Epicurean 7-Bottle Preservation System for Wine and Champagne

your opinion would be wrong.

you are also wrong. A gas prolongs life significantly more than recorking in the fridge especially if you leave a large amount of air circulating.

1. Unless the vacuum is going to make the bottle collapse on itself there is still oxygen in there. Oxygen ruins wine.

2. One person suggested putting the bottle in your 'fridge. That idea works like a champ. So does micro-nuking it for 10 seconds after.

3. An inert gas like nitrogen works well too (I think that’s what it is - I have it and it works).

4. Lastly, here’s my most effective tip but the one I’m laughed at most for - Mason jars. I only drink one 8 oz. glass a day. Small mason jars are 8 oz each. A bottle of wine is about 24 ounces. Fill up the jars, put on the lids, and close 'em up! There’s no airspace as the jars are filled to the top. At room temperature they last about a week (as the seal’s not perfect).

tis a good suggestion that is readily used by many for wine preservation.

Agreed…some folks I know use splits (more respectable than mason jars, but nary the conversation item). Same concept.

Sorry, boy genius. Real life experience trumps psuedoscience (and I’m an engineer).

To those using N2 gas for wine bottles - how much do you pay for that? It always seems beyond reasonably expensive - even for wine freaks. You can get N2 gas cylinders for incredibly cheap (compared to those stupid wine N2 novelty crap things), and CO2 does basically the dame thing. Unless you’re going to store it for more than a week, just put it in the fridge and drink it in 2 days.

In summary, breathe on your wine.

j/k

not really

Wrong again, your engineering degree is no help. Whole lot of engineers out there and a whole lot of their knowledge has nothing to do with wine preservation or the mechanics behind it.

Should mention - no labrattage’ on this item.

Back at it again on Monday.

WD

How good is this deal?

Click the link above for more details (no CT links this time). Retail price used for calculations is the common price found online for comparable product offer – woot’s price is not only lower but also includes more stoppers than the typical base offer at most sites. Nice!

I have a question about this;

Does it automatically stop charging when the battery is fully charged? Meaning, I assume that it is stored in the base and left on all the time or do I have to unplug it to keep from ruining the battery?

I’ve heard that vaccuum sealers don’t displace all the oxygen and that nitrogen gas preservations don’t work either because the nitrogen is actually lighter than the oxygen. Does anyone have an opinion on argon gas based preservation?

It’s scary to me that no one noticed the bottom of the description where it says it has a 12-volt power adapter. For cars?

“Excuse me, officer, while I cork my wine.”

What a sorry excuse for never graduating college. Whole lot of jerks out there and a whole lot of their arrogance that has nothing to do other people’s knowledge.

I don’t need this, I either finsh the bottle or place in the fridge for a day or two.
I like the mason jar idea, thanks for mentioning that.

I’d rather just have wine at wine.woot

They can create wine-related-stuff.woot if they want for these items.

“First Sucker”… Ha! Anybody else see the irony here?

to go along with the mason jar comment, i used to have a half-size screwcap bottle of screw kappa napa that i kept around for the same thing. the second i opened a bottle of wine, i’d pour half in there as full as i could, tighten it up and throw it in the fridge. if i was patient the next day, and let it warm up naturally, most wines were amazing, and oftentimes, in my opinion, better!

i’m not sure how well something like this does or doesn’t work. i’m probalby too lazy to use it either way though, and would spend the extra time finishing the bottle.

I’ve read suggestions for using plastic water bottles for post-opening storage. The advantage over, say a mason jar, is that you can squeeze the plastic bottle. The idea is that you squeeze the bottle until the wine reaches the top, then screw the cap on. Very little air to react with the wine.

The same item (with fewer stoppers) is available on Amazon for $119.95
here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Epicurean-Presorvac-Combination-Champagne-Saver/dp/B000QXJZ20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1225982206&sr=8-1