Eton American Red Cross Solarlink Radio

I am in for 1 as a christmas gift. If it works during just one black out, I will be satisfied.

Can I charge my iPhone with this? And if I got this as a gift for my mom, could she charge her Blackberry? I’m seeing the USB port so I’m thinking charging the iPhone might be possible but not sure about the Blackberry. Thanks!

And what about other smart phones? Will it work for a Blackberry or Galaxy?

Just to clear things up. We have never sold this model before.

The $35 one some of you are referring to was the PT300.

It should, as you can plug any regular usb cable into it, regardless of the plug on the other end.

That’s not necessarily the case. I have the FR500 which is great for charging my LG ENV3 dumbphone but it won’t charge a Galaxy.

I really want to like this unit and while we already have a different model in our house I would like to buy a couple of these for our kids - especially at this price.

Acknowledging Amazon’s reviews are really variable in quality, when 1-star reviews rise above 20% of the total review count I get real cynical. I this case 31% of the reviews are 1-star.

Bought these last year as gifts for all my friends here in tornado alley without a radio. My dad gave me my own a few months later. No, not the sturdiest, but great for home use. For camping or other big usage, find something sturdier

I have one of these (received as a gift) and it proved very handy during hurricane Sandy when the power was out for a week. The solar power panel worked well—I didn’t have to change the batteries with a week’s worth of use. I can’t get it to charge phones though although it says it can through the usb. It didn’t come with any instructions, and of course without electricity, I couldn’t look it up online.

Looks like I’m stuck with a couple of these. Tried to cancel my order but no go. I might be able to refuse the shipment if I can catch the delivery person (and if Woot emails me a tracking number for my order – half the time they don’t).

I suspect that no attempts to cancel orders on these radios will be honored, simply because Amazon wants to get rid of these things and they know that once you receive the items, you probably won’t bother to return them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought 3, if they do not work as intended I will configure them in a T-Pee formation and light them on #fire

I own this radio. I wish I could go back in time and warn my younger self away from the purchase. I bought it at full price, which is even more of an insult.

Yeah, it works. Just make sure you keep a massive pile of batteries nearby in case you ever need to use it. The thing has this great feture where it comes on if there’s a weather event in your vicinity. Sounds great until you realize that in order to make it work, you have to change the batteries every 2 days even if you never turn the radio on to play music. Yes, the automatic weather alert service uses up batteries that fast even when it’s silent. I wouldn’t expect it to somehow work on no battery power at all but really, 2 days is all you get when you let is sit silently on a shelf.

If your idea is to keep this radio on so it can alert your family automatically in an emergency, you’ll need to buy an AC adapter and keep it plugged up.

As it stands now, I use a weather app on my cell phone so I know to go put batteries in the weather radio that night. That is a big FAIL in my book.

Thanks for the update on the AC adapter…that was my only concern! I’m in for 3!
SoonerSue

Before I bought the AC adapter, I just kept the radio in a sunny window and never had a problem with it dying after 2 days or not alerting us (I have never put extra batteries in it). I only bought the AC adapter because I wanted to move it to another area of the house without a window.

At this price (1/3 of what I paid for mine!) I just bought 2 to give as gifts.

{{soapbox}} This may or may not be the NOAA radio for you, but if you are reading this and do not have a NOAA radio please consider buying one - there are other brands/styles if this one is not the right one for you! It could save your life and the lives of your loved ones in an emergency! I work in Public Health/Emergency Management … I’ll step down now {{/soapbox}}

i think an antenna is a very easy fix. even with a coat hanger and some tape.

Kudos to Woot! - was delivered by USPS TODAY - two days after ordering, which was placed on Thanksgiving??? Holy schnikes!!!

So far, I am happy. I have a small lantern style hand crank (or AA) light/radio. I have had it for 10+ years and love it. It is, unfortunately, falling apart from all of the love I have given it over the years. The battery is a non-replaceable and will only hold about 20 minutes of light power now…on low.

This has worked all day playing the radio on very little cranking. It feels sturdy and is smaller than expected. The antenna is tight and stiff and I was careful not to pull too hard to raise it.

I will probably buy an extra battery for it right away…just in case. If it last as long as my other lantern style one, I will eventually need it.

I love the fact that it has so many ways to power it.

Anyone else having issues with this? The light and clock work for fine me, but the radio just won’t turn on (either on battery or hand-crank power). No static (yes I’ve messed with the volume), no red LED that is supposed to light up when it’s on. Just nothing… it’s like the “Power” button just doesn’t work.

No luck getting through to Eton so far, but maybe someone here has some insight in case I’m just missing something obvious.

Send a nice lil note to support@woot.com - perhaps they can “get through” if you know what I mean. :slight_smile: And if not, they’ll know what needs to be done next.

I bought one of these a few days back and the volume button doesnt work. I cant hear anything. If you press realy hard on the volume button the sound comes out. But the minute you let go, the sound goes away.