Esbit 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Esbit 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set
Price: $19.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jun 13 to Tuesday, Jun 14) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Esbit 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Esbit 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Esbit - Google Shopping 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/24/2016 - $26.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)

5/16/2016 - $26.99 (Woot Plus)
4/25/2016 - $26.99 (Woot Plus)
4/25/2016 - $26.99 (Woot Plus)

Reviews over at Overstock

Nice price drop Woot!

This is, for me what I would consider an “aspirational” purchase. Someday I’d like to aspire to go camping in the mountains trekking my way in. I’d like to think I would hump this stove to my campsite to eat bacon with God on a shining moutaintop morning…but who am I kidding? It would probably end up on the shelf in the garage next to the sewing machine I bought from Woot because I aspired to make my own camp shirts. But thanks Woot, really, it’s always good to have dreams and goals.

Good news: "…Anodized materials have an extremely long life span. Anodized surfaces do not chip or peel. In fact, anodized aluminum is used to protect satellites from the harsh environment of space, to harden automotive racing parts against friction and heat, as well as for display cases, coolers, and grills for the food industry.

An anodized finish is chemically stable. It does not decompose. It is nontoxic. High heat levels will not damage the anodized finish. Anodized surfaces are heat-resistant to the melting point of aluminum (1,221°F).

Most important for cookware, hard-anodizing makes cookware surfaces so ultra-smooth that they become virtually nonporous (without pores). Pores in metal cookware are one of the leading reasons why foods stick while cooking.”…"

Source: Is Anodized Aluminum Cookware Safe Cookware?

I own one of these and have field tested it a few times. It is not the smallest or lightest stove on the market, but considering that it is both a stove and a 2-part cook kit, it’s a very nice design. Here are my positive points:

• Decent price. I paid the same price with shipping and that was a sale price.
  • Effective. It boiled 24 ounces of water with 3/4 oz. denatured alcohol. This was at 70 degrees ambient with 45 degree starting point for the water. No wind.
  • Stable. On a flat surface I would have no problem using this without feeling like it would tip over.
  • Handles! The rubber-covered swing-away handles are a blessing. I hate separate pot lifters.
  • 2 pots or one pot with a lid. Flexible.
  • Dual fuel. Though I would not use Esbit tabs, it’s nice to have that option.
  • Adjustable flame on the alcohol stove - enables simmering.
  • Boy Scout allowed. Home-made stoves are now prohibited in Scouts, but factory-made stoves are fine. This kit satisfies the regulations, and one of these per two Scouts would be perfect for a lightweight backpacking adventure.
  • The measurements on the side are stamped so you can read them from the inside.
  • Standard design stove lid that can store unused alcohol (though I tend to burn mine dry for storage).

Here’s what I am not so sure about:

• The coating isn’t non-stick so I don’t have to worry about scratching it, but I also don’t know what exactly it is, so that’s a concern. The coating is the same on the outside and the inside of the pots.
  • The Esbit tab shelf is dead weight if you never use it, but packing this up for transport sort of mandates that it be in there.

For boiling water for backpack camping, this is a very decent choice, especially for beginners. If you are an ultra-lightweighter, you will eschew the extra components, though.

too bad this isn’t the version of the kit with the standard flat top, the pan top is pretty useless if all you want to do is boil water.

edit: it also does not appear to have the heat exchanger on the bottom.

De-emphasized, but still not good, this stove appears to use proprietary fuel.

OK if your camping mode somehow requires it but not for us.

I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to replace my homemade stand for the Trangia stove in my backpack kit. This should work perfectly! I get a bonus back-up stove?! Sold!

Proprietary? The stove uses denatured alcohol or solid fuel (Esbit appears to be ubiquitous, but certainly not the only option for solid fuel).

Picked this up several weeks ago on Woot for $7 more. I was replacing a Trangia alcohol burner and compatible stand that had been destroyed as well as replacing come cooking gear. I have not actually cooked with this set yet, but I have boiled water for coffee. I thought it did the job fine, and I am looking at this as a replacement for both my pot, pan, and kettle. My GSI pots and pans came with one, removeable handle between 4 pieces. Maybe that’s weight efficient, but I only carried at most 2 pieces at a time, and the one memorable time when the handle escaped being packed, my pans became pretty useless. So I really appreciate the built in handles. I also appreciate being able to use two types of fuel. I haven’t tried the Esbit fuel yet, but I get the impression that it’s perhaps not as hot burning as the alcohol stove, which could be nice when doing actual cooking (as opposed to boiling water). I also really appreciate the handle on the lid of the Esbit alcohol burner (as opposed to Trangia). With my Trangia, extinguishing the flame was a game of ring toss, frequently with awkward attempts to retrieve the lid after a missed throw. The stand does not pack flat, like my old click-stand did, but it nests in the pot, so it doesn’t take up extra room. So far I’m very happy with this. I’m considering adding a minimalist alcohol stove stand to mix (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DKK7MA/) so I can boil water and cook with an Esbit tablet at the same time. Coffee and eggs at the same time! Oh, the luxury.

Anyhow, all of this to say that, if you’re interested, I think this thing is worth it. For this price, you’re only a couple of bucks higher than the cost of an alcohol burner alone. No stand, no pot, no ability to use Esbit tablets. Just a burner. This is an excellent deal. I may have just talked myself into picking another one up as a gift.

The one thing I could see a use for is a windscreen. The stand itself can be positioned to block some wind, but I am guessing that in more that a mild wind, a real screen would be helpful, but that’s not a knock on this set. Just one more, small piece of gear that might be helpful.

Yeah, as long as you don’t burn anything in it and don’t rub it with a scouring pad over and over, you won’t be eating any of that perfectly biologically safe chemically inert nontoxic stuff.

Has anyone compared this to a Jetboil? I have the 2 cup jetboil and use that for my backpacking but having an alternative is always nice (plus the little hard fuels here pack up a bit nicer than fuel cans)

Can you provide a link to the kit you are comparing this to?

The “pan top” is a second pot as well as a lid for the larger pot - and it is flat-bottomed (or topped, depending on how you use it), so it sets down well on flat surfaces like the large pot does.

I am highly opinionated, so take that into account with this response.

This system does not compete with JetBoil - it isn’t in the same league, and won’t attract the same audience.

JetBoil is sleek, technologically advanced, and somewhat expensive - both to buy and to use.

Sort of like Apple products. Nobody can call you out for buying garbage when you own them. Form leads (and in many cases creates) function.

Simple alcohol stoves like this one are function over form. They aren’t tech marvels. They heat stuff well in many environments (not all). They cost EXTREMELY little to buy and operate. They can be VERY lightweight. They have very few parts to clog or break (or lose).

The one innovative benefit that this stove possess is that it is dual-fuel. That can be important for “plan B” (in case your alcohol bottle leaks or you run out) and for really cold temps where alcohol can be much less than effective. Having Esbit tabs on hand as backups to alcohol is a BIG plus if the stove is designed (like this one) to use them both.

Thanks. I’m pretty unbiased and am willing to give up some features for other positive trade-offs. My problem was that this looked to be very similar in weight to my jetboil, so the only benefit I could see was the solid tabs.

In any case, its sold out now, so who cares!