Famous Maker 23” Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
All your BoCs are belong to wooters.us

Famous Maker 23” Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI [Refurbished] - $139.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Famous Maker TS-23W8H 23” Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI and VGA

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

I bought one of these the last time it came up. It is well worth the price. I think it’s an HP judging by the styling

Previous Woot

or here

another

It is, it’s an HP monitor debranded for businesses and movie/tv sets.

once again, these were HP monitors, they’re nice, and this is a pretty good deal. woot sells a lot of these things, and the discussion thread is always the same.

it’s got HDMI and VGA, and before you whine about no DVI, you can get a DVI to HDMI converter, or even cable, for cheap over at monoprice. if you don’t know this already, welcome to the internet!

Would this “Famous Maker” be the same one that has initials similar to “Heat-damaged Processor?”

On a long enough timeline, everything is a previous woot.

Actually, this “Famous Maker” is the same one that has initials similar to “Hewlett Packard”.

Product Website

I have concerns over the sturdiness of the base – does it swivel or tilt?..

Here are some reviews:

cnet

ZDnet

PC Mag

…and some YouTube videos:

unboxing

review

customer video

From “Famous Maker’s” site:

“Adjust the monitor angle from left to right and top to bottom using the tilt and swivel feature.”

http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/overview/fn747aa_side_right.jpg

I don’t have this specific model, but we have two HP monitors in my house - one low-end and one high-end, and the bases on both are very stable.

Also: “Mount on a wall: the base is detachable (wall adapter not included)”

I bought one last time and am using it as my secondary monitor. So far it’s been great. Make sure that you adjust the overscan settings in your videocard drivers if you’re using HDMI (otherwise you end up with a ~1" black border around the picture). Contrast looks good, brightness is good, the glossy screen is nice as long as you don’t have a lot of backlighting.

I paid 3x as much for my 24" main display and dollar for dollar this display is a way better value. Only negatives I can think of are that overscan issue (more an issue with the videocard manufacturers), slightly wobbly adjustment, and the cheap stickers that cover what used to be HP branding (shhh!).

No swivel, but it does tilt. The adjustment is a little creaky the way most monitors are - you push it back but it goes a bit too far, then pull forward, and have to adjust back and forth a little bit. As far as everday sturdiness when not adjusting, it’s pretty good - mine only ever wobbles around when my leg slams into my desk.

My post disappeared. Hmm…

Anyway, as I was saying, bought one of the 20" version of this monitor in October 2009, was $100.

A fantastic monitor.

Tip: If your computer video card has only the 15 pin VGA port, get a better card. Nowadays a video card with HDMI and DVI ports can be had for less than $100. While it’s not a gaming video card, you really need to update if your card has only VGA ports.

For those who have only DVI ports on the card, for less than $5 shipped you can get an HDMI to DVI adapter. Works fine.

http://tinyurl.com/ebayHDMIDvi

I would NOT get the more expensive cable, that is, if you already have some HDMI cables that you bought on Woot. :wink:

Here is HP’s support site for my 20" “famous maker” monitor:

http://tinyurl.com/HPFamousMaker

Search around, I am sure there’s a page for this 23" monitor.

The base is made to look like the monitor is suspended in the air.

But behind it the base that is attached to the monitor spans the width of the metal looking base you see.

It is solid and firmly planted on any surface.

Oh, forgot to mention.

My 20" is also an HD monitor, but the resolution on this 23" is even better.

Mine has a max resolution of 1600 x 900.

This 23" has 1920 x 1080. You could put two web pages or Word documents side by side on just this one monitor and it would look fine.

I love mine. However, the fact that they go on sale now and again begs the question, “aren’t they ever going to run out of these?” That’s actually not a bad thing since I would definitely buy one again.