EMTEC Click USB 3.0 Flash Drives

I’m sure you are right. However, the copy software I use on my PC (Buffalo’s TurboCopy) provides the real-time write speeds as the copy takes place. The USB 3s are always in the +100 mbps category while the USB 2s tend to hang around 9-10 mbps. I am not sure whether my PC is a factor. It’s an older I-7 2600 at 3.4 MHz, 64 bit, machine with 16GB of RAM. Would that make a difference and, if so, why?

Hey gak0090 – thanks very much for THIS information. Exactly what was needed to avoid being ripped-off here. Sincerely appreciated!

No your PC is fine. I don’t know if the the Turbo copy caches differently based on the bus speed, or if your USB 3.0 drives happen to have decent memory chips and controllers. I just know that in my experience copying large movie files and such, that I have noticed significant variance between certain USB 3.0 drives- but this is all anecdotal on my part- that is why I included the link (previously) to the comparison article that did real benchmarking.

Note, however, that the only two reviews for that product/seller appear to use the word “fake” rather prominently.

Hey, someone was bound to ask. Might as well have been me.

Blasphemy! Just because the brand name says “other” does not mean this isn’t a quality drive. It even says “case made steel who protect your data inside”. The model name is even: 1TB. I’m thinking we need these for the next woot off.

Just received and tested this.

For future references:

A) To get USB 3.0 speed, need to format it for NTFS, not the default FAT32 or even exFat.

B) It doesn’t have sustained write speed of USB 3. Copying a video file of 8GB–started at 120MB/s, and in 5 seconds, dropped to 38MB/s for the remainder. A Team Extreme X131 128GB plugged in the same port using the same file, started out at 130MB/s, never went below 115MB/s.

Just got mine. Reformatted to exFAT and copied 100GB music file to one of the three I ordered in 59 minutes. This works out to a data transfer rate of appx. 215 Mbps. I am sure this was not a constant rate, but it is fast enough overall for me. This was a transfer from a USB 2, 256 GB Toshiba portable HDD using USB connection for power.

. I’ve sen these drives before, they effectively have been modified in their firmware to show some outrageous size but as you put data on them, as the space fills up, the oldest bytes are overwritten, so you CAN save your file to it, but only PART of the file will actually be there at the end of the transfer.

Got my USB drive this last Wednesday. Hot another one randomly today. Only ordered one. Not gonna complain too loud.

My 128GB turned out to only be a 32GB. Anyone else have this problem? Re-format did not help. I contacted Customer Support.