Famous Maker 23” Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI

I have two of these and just picked up my third. Excellent buy!

I’ve got 5 of these from previous woots (and 4 of the 25" versions)

They are excellent displays with a vibrant clear 1080p picture.

I have purchased this monitor late last year and now I have permanent vertical lines. Proceed with caution

Just bought my second. I picked one of these up the last time it was offered a few weeks ago which was only “1 per customer” and couldn’t wait until Woot offered them again. Picture quality is great, but haven’t tried using it as a TV yet.

Works great. Built-in speakers not recommended, though.

I’m FINALLY in for one. Had no need for them on previous woots but today I’m just so happening to pick up my wife anew MacMini, and our old monitor is GARBAGE. Great woot.

What about using this as a TV? I am aware it requires HDMI, I got that covered. The little (19") one that was in the bedroom finally died, but small LCD TVs seem overpriced. I was wondering about using one of these guys. Thoughts?

Picked up two of these from two separate previous Woots, and they are well worth the purchase price. No dead pixels, vibrant colours, deep blacks. More information I picked up the last time these came up:

-These are HP w2338h de-brands. The emblem on the front has been swapped out, but the molded-in emblem on the back is just covered with a large sticker, and easily peels off.
-They are re-branded so as not to flood the consumer market with the main model, and so keep the ‘brand name’ version’s price up, not due to any defects.
-No DVI. Just get an adapter to VGA DB15 or HDMI, if your card didn’t come with one or both. They’re cheap.
-I have noticed no difference in video quality comparing the VGA and HDMI connections (No ghosting, refresh blips, etc).
-The screen is glossy, not matte. Plan positioning ahead to avoid sun glare.
-The monitor will tilt forward and back to a reasonable extent, but ‘swivel’ entails turning the base.
-Yes, this will take ANY HDMI source, so it can be used as a TV for HDMI-capable (or VGA-capable) consoles, as well as HDMI-capable TV tuners and DVD/BluRay players.
-The speakers suck compared to a standalone audio setup, but are quite good for 2W built-ins.
-Speaking of which, there is no headphone out.
-Adjusting the volume of the internal speakers is a bit annoying.

I definitely would pick up another if I had a need for a third main monitor… especially at this price. Truly one of the best deals on Woot, and even more so as they keep bringing them back.

my old monitor just died, so I’m thrilled to see this here. I have the 24" and <3 it!

I have this monitor (previous woot) and love it. The base is sturdy and it tilts but does not swivel.

I picked this up last time too. I am impressed overall with it. I do have one problem I haven’t yet figured out. When I connect it to my laptop it seems to work fine. But when I connect it to my cable-box over HDMI I get lots of little green pixels showing up periodically. Not sure what is going on here yet.

BAH. HP I hate you. Why can’t you make a standard MONITOR resolution screen. I HATE this “FULL HD” or “1080p” crap. I want 1900x1200 resolution. Come on!

It’s funny that HP’s website says “tilt and swivel feature,” and at least a couple of the reviews parrot that, yet 2 Wooters have now said it doesn’t swivel.

I think you have to listen to the Wooters who actually own the thing, rather than “famous maker.”

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again. I get a strong “flicker” (horizontal fast moving lines) when viewing any solid off white background with this monitor. Otherwise It has a great picture.

While it certainly isn’t going to fall over, it doesn’t take much at all to get the monitor wobbling. I grabbed one on the last wooting, and found that bumping my desk at all would get it rocking. I ditched the base and put it on one of these mounts and I couldn’t be happier with it.

This is an awesome monitor for the price.

Bought this monitor for my dad’s new computer a few weeks ago when Woot had it. I loved it so much that I had to get my own this time.

I didn’t have to do anything with the overscan though using a Nvidia GTX260 video card.

At 58watts, it is using twice as much as Dell’s ST2310.

How exactly do you change the volume of the speakers? I tried using this monitor as my tv but then couldn’t figure out how to change the volume so I had to give up. Advice?

Any product, especially monitors, are going to have a defect.

Because of this, on my 20" I bought in October 2009 I bought the Square Trade warranty on this “Famous Maker” monitor. For two years I think it was $20.

For me, considering how inexpensive these monitors are, adding in the warranty was OK, this time, as I usually pass on warranties. But the Square Trade covers it 100% so I figured it was an OK deal.

Did you get the warranty? If so, make a claim since what you describe is covered.

I don’t have this model, but I believe speakers on a monitor can be adjusted via the OSD (on screen display).

On my 20" version of this there is a dedicated button for “Volume.”

On pressing the button a “Volume” graphic shows up. On pressing that one would then quickly press the “+” or “-” keys.

There is also a picture of this monitor’s controls, on the Woot front page. I have looked at it; there is the speaker icon on one of the hardware controls. So that is the same as mine. Use that to adjust the volume.

It’s a “hassle” because there’s no infrared detector and remote. Pressing a button and then the “+” and “-” keys after this is a drag.

But then again, if you are connecting this via HDMI to a cable box controller and using it as an HDTV, heck where can you get an HDTV for $140!!!

And since you can use the cable box controller to change the channel, I don’t look at it as a big hassle to get up to adjust the volume.