Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

This 2008 Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet is priced at a bargain price but sourced from vineyards that demand a much higher price tag. Rutherford, Atlas Peak, Wooden Valley and even Oso vineyard contributed grapes for this vintage.

This Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet is a great example of the cabernets that put Napa Valley on the dinner table. It is a blend of Hillside and Valley fruit, with a varietal blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. And - at a great price.

Thanks for jumping in! Can you tell us who you are? Owner? Wine maker? Marketing rep? Paid shill?

This wine was a limited production, that has since grown into what you would probably see currently in the market (2010 vintage in a silkscreen bottle). The 2008 went through Malolactic fermentation in barrel and then 18 months aging in New French oak barrels.

Marketing - the winemaker was Rob Mondavi Jr, and the wine was made at the Michael Mondavi Family Estate in Napa.

Your pH numbers seem high (ripe fruit) but your alc. is really reasonable at only 13.5%. Did you remove alcohol? Is the number actually higher but takes advantage of the allowed +/- 0.5%?

What Kyle said, and …
Given the 18 months in new oak, can you also comment on oak/tannin expressions. That long even in a neutral toast suggests this is best left for a few more years, at least; but the pH argues otherwise.

Alcohol analysis was 13.73% and the goal with this wine was to keep the alcohol between 13.5% and 13.8%. Our goal was to produce a balanced wine that delivered on palate and price.

Oh come on Woot gods open up for Michigan shipping please!!! We didn’t do anything wrong with all these laws…this is 3 orders now I have had to miss :frowning:

The higher pH was intentional because Rob feels that it offers a rounder mouthfeel, as for oak/tannin expression - all I can say is I opened a bottle several weeks ago and it tasted great.

LIVE TASTING AT THE WCC OFFICES- After all, it’s 3PM somewhere… WD & yours truly providing this service…

Deep burgundy color.

Vibrant nose- caught it from a good distance- of plums and cherry cobbler.

On the palate, ripe blackberries and cocoa… nice mid-palate, smooth yet present tannins. Says WD: over the top QPR IMO.

Sounds tasty, hope to see this one again after shipping issues are resolved.

So it this mostly about I’m at my peak drink me now fruit, or a candidate to pick up again in a few years?

I will open it today or up to 5 years from now with confidence. But at this price, not sure it would last 5 years… I really enjoy this wine, and this brand.

I don’t think it’s at it’s peak. You can lay down with confidence for at least another couple of years… IMO

Edit: I see the winery said basically the same thing above me.