eZip Trailz eBike (2 Style Options)

If you don’t need to ride the equivalent (after pedaling is factored in) of more than about 10 miles at a time, then discharging the batteries less and following the other life-extending techniques I mentioned earlier (like always recharging immediately after use), you should get more than 200 cycles from a non-defective battery pack. The most common figure quoted for SLAs is about 300 cycles. I assume that the 200 figure is based on not abusing the pack but still using 80-90% of it each time. SLAs don’t like to be discharged more than 75%, and 60% is even better. Just not using the motor when it isn’t needed - like when coasting or going down a grade or hill - will both extend the range and reduce the amount of charge you use per trip.

You can get a lithium phosphate battery and go about 20 miles!

I have two of these bike and they are heavy, but they work. I took my bike to work last year. Took me about an hour to get to work. I charge the battery once I get to work and when it’s done charging (about 7-8 hrs), I go home.

It’s made in China (what’s not these days :).

Amazon had these a few years ago for $200 once. Missed that deal.

Can I use this bike to jump start my Chevy Volt?

Absolutely Not. The Volt can’t handle that much power.

I foresee a lot of these used to hang clothes on if stored in the house or collecting dust in the garage. Sorry, but you’ll use less effort riding a non-motorized decent bike. What you’re buying here is hope, not a decent bike.

So, this is an electric moped, basically. An emoped. For the depressed kid too lazy to cut himself.

I had an Ezip, and they are a decent entry level electric bike.
I found max speed to be about 16 MPH with my 130 LBS. It zips right up to 16 MPH quickly, good torque. The range is exaggerated, I got 10-14 miles when the battery was new. This is an electric assist BIKE
not a moped, and is fun and great for commuting short distances. You can pedal all you want, add energy just for help on the hills and to get up to speed, and you could extend range and get a few more miles out of it. I ride my Ebike daily and no one even notices that my bike is electric on the multi use bike path .It is more quiet than a moped and does not spew smoke.
On the con side the bike is heavy and so is the battery, you need a handy person around to fix it if a wire comes loose which will likely happen with all the abuse a bike takes.

More likely than not, China. Most low end bikes are made in China. Higher end stuff is made in Taiwan.

It’s a start.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can extend the range by strapping a solar panel to my back?

Yes, but not without effort.

Heavy, yes. Without using electric power, it will give you a workout.

The SLA batteries can be easily replaced at Batteries Plus for less than $100. They’ll even open up the case and solder the connections for you.

Mine sat for a while and stopped working. Support was very helpful, shipping a new control box at no charge (except shipping).

Slightly off topic, but since we have bike users here: What is a good bike (non-electric) for a retirement age 6’2" person who weighs around 240 pounds and lives on rural (unpaved) hilly roads??

I know, it’s called a CAR, right? But seriously, what’s a good choice? And are there eelctric assisted bikes for that person as well?

I was on that Amazon deal maybe 3 years ago so I will chime in on the eZip:

Pro:
All-in-one multipurpose ebike that works
Relatively affordable
Solid construction
Currie imported a lot of these, thus spare parts galore

Cons:
Heavy as hell (~75lbs, so not going to work for most train commutes or if you’re not strong)
SLA battery requires extra care (don’t discharge it below 50%, charge it up right away after use, etc)
Not the fastest
Battery support rack may break/fatigue from use

I did modify one of my Ezip to accept 36v and changed the freewheel to get it up to 27mph with heavy pedaling. Then it goes stolen in NYC but that’s another story.

TL;DR
Buy if you are low on cash and want to try an ebike and dont mind spending $ upgrading it. Avoid if you need premium transport and want a perfect ebike.

So basically, it’s a two wheeled rascal? A lazy person’s bicycle?

Agreed, this bicycle will make you fat and lazy. Get a real bike, human power!

I’ve had one of these bikes for just over a month now. I bought it through wayfair.com for $430. It arrived in perfect condition. I live in south Florida and take it for a ride almost every day. I absolutely love it. I’m able to get some exercise by pedaling just a little harder than the motor propulsion. When my legs tire, I just keep on going by power and then pedal again when my legs have had a few minutes rest. Though heavy, the weight is unnoticable while underway. I highly recommend it.

John, you need to look at a serious mountain bike, especially the 29 inch variety as they are extremely robust and have great tires for unpaved roads. I wouldn’t worry about a full suspension, but disc brakes would be a serious advantage for you. You can also change the tires to make it more of a paved road bike if you want at some point or a combo tire. I found a good smooth-center, lugged edge tire when I was riding the hilly gravel roads here in NE Iowa. BTW I’m 61, 6’ and 230lbs----I share your pain(and mass).

Price rollback. Now $399 from Walmart.

I have this bike and love it. I’ve actually been able to get out and exercise because of it. It has been awesome to ride to school and since I live surrounded by steep, hilly roads, the assist made it so much easier to get over the initial fear of not being able to make it. I’ve had mine for 3 months now and have gone from 218 to 185 without changing anything else. Its been a definite boost for what little self esteem I have left :stuck_out_tongue:

On the con side, it is VERY heavy and I felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again. With the weight distribution of the battery, your center of gravity feels a bit odd at best but you get over that fairly easily.

Here’s a New York Times article from 2009 on the e-bike ban and how little it is enforced Despite Ban, Electric Bikes Gain Favor on City Streets - The New York Times

The article also mentions an amendment that might be passed to allow e-bikes on streets that have a top speed of 20 mph and < 1000 watts. It looks like this bill keeps coming up and dying in the senate. Maybe someone else has more info for the New Yorkers?