eXtEnD ur $iGnaL wif RoUtErS & eXtEnDeRs!

Something interesting for the more tech-savvy of wooters: Two of these devices, the TL-MR3220 and TL-WR842ND (the two wireless-N routers) are supported in OpenWRT, making the possibilities for using them much larger. You get a cool little ARM box with a USB port that runs Linux, you can do a whole lot of things.

I bought the extender, but forgot to change the shipping address. As a result …

I will no longer be purchasing from any Woot site other than Wine.Woot until they change their shipping/cancel policy. And most especially for any non-wine item. :frowning:

This is unacceptable, in any shape or form. Especially as a long time Wooter. This is no longer my Woot.

Especially since it is their bug, which still hasn’t been fixed, that has caused such problems that I had to continually change the default shipping address.

The items haven’t shipped yet, but they won’t change it. Nor cancel it (which I think they have to do if I cancel the order via my CC).

Thanks Woot for losing a long time customer with your shenanigans.

OK, I am entering the dumb question category of play. I am looking at getting a wireless router for my parents. They live in the middle of nowhere with dialup. They will connect the desktop and use wireless for a tablet. Are any of these a good choice? I need super easy to set up and reliable. I am tech support from 1800 miles away.

On the TL-WPA271KIT does it act as a full AP or is it just a repeater. Only wifi I use is for my phone and ps3 and have been having problems keeping the ps3 connected even though I’ve gone to the trouble of setting it up properly and it gets plenty good signal. So I’m hoping to use powerline to connect to my ps3 and just wondering if I need a wireless router as well for my phones or if it will do both.

FBI surveillance

Hi Robert,

So in this type of configuration, do you have to plug in the device (printer, tv, Blue Ray, etc.) directly into the wall socket without any powerline filter or the like? For many of use that have multiple devices, this may not be feasible. If that’s the case, what would you recommend to extend a router signal?

Can you use multiple of those powerline kits for different areas? Will there be any conflict?
Thank you.

I purchased the Powerline Extender earlier this year and it works great. It was very easy to set up (basically, plug and play) and now my home office computer has a good fast signal just like the room on the other side of the house where our home computer resides.

The only complaint I have is that it’s too big. It doesn’t share space so my two-plug outlet is now a solo. Oh, and you can’t plug it into a power strip, either.

All in all, I’m happy with it. It really does what I needed it to do.

Wait a minute. I’m confused.

The TL-WR842ND is capable of 300Mbps wireless speeds, but it only has 100Mbps ports. What is the point of that?

You’d have to be pulling from at least 3 different WAN and LAN hosts or a USB drive to get anywhere close to 300Mbps.

The lack of gigabit ports seems like an odd oversight.

It is great that OpenWrt supports it though. I’ve been looking for an upgrade from my G router.

How about dd-wrt?

And I’m so disgusted with their need to make extra money that they no longer price items at a discount. So I to declared yesterday that with the exception of a few specific items on wine.woot, that I will not be buying from woot anymore. And that was after spending a small fortune just this past week. It’s sad. They should change their name from woot, because it’s not woot anymore, it’s Amazon 2.0.

I’ve been wanting to buy a powerline kit for quite a while. Same model is $75 on newegg. Will be purchasing tonight. :slight_smile:

If anyone’s unfamiliar with the powerline technology, check this out.
[youtube=Sue1Zvmh8JA][/youtube]

I’m just impressed that there’s a (very) active manufacturer rep on this board. I don’t need any networking equipment right now but would definitely consider the brand in the future if this is representative of their customer service.

PoliceVan, or {cityName}PD

Wapdance.

Our network is called BigPapaPump

Howdy Robert! Can any of these products function as a wireless bridge? As in, pick up a wifi signal and share that via an ethernet port to a connected device? I have a couple of servers that can’t accept a wifi connection and I need to connect them to a wifi network.

Edit: the powerline extender won’t work, the wifi network I’m trying to connect to is coming from next door.

Thanks!

Better deal (free shipping) at J&R

http://www.jr.com/tplink/pe/TPL_TLWPA271KIT/

To: Robert
Re: A further Question about the TL-WPA271KIT 150Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender

I currently have a netgear powerline set, so I get the idea that you plug one end into your router, say in the basement, and then into a wall power socket, and then the second unit into a power socket upstairs and VOILA, it’s like hardwired ethernet.

SO…

How the devil does your kit know what your WIRELESS LAN is? Does the second end act as its own little WiFi router with its own name? Is it firewalled?

Also: Does the second end also have an ethernet port for a hardwired connection?

Also also (very important): Will it work with other brands of powerline equipment?

Sincerely, Robert

hal9000

I’m afraid I can’t do that.