Espressione Caffe Novecento Espresso/Cappuccino Machine

This would be a perfect addition to the look of any steampunk kitchen.

Just as good? You do realize coffee and espresso are not the same drink. True, they can come from the same source, but go down very different roads.

Canā€™t speak for this machine, the styling emulates much more expensive machines (Isomac, for one). Be sure to grind the coffee VERY fine (almost like silt) or the brew will be total swill. It might take some practice.

I would actually recommend a LaPovni over this offering:

http://www.espressoelements.com.au/equipment/domestic/la-pavoni/

You donā€™t need an expensive burr grinder. You can buy espresso ground coffee or grind your own at the store using their burr grinder. Just make sure to set the grind to ā€œespresso.ā€ Buy small amounts or be ready to drink a lot of espresso because coffee goes bad in less than two weeks. Donā€™t store in the freezer! ā€¦your coffee or the machine.

I agreeā€¦ I had 12 yrs professional experience five years before any of the chain coffee shops sprung up and destroyed the true meaning of espressoā€¦

How does this compare to the breville machines that have been offered here previously?

This guide has a great explanation of the different types of portafilters available.

Any chance this thing will last if used in a small coffee shop? I really have no idea what the differences are.

Two problems there: one, the La Pavoni is WAYYY more expensive than this one and two, itā€™s a lever-style machine and difficult to master. Most folks will prefer a semi-automatic or even a superautomatic.

You guys are serious about your coffee huh? Too much for my blood.

No, you donā€™t need an expensive grinder, you could buy a sub-$100 hand grinder that works just fine for a bit of effort. But pre-ground and pre-grinding are awful ways to treat your coffee. Ground coffee lasts about 15-20 minutes before noticeably losing flavor. When it comes to espresso, you canā€™t afford that loss. Think of coffee like bananas. They are prime for about a week after picking (roasting, in our case), usable for a few more days after that, and beyond itā€™s banana bread (compost is more likely in coffeeā€™s case). Using the same analogy, how long are your bananas going to be appetizing if you chop them up and stuff them in a bag?

As to the machine, for the price range you could do much better. Gaggia (Saeco, too), Leā€™lit, Ascaso are all brands that have entry-level machines with greater reliability and support than the Espressione. Or, for less, you could do what I did and buy a Hamilton Beach 40729 for ~$70, and add a temperature controller and chopped brass portafilter for an additional $120. :wink:

I would still recommend it over thisā€¦ I got mine for $5.00 in a thrift store!! woot! Also, donā€™t you think anyone shelling out $250 for a espresso machine would want to invest the time to learn how to use it anyway?

Nope. For this price, you can get a very good used Pavoni Europiccola machine. Thereā€™s no comparison.

No, youā€™d kill this machine in a small shop. Commercial machines are expensive, but theyā€™re usually built like tanks.

Iā€™m afraid this will not hold up in any coffee shop. These things are not meant to mass produce at all. The processes are slower, and the results are inferior.

So would I, but then, a LaPovni will also cost 3-6 times as muchā€¦

You got a steal! They obviously didnā€™t know what they had. And I agree with you, but most folks want to do it simple, and a La Pavoni has a learning curve that will frustrate many.

Personally, Iā€™d recommend a used semi-auto Rancilio or Gaggia, both of which still require skill to use correctly (esp. the Rancilio).

Breville machines are generally regarded as junk in the home espresso enthusiast world. The problem is that they make other appliances too, which means they likely donā€™t focus enough on the particulars of their espresso machines to produce a quality machine. The best espresso machines are made by manufacturers specializing in just that. Just as I wouldnā€™t buy a car made by Kenmore, I wouldnā€™t buy an espresso machine made by a general appliance manufacturer (again, that is).

Wellā€¦thereā€™s no doubt itā€™s a male.

No. Consider one of these for commercial use: http://www.lamarzocco.com/