphic cards use. It isn’t SLI or crossfire compatible though.

HDMI???

Sellout.woot.com is like a wootoff, only much slower. no?