Famous Maker 27” Widescreen 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI

Three stars on CNET Reviews

From CNET:

The good: The HP 2709m includes screen tilt and swivel, built-in speakers, and an ambient light sensor.

The bad: The HP 2709m has frequent screen tearing in games and movies, and its presets over-saturate the colors.

The bottom line: The HP 2709m’s lack of features makes it less desirable than HP’s own similarly priced w2558hc.

Oh wow, this looks great. If I had my tax refund, it’d be ordered already.

So what’s up with the debranding of these monitors? Is it similar to recertified or remanufactured equipment? Is that why is has the 90-day warranty?

He’s off tonight. Will I do?

Just guessing, but this seems logical

They do that so the original manufacturer or branded company doesn’t have to carry the warranty.

Apparently HP doesn’t like refurbishing their monitors and leaving its name on it. Thus the “Famous maker”
And HP doesn’t do the warranty work. TSSI does.
Yes it’s “recertified/refurbished”

I think its this

http://www.tssius.com/overview.html

I bought the 24" version last time and had to return it too Wootfor a refund. It developed a red vertical line on one side of the screen.Others have developed the same problem. I don’t know if this will apply to the 27" but I’m not sure I want to test the waters again. Wooters beware!

Oops you beat me. I posted it below. Sorry for stepping on your posts.

i see, its a refurb company.

That looks exactly like this one by the specs. Good price on this one.

My guess is that the refurbishing is done by TSSI, not HP, hence the debranding and the warranty.

I picked up the 20" version a while back, and I absolutely love it. This “Famous Brand” does a great job and you get it at a great discount. It’s got a thick bezel, but I still don’t mind it in my dual monitor display.

I wish I could find a good reason to add to my monitor fleet. I suppose my 22 and my 20 inch monitors will have to due, supported by my other older 19inch square format lcd.

So can you use this as a TV or only hook it to your computer?

It doesn’t have a tuner card, I don’t believe. But you could use it as a TV if you get a tuner card (via PCI card or otherwise).

Product page for this monitor before it fell into TSSI’s hands.

71.46 PPI, 0.3555mm dot pitch, 5106 PPI². 72 dpi was the old Mac standard and good for publishing; not quite the best any longer for desktop computers. However, it is great for a TV. Put this on the coffee table and pretend it’s bigger?

This is the pixel density of a TV, not a computer monitor.

Great, they took the tuner out of the TV, called it a computer monitor, now they’re trying to sell it to us after someone else didn’t want it.

I predict large numbers in Florida. Full of old people with bad eyesight, the only possible demographic for this product.

Will this monitor decode audio from the HDMI and play it through the speakers? Or do I need to use a 3.5mm audio cable?

I’ve got a slightly smaller version, and I’d have to say that without a doubt it is the best monitor I’ve owned. Very crisp image, and the widescreen factor is a plus. I had never been so immersed in a game until I played with my Famous Maker. Its a refurb, yet it came in perfect condition. Only gripe is that the speakers on either side project strangely, and even at its maximum, the sound is still not very loud. Buy external speakers!

I’ve used the 24" Famous Maker as a pc monitor for hours nearly every day since I got it from sellout.woot last August. It is, without doubt, the best monitor I’ve ever used. Period. When I saw these in Office Despot a few years ago, I was concerned about glare from the glossy surface, but in my average lit environment there’s only minimal glare when displaying darker images.

I’d really appreciate any comments from wooters who might have used both this one and the 24" version for desktop pc use. I’m particularly curious about text. Ghosting, viewing angle and misc features aren’t as important to me as nice, crisp text. Thanks!