Extech AC Circuit Load Tester

**Item: **Extech AC Circuit Load Tester
Price: $97.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Extech AC Circuit Load Tester)

[Search Google](Google AC Circuit Load Tester)

Let’s check out the product page

Let’s watch a video [youtube=f7HtNWIDY58][/youtube]

This can measure voltage, and changes in voltage, and apply one of three loads, but it can’t tell you what the load is on the circuit before or after you apply a load!

You need an Amprobe or equivalent device for that, usually with a hinged inductive coil, and it needs to be closed over the wire near where it is attached to the circuit breaker, not just at one outlet on that circuit.

This device is useful, but not for what people might think.

might get a little warm in the hand while checking that 20 amp load. would be a short test, for sure.

He could have saved $100 on testing the GFIC by sticking a spoon into that toaster. :slight_smile:

Great price for this kind of tester. It’s really worth it to check out the job done by electricians…but read the instructions.

Wouldn’t one of those P3 Kill a Watt things do the same thing?

A P3 measures who much a device draws from the outlet (both in Amps and Watts) this device will tell you the current (and delta) voltages (which a P3 also does) but it also can test GFCI and also place a set load on the circuit. If you needed to make sure your 20amp circuit could in fact handle that load this is the device you need, on a loaded circuit you could also test your breakers by drawing over their rated capacity (which you would have to be very careful doing as to not light something on fire…)

I think the average home owner would be happier with a P3, since its the far more likely scenario that you have a device that you want to see how much power it draws, than wanting to see if a load will trip the breaker.

All those do is calculate power usage. This also will tell you if your circuit is wired correctly (e.g., crossed neutral and hot, no ground) and will test GFCI circuits.

I have a simple device that has lights on it to indicate whether a circuit is wired correctly. However, it did not work on a GFCI circuit I have, so I’d have to get another device to test that circuit. This seems to allow one to do both.

Curious, did anybody else notice that model number and remember fondly, the following?

This is a tempting device - it wouldn’t have been at over $150 but at $103 shipped, potentially + sales tax it looks more interesting. The margin must be tight - I wonder why it wasn’t priced $3-4 lower to keep it under $100?

Following is the Amazon-3rd party-sold page with a single review describing a smart & creative use for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-CT70-Circuit-Load-Tester/dp/B0058ELNFY

Seems like this instrument would also be handy for showing your neighbor why it isn’t a good idea to run his/her fridge at the end of a couple 100 foot extension cords connected to your generator!

Does anybody have experience with this particular tool… or with Extech product reliability?

Other than the mention above that this won’t measure existing current draw on a circuit, is there a better choice for doing this kind of testing? A single tool that does this testing + has a current-measuring clamp?

After having an eletrical fire in my home just a couple weeks ago, and watching the video for this product, hell yeah I’m in for one.

Woot features tab appears to have a typo:

“Selectable loads of 2, 15, and 20 Amps”

The manufacturer page shows the “2” as “12”. That did seem like an out of place value in the woot specs.

The next model up, CT80, adds AFCI testing capability. But since it appears to sell @ the MSRP of $299 on Amazon, that would be a mighty price premium vs this CT70 @ $103!

Perhaps Extech is dumping the CT70 since the production cost difference between the models must be near zero.

Good catch. I’ll send that in for fixin’. Thanks!
Edit: And fixed.

OK - may I ask y’all who know better than me about these things if I’m understanding this right: will/does this gizmo tell me if there’s too many things plugged into a circuit (i.e, the one that it’s plugged in to test)?? Or to put it another way - can it tell me if there’s room to plug in one more thing on that circuit, etc.?? Yes - I looked at the video and can look up all the terms used, but am hoping a quick question will bring a simple answer for my simple little mind ;D - Thanks in advance!

No, it will not do that. As previously stated, you need to measure the current at the circuit breaker to find the actual load on that circuit.