Extended Life LED Portable Worklight

For me, the key here is adequate light without all the heat given off by halogen work lamps. That heat makes them sometimes just not possible to use, plus the skin burn risk.

PS - and a 3 year warranty for this LED unit; those halogen bulbs fail at the slightest vibration, and are expensive.

That’s a great point, and the reason I’m considering this. For the past few years, when working on my car, I’ve been using a 40-watt equivalent LED bulb, which - IIRC - is something like 300~400 lumens

Are replacement LEDs available? Regardless of the hour life claim of LEDs, I have had plenty LED fixtures burn out well in advance of their typical hour life numbers.

This is only a 120v.

Sure. Lumens is a measure of total Light Power. Foot Candle is the measure of actual light at the spot desired. When using Halogens, HID, etc, part of the Lumens measurement is in the heat lost in the fixture, heat, and unfocused angles. LED lumens have much less loss in the fixture, heat or unfocused angles. They do not produce nearly as much heat, and are directional. This allows the foot candles to reach farther with 60-90% less Watt (and Lumens). There are many articles on the web that you can look up for more education on the matter. I hope this helps.

Lumens is a measure of total Light Power. Foot Candle is the measure of actual light at the spot desired. When using Halogens, HID, etc, part of the Lumens measurement is in the heat lost in the fixture, heat, and unfocused angles. LED lumens have much less loss in the fixture, heat or unfocused angles. They do not produce nearly as much heat, and are directional. This allows the foot candles to reach farther with 60-90% less Watt (and Lumens). There are many articles on the web that you can look up for more education on the matter. I hope this helps.

Lumens is a measure of total Light Power. Foot Candle is the measure of actual light at the spot desired. When using Halogens, HID, etc, part of the Lumens measurement is in the heat lost in the fixture, heat, and unfocused angles. LED lumens have much less loss in the fixture, heat or unfocused angles. They do not produce nearly as much heat, and are directional. This allows the foot candles to reach farther with 60-90% less Watt (and Lumens). There are many articles on the web that you can look up for more education on the matter. I hope this helps.

Here are a couple of educational articles for those of you who are interested in how to compare LED lighting vs other lighting. This will include the explanation of why less lumens from LED lights can be equal to other forms of lighting with more lumens.

http://cireon.com/pdf/Source_Lumens_vs_Delivered_Lumens.pdf

http://www.ledlightingexplained.com/led-lighting-myths/

Kudos to EnergeticBob for responding to childish schoolyard chants and snarky comments with a solid response and resources to back it up. Some of the other others in this community should consider doing the same or stowing it.

So, What kind of heat do these put off compared to a 500 watt halogen?

Very little heat. I have a halogen that you can bake with - it is that hot. The LEDs convert much more of their energy to light and not as much as heat. This does not look to be a bad deal. I am thinking of snagging one - it would be great for working on PC innards.

You got that right. A bunch of internet, instant geniuses that graduated from Google or Wikipedia University. Talk about your “B.S.” degree in B.S.

I’m in for two. I’ve used a few Halogen lights of the same style and they are super hot. If you’ve ever worked on your car and accidentally touched a working halogen lamp you know what I mean. Instant blister. I really like the idea of an LED work lamp. I recently had my halogen lamp’s bulb blow out. Replacement was about 13 bucks so this is a great idea.

There’s also a difference between lumens and ANSI lumens. The cheap no-name LED flashlights you get for $5 or less typically use inflated lumens. Kinda like the cheap car stereos that advertise 2000 watts but sound like crap next to a decent 40 watt stereo.

Having a BS, having a graduate degreee, and having worked at a university for years, I absolutely concur with your statement. The next progression being a M.S., and the last more acurately translates to “Piled high & Deep.”

However, it is correct that when we were designing lighting for work spaces, we always used footcandles AT the desk or bench. Developing a standardized measurement for advertising specs is difficult; one example might be to say footcandles and angle of coverage at a given distance. And, good luck getting that across the industry.

Couple commments, I see 150W and 300W worklights about as often as 500W worklights, at least at the home user level. These LED lights keep up very well with the 150-300W lights. the 500W lights are still brighter, but hotter than blazes and fragile. I keep a couple around because they are dirt cheap and occasionally I need lots of light. But for normal use, the LED versions win hands down.

I can’t seem to find the dimensions in the product information. Anyone know the size of this light?

I thought heat was not a part of lumens but was a part of “wasted energy”.

Here is a link to the dimensions.

http://energeticlighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?prodid=1398