Emerson Ice Maker

I also got one the last time woot hade them, but it broke last month. for the price we liked it enough i think i will try it again. the heighbors liked it so much they kept coming over and eating it.

You mean 0C?

You probably have metallic water. Bad water will produce bad ice.

Try thinking in the long term, not the short term. It’s cold now, but does it get warm? Or hot? Super sticky? Gross to the point you want to melt into a puddle of water and jump into a freezer? If yes, this might be an investment that will give you future returns but not immediate ones. I’m in the DC area as well and our summers can be miserable.

Ice, ice, baby! Totally icesome. Ice me no questions, I’ll tell you no ice. No more buying bags of frozen water. Ice whenever I want it. Return to the ice age.

Ice couldn’t live without it. The ice has it…what more could ice say.

The taste is because either a)your water needs to be filtered or b)you didn’t thoroughly flush the system and wash everything before using it or c)both of the above.

The shape–who cares? It’s ice.

Ordered one of these from Woot on 1/3/2013 and it did not work, dead, right out of the box. I’ve emailed Woot customer service twice now and no response! Order at your own risk!

Wuss. It was -14F here on Tuesday. That’s -26C.

0F is not -32C, it’s (approx) -17C. Figure 10 degrees of Celsius for each 18 degrees of Fahrenheit.

I’ll bet you’ll still want ice in your drinks at the Superbowl party though, won’t you?

No, I think he means 0F which is ~-18C.

I bought, one of these from target about a year ago, since then I have had to replace it 3 times. Luckily target has a great return policy, but overall, they are junk.

I paid $129 at target for one of the about 5 years ago. Broke! Cost $70 to ship it back. They replaced it. The replacement broke, I didn’t bother with warranty the second time. This is a good price. But forget warranty when it dies, throw it out. Maybe get 2!

Bought one of these last time it was on woot and the water tray cracked 6 months later. It was great before it broke though.

I’ve bought two from Woot at different times and love it. I say “it” because that tiiiiiiiny rubber plug that you need to pull out to drain it gets lost veeerrrrrrry easily, so I pretty much paid almost eighty bucks for a replacement plug when I bought the second one. When you’re draining it, watch out for that little rubber plug. (I called the company to get a replacement and they had no idea what I was talking about, too.)

Bullet-shaped ice will actually cool your drinks faster than cubes. Cooling is all about the surface area and bullets have way more surface area than cubes. So if cool drinks matter to you, that’s a good thing.

It’s about 14F here today. It won’t be that forever; I bought the ice maker.

Seems like it’s a roll of the dice as to whether you get a good one or not. For the price, I’ll take the risk :slight_smile: I see a “refurb” as a unit that’s had all its problems fixed…

Power draw seems low enough that we can take it camping and use an inverter in the truck. Considering ice costs about $2 for 5#, the thing will pay for itself in a season or less.

I got mine from Woot last summer some time. I love it! We usually let it run much of the day on Sundays to fill our freezer with ice for the week.

The bullet shape doesn’t bother me at all (I actually like it a lot), the large size cubes are plenty big for me, and I’ve never had an issue with taste, even though we use regular tap water.

Most reviews that I read say to run them a few times to get that taste out and used distilled or filtered water.

I got one of these from Woot last year and it died within 6 months. I liked it though. The ice did not have any odd flavors unless I wanted it to. Given the short life span, I probably won’t buy an Emerson version again.

Because Alaska isn’t part of America, of course. At least that’s the view of a huge number of retailers who depend on UPS/FedEx for delivery.

With the USPS, not so much.
It’s really very annoying, particularly when you consider that Anchorage is one of the world’s largest hubs for both.

Brr…so cold here. Had to wear a jacket this morning. High of 74F. (Problem bro?)

Proceed with on-topic-discussion.

is the electronics lab in the basement to aid you in your plans for galactic domination?.. :slight_smile: … I’d like to have an electronics lab…

Got mine new about 3 years ago. Different brand (Igloo) but same unit. Cheaper than having to repeatedly repair the POS icemaker in my big expensive refrigerator/freezer and much more convenient than buying bagged ice or using ice cube trays. I fill the reservoir with Brita-filtered water. THE best item I ever bought from Woot!

I know what you mean. It’s hard to decide whether to wear gloves or not when the temp drops below 80F.

So how many of these do you think I should get?