eMachines Pentium D Dual Core 3.0GHz Desktop PC

Yeah, huh? Home Premium wants 2Gb to run. I really want this machine tho. I’d maybe put Linux or XP on it until I could up the ram. I’ve had eMachines before and wouldn’t hesitate on getting another. Keyboard, speakers, case & power supply plus a copy of Vista. Hard to beat the price.

Go to newegg and buy 2 gigs of ram for $28.00 and a decent video card and this thing is a deal!

Is the RAM upgradeable?

the processor is too slow for 1080P. however, if you buy a card that supports hardware HD video decoding, you will be fine. AMD HD36**/HD46** should do the job.
otherwise, this is perfect for a router or a file server. through a couple of 500GB drives in it, and “p2p here I come!” :slight_smile:

Would this support RAID 1 in hardware?

only if you put a RAID card in it. no motherboard has built in RAID processor, at least I’ve never seen one, only software emulated. and let me tell ya, a true hardware RAID card is gonna cost you more than this machine.

eMachines get good reviews on alatest…
http://alatest.com/searchaction.html?keyword1=eMachines+Pentium+PC

Its good for a base setup to build off of. Spend like $100 on a good graphics card, another $50 for some RAM and wham! you got a pretty high end computer.

All ATX and mATX motherboards have a parallel port.

Vista is way better than XP. Why? In Spider and Freecell, undo goes back beyond the previous card deal! You can even undo back to when you played the first card. Now there’s no excuse for not having a high winning percentage.

There are built-in RAID chipsets on motherboards…

All? Just going by Newegg -> Motherboards, the GA-EP45-DS4P doesn’t have parallel. Many motherboards even going back a few years have spared the parallel port for a fan to cool the capacitors/voltage regulator or just other ports.

I have a really old comp bout 7-10 years old with Intel Pre 4 32-bit, 768MB of ram, 2.00GHz, and a small hard drive of 32 GBs which kills me already wanting to upgrade.

Would this be even worth getting from what i have now?

I just bought one of these and regretfully know very little about upgrading PC’s. Can anyone recommend some cheap memory and a cheap video card. Any links would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Edit: Will this memory work? thanks for any help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16820134384

SONOFA!!! I was about to buy 3, when it sold out…freakin crap!!!

wow that’s a fast sellout

That would be a big step up for me. (Still making do with the 1 GHz P3 and a half-gig of RAM—which is fine for most things, but doesn’t cut it for some video, or really bloated web sites (e.g. Facebook and their 200k of scripts and style sheets per page).

I’m tempted by this. I wish it had bigger drive, though. If it had a 500 gig (or a pair of 250s) and was still under $220, i’d probably be on it. (Fister would get an express trip to the auction block, of course!)

2 problems: its an emachine (no confidence for those) and its sold out (wouldev bought it anyway cause its cheap as heck)

Can’t tell the exact number, but from the number of woots and the graph of how many wooters bought one, two, or three, there were only about 100 or so available. I’m bummed too.

Look at bottom it says
Total Woots 76

Yes limited stock, but froogle has them for 199 too on eBay and few stores
eMachines W5233 - Google Shopping

k. let’s see here.
eMachines = junk
Ram = junk (and not even enough junk at that)
Power? Doubt it! (So you can forget using that PCI-e…)
A refurb? On an eMachine? Can haz bomb?
Motherboard = Motherf***erboard.

Hope you guys weren’t expecting anything good…
But for $190? You could pawn it off on some poor sap.
Oh, wait. That’s what woot did…