EVO Indoor Cycles

Has anyone heard anything about these bikes-- I’ve researched it and it seems: 1) the company is out of business or going, so the warranty is questionable, 2) it’s got a plastic gear for resistance, 3) the pedals are far apart, 4) the sway could be good or indifferent, and 5) shouldn’t it be less? I haven’t found someone who is using it, particularly a gym, and says that it is great.

I was on the fence, despite all these issues, as long as it simulates a real bike swaying, either on a sprint or climbing. Then I got to test one of them, and it does not feel like a real bike at all. It just feels like trying get on a pogo stick, where if you put pressure on one pedal, the bike want to tip over in that direction.

I found a dealer that liquidated their inventory of evos at under $800. They’re sold out. They said that it was a good bike but didn’t sell-- it feels more like a road bike (not a front fly wheel) than a spin bike, so would be more similar to putting your bike on a trainer. The advantage to a trainer is 1) taking wear off your bike, 2) being able to change resistance, 3) no set up, 4) computer. Compared with a spin bike, it’s personal preference what feel you prefer. The problem is you can get a new spin bike for less and slightly used for a lot less. The evo has the gimmick & warranty concerns. Any more thoughts?

If you put your road bike on rollers, the gyroscopic effect of the wheels is what’s keeping you upright. But on this unit, the flywheel does not generate enough of that effect, so as soon as you get off the saddle to put some weight on the pedal, it feels like you will tip over that direction. On a road bike, you normally counter the pedal force by shifting the bike in the opposite side. If you try to do that on this bike, it is impossible because you are already falling over to the side you applied the pedal force. The sensation is very weird, I am fighting it trying to get into a natural climbing rhythm, but never could.

Plus, its seating/handlebar position is designed more as an upright exercise bike. If you lower the handlebar, it will come way too close to your legs, forcing you to extend the bar all the way to the front, but with its flimsy handlebar forward adjustment rail, you end up with a wobbly handlebar. And after all that, it was still too upright.

I thought this was the answer to what I have always been complaining about spin bikes, but it is not to be. Realryder has a tilt feature, but it is for steering instead of out of the saddle riding (and who can afford that).