Energy Take Classic 5pc Speaker System

Think I might get a set of these. Anyone know an affordable sub and/or receiver that would go well with this? I am a complete home theater noob.

edit: apparently they don’t like a word i used. poltergeist? O_O Anyway, I’m new to home theaters and I’m not looking to break the bank.

I bought these from Newegg about a year ago in a combo deal with this sub:

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-C10-10-Inch-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B001RPW6UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351697294&sr=8-1&keywords=esw-c10

They are all amazing sounding, but I found it difficult to find wall mounting hardware so be aware of that. I bought a universal pack from best buy that worked only after I bought longer screws then cut them to length.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Adjustable+Wall+Mount+for+Most+Speakers+(5-Pack)+-+Black/9933829.p?id=1218197750271&skuId=9933829&st=speaker%20mount&cp=1&lp=2

I got these a couple months back along with the Sherwood Reciever on TechWoot and picked up the Polk sub below on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA

Have it all set up in a 12’ x 15’ aparment living room and its perfect.

Thanks very much! Very helpful. I think I’ll get that sub and start working on receivers.

I bought these speakers for my surround sound in a fairly large room. I previously had lower-end JBL Northridge series and these sound far better. Tighter, more responsive and more immersive. I paired them with a Dayton Audio 10" subwoofer. Energy is owned by Klipsch and to me the responsiveness and sound of these speakers is indeed a bit Klipschy.

Great buy!

Thank you woot!

I have had a pair of these which I purchased probably 15 years ago. It was the 5.1 system with a smaller energy 8 inch 100 watt (i think) Sub. I think the price was somewhere between 400-500 at the time. I absolutely love them! I have had no issues with them. They are great for surround movies and for just listening to music. (They can pump music pretty loud if I want and the sound stays warm, full and clear) They are matched with what was at the time a solid quality sony receiver. If I recall correctly, it was one of the first receivers to have the dts optical input capability. (i could be mistaken) The whole set up still sits currently in my upstairs living room and sounds great!

I’ve been looking for a set up for my basement "theater’. I had actually been looking at these exact speakers on newegg. (and thought the 199 was a decent price) I have never been able to find a set of speakers that come close to the sound quality of these in the price range… When we bought a new tv recently at best buy, they tried to sell me a $600 sound bar and honestly (it may just be me) I didn’t think it compared to the quality of just the 2 speaker stereo sound of these speakers, with a sub picking up the lows of course.

Thank you woot! I can’t wait for them to arrive. I really hope they have the same quality as the originals I bought 15 years ago. If so, I highly recommend these speakers to anyone looking for decent surround sound that doesn’t empty their wallet.

Now I just need to order the sub to go with and find a receiver.

If you’re happy with it, I won’t knock it too bad… but it’s always a good idea to match the center with the mains (unless I read you wrong in which case these are your MLS / MRS / RLS / RRS / CR speakers). These of course are all matched nicely as a set, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use 2 as surrounds for a different system as they don’t get nearly as much use as the front 3 channels… but matching the center with the mains should be a must. Maybe you could try a phantom center so your mains both produce the “center channel” to get that timbre match.

I agree with most posts here in general. They’re nice speakers and have a nice sound to them.

The sub is a must, and I’d suggest being sure the sub you mate these with is capable of higher frequencies since you’ll cross higher than the THX recommended 80Hz. Cross to the sub around 120Hz, and you’ll have a good system if the sub can keep up with the speakers.

BIC wouldn’t be near the top of my recommendations (Energy subs mate well with their speakers, but I’d suggest hearing something from Rythmik if you’re able), but I’m biased since the last few subs I’ve had were DIY builds.

Can anyone tell me if these will be suitable for a room 14’X30’X8’? I am thinking of getting these for my basement HTS that I am just beginning to set up. These would start me off.