Falling Dreams

The unconventional color scheme is what makes it for me. Fiery colors would have been quite a cliche, this has an extra level of melancholy. The wax has melted in the glare of the sun and now Icarus is falling in shadow, or maybe this is his ghost?

It works for me just fine. It certainly does convey the mood better than a sunny background would’ve, and art doesn’t always have to be literal, IMO.

I named my dog Icarus, so of course I had to buy this shirt. :slight_smile:

“His story is always told as a cautionary tale: ‘Don’t play with fire or you’ll get burned.’ But sometimes I think maybe everyone has missed the point. Maybe the whole point of the story is that Icarus gets to touch the sun. And maybe that’s worth crashing into the rocky coast of the Aegean.” --Aria #1

Yep, totally agree.

Have you ever seen pictures of an actual spacewalk/EVA? Does it look like the astronauts are floating around on a bright, sunny day? It’s dark in space. And when your dreams die.

Physicist-friendly response: There’s about 92,960,000 miles of pitch black void between the sun and Earth. This shirt depicts him somewhere in there. (Ignore the fact that there is no air in space thus making wings of any sort useless. And the fact that he wouldn’t actually fall back to Earth. And the fact that you can’t fly with makeshift wings.)

Artist-friendly response: The artist is trying to illustrate the feeling of total defeat and failure. The further Icarus falls from the sun, the darker his world becomes. It’s deep maaaaaan!

Sweet! More Kid Icarus shirts, please!

kthxbye

This shirt goes perfectly with this very much related (and awesome) song by Brave Saint Saturn:

[youtube=hXjibdWCUPU][/youtube]

Icarus actually flew too close to the Rising Sun, not the sun itself. It’s been the ruin of many a poor boy…quite often at night.

Wow. I’ve always enjoyed patrickspens designs, but this one is really special.

Thanks, Mr. Artist, sir!

Be the most obscure at the next Iron Maiden Concert!
Maybe you could finally meet the Naughty Librarian there and check that off your bucket list.

Love this design. But I do agree with the others and I would prefer it in bright/warm colors. I’m an Icarus fan AND I can’t wear dark colors due to a shedding white dog (I can wear 'em, but I look like a lint roller after an hour).

Reprint!? Save an orange version for a Tuesday?

Because it took him about 12 hours to fall back to Earth… Trust me, it makes sense. Because science.

Where’s Felix Baumgartner when you need him?

Congratulations !

Duct tape, dude. Doesn’t melt.

Alas, my love for patrickspens’ designs once again trumps my hatred of the new Woot shirt blanks.

See, I thought about the space explanation but that doesn’t work either. The ancient greeks had no concept of space, their gods lived on a mountain and they thought the sun was dragged across the sky by a chariot.

You can’t bring physics or science into it because of course you can’t actually fly close enough to a star to have melty wax wings.

Artistic interpretation, blah blah blah :stuck_out_tongue:

Reminds me of Going Away is the Bluebird from a few years ago.