Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center

One of the key advantages of LED-based lighting is its high efficiency, as measured by its light output per unit power input. White LEDs quickly matched and overtook the efficiency of standard incandescent lighting systems. In 2002, Lumileds made five-watt LEDs available with a luminous efficacy of 18–22 lumens per watt [lm/W]. For comparison, a conventional 60–100 W incandescent lightbulb produces around 15 lm/W,

so another word…it’s approx 12 to 20 times more efficent than incandescent lights…

The last time I check…LEDs are the most energy efficent light emiting device (More efficent than fluorescent lights)

Under “law of conservation of energy”

Energy does not disappears
In most lighting device powered by electricity.

Electricity is converted to both HEAT and LIGHT

So TOTAL electricity input = HEAT output + LIGHT output

Base on that principle. Whichever device is coolest to touch is most energy efficient, that’s a no brainier and no need to see “energy-star” compliant logo to tell you that.

I am an engineer so I know… :wink:

because I’ve had an Energizer product (portable charger) before that wouldn’t work with rechargeable batteries.

“the one that plugs directly into an outlet” as per a nightlight.

This one doesnt, therefore not the same item. Im sure theres something if you googled on energizer recalls or similar.

I am tempted, not sure though, for the extra $5 I might get the bigger one from buy.com though.

Note that the included battery packs connect via wire, not standard contacts. So I’m thinking that, when you “flip the contact holder” (“Extended Use” section of manual, PDF link above), it disconnects the charging circuit.

So you should be able to use rechargeable AAA batteries, but you should not expect them to be recharged within this device.
(There may be a modification that could make it charge at least one type of rechargeable AAA battery, but it might not be cheap/easy/safe.)

I know; the buy.com one has me thinking too though I would have been happy with this one had I not known ;-).

I just wanted to say that you guys have an incredible community here at woot. The user produced content is just out of this world, and the interaction is just great! Kudos to everyone!

OK… One could easily find it on your own, but since you asked, I’ll google it for you “Energizer Wall Nightlight”:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09272.html

or

http://www.energizer.com/lightondemandrecall/USrecall.html

And no, it’s not this unit that woot is selling. I was commenting on the previous poster that wanted the unit that plugs into an outlet so he/she wouldn’t have to put holes into the wall.

And no, they recalled them all. It’s been pulled from the Energizer website. Full refunds are available.

***Welcome to the Energizer product recall site
On July 14, 2009, we announced a recall of the Light On Demand Wallplate Nightlight, sold under the Energizer brand.

The nightlight can overheat, especially if additional devices are plugged into its outlets, posing a fire hazard.

To date, Energizer has received no consumer complaints regarding this product, nor have we received any reports of injury or property damage associated with this product. Energizer is working cooperatively with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to recall this product.

To read our news release and CPSC’s announcement of the recall, click here.

We are committed to ensuring that every product that bears our name is of the highest quality, and we regret this inconvenience.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
If you own one of these nightlights, stop using it immediately and contact Energizer at (800) 782-2013 Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time

Energizer will provide you with a prepaid mailing label, which you can use to return your nightlight. Upon receipt of your nightlight, Energizer will mail you a refund in the amount of $30.00. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks to process the return and refund.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact Energizer at the number above.***

Crap. Got all excited thinking it was a Wiimote charger, but it’s just lights. Lame.

…isn’t all light ‘on demand?’

As they point out in the description, not sunlight. Nor moonlight for that matter.

Does anyone know about the rechargeable battery life on these things? I’ve had quite a few items with the “always on the base”-type charging system, and the original rechargeable batteries usually have a short lifespan (compared to standard rechargeables.)

In that same vein, does anyone know if it’s possible to find replacements for the rechargeable battery packs?

Colorado is really desperate for light …

We just had one of our rare non-sunny days (and coldest of the year so far), so it’s only natural that people are a bit concerned that sun burned out and we need artificial light.

The 4 light solution is better for the Christmas gifts I need to get. Thanks for that info and Woot for getting this thread going.

Wow, good find. However, for my purposes (small apartment), I think the twin set will do just fine. Besides, the dual flashlight is the coolest part of the thing, and it only comes with one of those either way. In for one.

The Light On Demand line from Energizer seems like a pretty bright idea (har har). The light sticks are interchangeable in the six currently available products, and can allegedly be purchased separately. The only question I have is brightness - it doesn’t sound like these things are going to brighten up the entire room, but for small areas, and especially for emergencies, they look really useful and versatile. It may be worth picking up the desk lamp or motion light if the twin set works well.

For more info on the LoD line, check out Energizer’s Light on Demand FAQ.

according to the manual, using rechargeable batteries, the area light will work for 5 continuous hours and the Flashlight will work for 10.

Hey, will this thing work plugged into and 220v outlet?

I cannot find that info!

Wow…not sure what to say here…

It’s not this unit that woot is selling.