Fagor Michelle B 14pc Cookware Set

I have been thinking of getting away from that PFTE - Polytetrafluoroethylene completely.

I have a strong suspicion that may be a key factor in health issues I have been witnessing in my family and through other sources. I would like to get away from it to see for myself.
This set really looks wonderful though. :O( I mean, i cook every single day in my home for a large family and have cooked nearly everyday of my life since I was 14 and have never ever owned a set of of cookware I truly adore.

No Matter how careful I have been no non stick surface I have ever used really lasted and this companies “1 year warranty” claim is not helping my decision. in the woot description I see it says “FORDGED” and in other descriptions elsewhere on the net i see it says anodized aluminum. I have heavy anodized now and it seemed like the best ever wen I first got it, It was guaranteed from cost co, I took my first set back in less than one year for a replacement but now the set has been discontinued for a smaller build set of the same materials, ( made in Italy ) the set seems awesome, but peels ( Into the food) slowly as time goes by. even when strictly using all plastic and wood spatulas and spoons and utensils there is no way to protect this coating enough to make it last.

I am suspecting connections with health problems but It has been such a long time it is difficult to tell. I was thinking getting away from it completely after using it for so long may be the only way to see if any changes occur.

Wikipedia on PTFE -
The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases[18] and a sublimate. Animal studies indicate that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F),[19] although birds are proven to be much more sensitive to these decomposition products.[18][20]

While PTFE is stable and nontoxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F).[21] These degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[21]

Meat is usually fried between 200 and 230 °C (392 and 446 °F), and most oils will start to smoke before a temperature of 260 °C is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (refined safflower oil and avocado oil) that have a higher smoke point than 260 °C. Empty cookware can also exceed this temperature upon heating.

I think I just talked myself out of these. also that 1 MFG of these products in China just helped as well. I am sick of thinking about ingesting poison put in things that I have purchased in good faith and then finding out that I am probably poisoning my family.

maybe I will just switch back to the old cast iron pots and pans. I only cook with open flame anyway, seems before anyone ever heard of teflon, cast iron well taken care of was always the bomb. not as pretty though is it.

Would really like a set of these but won’t buy if they’re made in China…can anyone confirm that they are made in Spain?

I’m thinking the way my luck goes.

If only 1% were from China, I’d be a shoe in for one of those sets.

Also, the way my thinking is, If it were made in China that fact would not be a selling point. So why not leave it out? and they did leave it out.

being made almost anywhere else in the entire world is a selling point and they did not include that.

see what I mean? I was just looking up all the alternatives to the non stick surfaced pots and pans that contain PFTE and ceramic ( like the brand xreama) seems really attractive, except for the fact that they can be broken and impact breaks are not covered by warranty. Having kids and the cost of this cookware would make me insane at 400.00 a set. plus the sets not really even big enough for me.

It’s hard to conceive that cast iron cookware may be the way for me to go. but it’s looking more and more that way. seems a pain to keep up and I got away from it long ago but i am starting to miss the simpleness of using it. really the weight and o9ld school look is the only real drawbacks, it doesn’t appear clean and nice in the kitchen but the peace of mind I had when I only had cast iron was a real clincher.

My brains hurting from all this early morning thinking. or maybe it’s the teflon. Grrr.

Yep, def just got a set. I needed a new set as it is. And these look fantastic!

Am I the only one who has never heard of a sheep’s foot knife?

Never heard of the bird beak either, but at least I can see where that comes from.

Yes, according to the description on Fagor’s webpage:
“Magnificently designed to go from the stovetop or oven to an elegant table presentation.”

A shame that they’re pretty and all and seem good quality, but I cannot have anything with PTFEs, unless it is something simple like a frying pan that I will be constantly monitoring on a relatively low heat setting.

Thank you to those mentioning the ptfe’s. I have two parrots–one a macaw, which tend to have extra-sensitive respiratory systems–and do not like to take chances.

While it is rare to heat the pan enough to release the toxins (though experts debate the exact temperature it seems) the pots are especially easy to do this with, particularly when boiling creams or milk on high settings.

Would love if Woot would offer stainless steel or iron options–no PTFEs or teflon (which uses PTFEs)

Please note: Birds are only more sensitive to these gasses because when they breathe the oxygen cycles through their lungs and throw the air sacs in their major bones before entering the lungs again. They basically process the oxygen twice, which means they do not breathe it out as fast as we do (it is not due to their smaller size, though that may contribute). Essentially, PTFEs are just as harmful to humans…we just have a better chance at surviving consumption of them. That’s just something to think about when it comes to owning such materials…particularly if you have a bad habit of burning your pans.

