Extra Fuel Emergency Fuel Solution

It does look that way. Pretty nasty stuff but technically still considered “biodegradable.” I guess it might be better than nothing if really stranded, but still seems rather pricey and with some potentially serious drawbacks. Pennzoil discontinued it for a reason.

Gee WIZZ, let me read off the description of productn. 91 Octane

It doesn’t look like anyone here was under that impression.

His point is valid: You should feel just as safe (or uneasy) driving around with a half gallon of this stuff in hot locations as you would carrying a half gallon of rubbing alcohol in any other climate.

How the hell am I finally reading about this product? I have been driving for at least a decade now and this is the first time to even see that such a product exists.

Even if you reach the flashpoint temperature, you’d still need a “flash” to cause ignition. If the chemical is kept inside a sealed container, no spark can reach it so you’re safe. Think about wax. It has to reach a certain temperature to liquify to fuel a wick (or whatever). But if the wax is kept inside a sealed container, you can melt the wax with external heat but it won’t ignite.

According to the manufacturer, the major difference is that this has no flammable vapors while gasoline and rubbing alcohol do. There have been reports of explosions at gas stations caused by electronic sparks from a cellphone, or even static electricity. Gasoline vapors apparently filled the air, making the air itself flammable. It should no happen with this product — if the claims are true.

Wassup with the “sigh”? I’ve taught medical physics and can tell you that that attitude is not only obnoxious but it also discourages learning. Seriously, was it really so hard to leave out those six characters? Or were they somehow crucial to the science or your message? Think about it.

Yep. Almost as obnoxious as Nick Burns http://vimeo.com/24762773

If one buys this to keep in their trunk, seems to make sense to open up these two 1/2 gallons and just pour them into one plastic gas can that has a spout on it (better then messing around with their cardboard one that’s included and having two bottles taking up space in your trunk).

Even better to keep at least an 1/8 of a tank of real gas in your vehicle fuel tank at all times. :wink:

Dat true… :slight_smile:

Except if you had read the earlier posts, including DarkZrobe’s point to the manufacturers FAQ:

"extraFuel develops less pressure than a container of orange juice when exposed to high temperatures. The vapors are not explosive. The only way it would catch fire, would be when raised to a temperature above its flash point and if the fuel were exposed to a spark or a flame. However, ExtraFuel is packaged in a bottle where the mouth of the container is heat sealed with foil seal, protected by a child safety cap. That makes it difficult for a spark or flame to get near the liquid. This product is not flammable. "

Even though you’re at a temperature where the product could burn, it still won’t result in an explosive reaction like gasoline vapors.

This seems like a joke…Why on earth would anyone want this compared to a normal container of gasoline?
Are chemical stability concerns worth 10x the price of gas?

It’s not meant for longterm use. It’s meant only to sustain you until you reach a gas station, i.e. less than 30 mins. Your engine should be fine.

OK, so what I learned here is that I can keep a gallon of orange juice in my trunk without fear of it blowing up my car. I will sleep better now knowing that I will not leave the house on my way to work and find a pile of ashes where my car used to be, and also have the security of knowing when I forget to order a drink with my breakfast at the drive thru window, I will have a gallon of orange juice in my trunk.

Any kind of fancy science mumbo jumbo will not sway me. How can a substance not be flammable work as fuel in an internal combustion engine?

1 Like

You would think that as long as fossil fuel powered vehicles have been around, someone would have come up with some type of indicator or system to tell you when you are running low on fuel thus eliminating the need for $33.00 per gallon fuel.

It’s simple, always fill up exactly one mile before the tank is empty. Just like determining the proper torque for a bolt, always 1/2 turn before it snaps.

Not sure where you got your information from, but low octane fuel will NOT damage turbos.

Bakedbean did not say the turbo would be damaged. Many turbo equipped cars need high octane fuel to avoid pre-detonation or “knock”. Knock can damage engines, so Bakedbean is correct as well as tasty.