Famous Maker 20” LCD Monitor with DVI

Same here. Got it for $10 more the last time it was on Woot.

I love this monitor and I was hoping it would come up again so I could have matching dual monitors. (Right now I have this HP and to the right of it a Dell 19" that’s 4:3. So it looks cobbled together, the two monitors next to each other. It looks kind of hillbilly, to be frank.)

So I have to get another.

Here is what I am talking about, looks sheety to me:

http://www.bullpooper.com/wootmonitorcompare.jpg

Sidenote on mine from the last Woot. The box arrived with a big hole in one corner. I thought for sure the monitor was damaged.

However, it is packed with big pieces of Styrofoam all around the monitor, so it was perfect.

No dead pixels either.

At $95 this is a steal people. It’s a no brainer.

Bonus sidenote: I like this one because it has the old style DVI (Digital Video Interface) and VGA ports. My computers don’t have HDMI yet (my desktop video cards are about three years old now) so HDMI is not included.

Duly note that DVI technology is ten years old, this year coincidentally. But with so many changes coming up (Blu-Ray, 100GB SDHC chips, USB 3.0, SSD, Windows 7, etc.) I have decided to wait until 2011 before replacing my desktops. By then a Blu-Ray drive, that’s replacing DVD drives, will be $50. LOL. So this monitor can see me through to 2011.

Something to think about, albeit HDMI to DVI is compatible. If you have a computer with HDMI you can buy HDMI to DVI adapters on eBay, for about $5. For now, I am fine with not having an HDMI port.

Yes. That is something you have to think about because you cannot see as much on a page since the height is less than a 4:3 monitor (that is more square than this one).

This monitor is similar in concept to the multimedia “movie playing” notebook computers.

The trade off for less real estate height wise is that when playing movies the display is fantastic. In this regard it is similar to the effect you see at movie theaters, where wide screen is the format of choice. The only theaters with square screens are the outdated movie houses in the sticks.

It does take some getting used to, less viewing space in terms of height. But eventually you don’t notice.

If on the Net you can also compensate by zooming out to a smaller resolution. That control is in the lower right corner of your browser (where the current setting is indicated as a percentage).

I extremely recommend this if you are looking for a cost-efficient, high-res monitor. I also purchased mine a few months ago and i love it (i am considering purchasing another one.) So, if you are looking for an awesome, cheap and dependable monitor, you found it here.

I’ve also one of these, plus a 25" and a 23"(just like what is sold out on woot - AFTER I bought another one). The 23" I gave as a Christmas present and the recipient was so happy with it they requested another.

The 25" is connected to a HD DVR cable box and cheap home theatre system to use as a HDTV.

Note: The flat square of plastic on the back of this monitor hides the VESA mounting spot and the stand is removable, so mounting this on a wall or extension bracket is easy.

Hey woot… suggestion/request: next time you limit purchases to something other than three, how about letting us know right up front. I spent all day trying to decide between one or two of these… could have saved me lots of time!

The status of my order hasn’t changed to ‘shipped’ yet? Is there a known delay with this woot?

still waiting here too

I just came back to check too, and still no tracking number. Maybe it’ll just show up as a surprise sometime this week?

Same, no shipping. That would be nice for it to magically appear at my door though. :slight_smile:

Same here, still no shipping

I still don’t show anything either.

My status hasn’t changed to shipped either.

got mine at 6:37PM thanks woot

Good thing I came back, I got mine now too. Squeaky wheel gets the grease! Thanks woot, now I just have to wait for the long trip here from Arizona.

Just got mine. Only slight problem, the hinge on the stand seems to be stuck in the shipped position. I can’t get it to move for love nor money. I’ve removed it from the monitor itself so I can fiddle with it without damage to the actual monitor.

I’m considering some WD-40, but am seriously worried about damaging it.

Anyone else have this problem?

I’ve laid the monitor flat on my desk and plugged it in to check for dead pixels, etc. and the picture is gorgeous. Not a dead pixel in sight, which is more than I can say for an Envision monitor we bought on woot two years ago.

If I can just get the stand fixed, I’ll be in great shape.

Yep,

same here. Had i tried to tilt it with the monitor attached, I’m convinced the monitor would have broke. I took it off and then, basically, pulled so hard I thought the stand was gonna break until the hinge finally gave way. It did take a great deal of force to get that thing to move. Like I say, i thought it might actually break given the amount of pressure I was applying. I didn’t use any lubricant, but it certainly might be worth a try.

The quality of the image is terrific, and didn’t appear to have any dead pixels.

good luck,
jeff

Just got this and it looks great! No dead pixels, started right up, works great!

Jeff, thanks for replying. You gave me the courage to mess with it.

I unscrewed it from the monitor because absolutely, it would have broken the monitor if I had left it attached.

WD40 did nothing but make it harder to deal with. We ended up literally taking the stand bit apart, removing as much of the plastic casing as we could to access the hinge and nuts. Unfortunately, they are locking nuts, so it was a really difficult thing to mess with, but finally my husband got them loosened a little bit so that we could move the metal swinging bit.

I put the plastic casing back together, and it’s all great now. The picture is fantastic, and there are absolutely no display issues like with our Envision, which for some reason, even after altering the settings, made the display of the desktop hang over to the far left, no matter what, and cut off part of the display.

Argh… Got mine yesterday, plugged it in, and it died after about 15 minutes. It was a little dim to begin with and the image was a little wavy then it just stopped working. I’ve never had problems with refurbs before, but this one’s a definite downer.