I would suggest not getting aluminum cooking products, the coatings break down over time and aluminum leaches into your food. It has shown to collect in the brain and other organs and is believed to contribute to things like Alzhiemer’s. Just an opinion.

My wife says the green looks like the color of a sinus infection. I told her it didn’t matter what color they are, she’ll use them and like it.

After I woke up, I agreed that it was an ugly color.

No one is talking about the knives so…

From the Fagor’s webpage:

I’m not sure if it’s a problem with translation (from Spanish), but metal blades don’t decay – especially in a home environment. Perhaps they meant decaying food that got stuck on the blades?

These knives sound great. My only concern is that the resin coating may keep them from being sharpened. A recent Woot for coated Kuhn Rikon knives claims that they can be sharpened so maybe it’s a non-issue, but Fagor says no such thing.

With a set this large and cute, how could you go wrong for $99?! To bad today isn’t pay day!

Alright, QuanTanium is a new non-stick coating out there, and there have been a lot of questions about it. After several emails and such I have finally got the definitive answer on the safety of Quantanium. Keep in mind that there has been a lot of mis-information out there. There was a much older thread where someone had email Cuisinart and they had said that QuanTanium is safe, but it is not.

Here is the answer straight from the horse’s mouth, Whitford Corporation, the company that designed QuanTanium:

I’m not quite sure why we didn’t respond to you in the past, but I will this time.

As a supplier of nonstick coatings, we are very well aware of the problem of pet birds and overheated nonstick coatings.

While it is true that the fumes from decomposing PTFE (e.g. “Teflon”) can be fatal to birds, the fumes from overheated foods can have the same effect. In fact, the toxic fumes from over heated foods are emitted far below the temperatures required to decompose PTFE. In many cases, PTFE takes the blame when it was actually the food being burned which was the culprit.

To answer your specific question, yes, QuanTanium does contain PTFE. Virtually every quality nonstick on the market contains PTFE as the nonstick component. If you are looking for good cookware which has a nonstick coating, you will not find any that do not contain PTFE.

Your choices will be to use uncoated cookware or to use coated cookware carefully. As you point out in your email, “PTFE is potentially lethal to” pet birds. Properly used, nonstick coatings provide a safe, healthful way of cooking.

I hope this answers you questions and possibly allays some concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Best regards,

John

John Badner
Business Mgr/Consumer Products
Whitford Corporation
Tel: (610) 296-3200 Ext: 261
Fax: (610) 647-4849
jbadner@whitfordww.com

"I’m not sure if it’s a problem with translation (from Spanish), but metal blades don’t decay – "

Rust is a form of Decay. High Carbon steel makes a great knife but is normally prone to rust.

We have a set of similar knives and like them a lot.

my cast iron never sticks all you have to do is seal it properly. i never wash fry pans with soap or put them in dishwasher. never get sick or have anything stick. like the look. i have very expensive la creuset pretty white pots that were over heated in oven and now look like crap. totally stained and impossible to clean.

I use Circulon non-stick and never get sick or have anything stick too. I also pay attention when I cook so I don’t boil off or burn foods into the pan.

If you’re concerned about it, then don’t buy this and go out and buy cast iron or regular aluminum, and some steel wool for scrubbing.

Would have loved to have bought these pans but I am not gentle enough; since it will scratch wear out with time like this site http://www.ehow.com/about_5884131_anodized-aluminum-dangers.html says…will keep waiting for the more expensive hard anodized to come down in price.

So you think this set would be as safe as the Circulon?

I love my Le Creuset enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I cannot say enough about how awesome it is. I love the natural non-sticky-ness of the ceramic/enamel coating. It’s heavy as hell and was super expensive (I was lucky enough to get it as a housewarming gift), but it cooks everything so nicely and looks great. I am always on the search for additional pieces on sale since I really can’t afford a whole kitchen full of the stuff at full price.

In the meantime I’ll continue poisoning myself slowly with 15 year old non-stick Te-Fal frying pans that my grandma got me when I got my first college apartment.

I would assume so. Though I would be careful using it on induction or glass electric cooktops, since mine came with a warning about ceramic coated cookware that it could fuse to the surface if you let the pan get too hot or boil dry.

So if you don’t heat these things up past 550 the chemical stays intact and doesn’t get into the food or released into the air?